Main Menu

CAP Business Cards

Started by Lloyd Bumanglag Capt,CAP, September 23, 2008, 05:50:46 PM

dwb

Quote from: Stonewall on December 04, 2008, 06:34:57 PMMe neither.  But isn't that what we're using these days?  I actually found it on an af.mil site as our official emblem.

We have many official emblems. :)  The circle with words around the edge, the circle with prop, the MAJCOM-style logo (all three versions), logos with the above nested in the funky-looking USAF wings, etc.

Don't get Kieloch started on that.

Stonewall

This has always been my favorite.  That MAJCOM cartoon looking thing we have on our van looks weak to me.

This looks much more official on the corporate vans:

Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Honestly, I've always like the CAP Emblem (blue circle with the white triangle and the CAP rocker).  It speaks to our past, is clean and simple hasn't changed.

I dispise the command patch being used on everything, I think it is horrible for a corporate logo, the seal is too complicated and busy, the AF Logo with the CAP Seal looks terrible to. (IMO).

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Stonewall on December 04, 2008, 06:58:11 PM
This has always been my favorite.  That MAJCOM cartoon looking thing we have on our van looks weak to me.

This looks much more official on the corporate vans:

Thanks! I drew that for Air Force News Service -- it was posted to Air Force Link back in 1999 or 2000.

(Really, I did. I get a kick out of seeing it around.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Pylon

Quote from: dwb on December 04, 2008, 06:46:30 PM
Don't get Kieloch started on that.

You rang for an irritated communications guy?   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

FYI.  I went with the design I showed earlier and while I agree with Jimmy and the logo, I went with what I had.  It was only $25 and I can order more at a 25% discount now with a coupon they sent me.

Anyhoo, with my phone number edited, here is what I got, front and back (back was an extra $6.00).

They are very professionally done.  Hard stock, just like the ones my company issues me. 
Serving since 1987.

Gunner C

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 26, 2008, 01:35:48 PM
I recently threw out all of my leftover business cards because I realized they were too ostentatious. 

I decided to go with the "don't be afraid of whitespace" approach.  I've attached what I'm using now.

Try this:  Maj Clark Kent

It's not a signature block and putting CAP on there is redundant.

Gunner C

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2008, 06:56:07 PM
Here are 3 different business cards that I've had over the years.  The top card is the first one I got, while I was stationed in the Pentagon and found they had a CAP seal in the "personalized service" shop, circa 1994.

The middle one is a format I can't seem to find on my computer, but a cadet actually gave it to me.

The bottom one is just something I put together on Word.
Once again, using Lt Col Xxxx Yyyy, CAP is unneeded.  Everyone, for some reason, wants to put that after everyone's name, no matter how many times it's replicated.  If you have CAP on the card, such as a CAP emblem, then it's redundant.  Just put Rank Fname Lname.

Gunner

MIKE

If you put grade and name, you need the , CAP... Standard sig per CAPR 10-1.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on December 17, 2008, 03:39:36 PM

Although I agree with Gunner, it does fall under the Department of Redundancy Department, I always add the "CAP" at the end. 

But would this be considered an "official" signature block?

Perhaps it is important to put the CAP at the end since the card also has the words "US AIR FORCE" on it and we don't want to misrepresent ourselves.  In the grand scheme of things, it isn't a big deal, but right is right.
Serving since 1987.

Gunner C

Quote from: MIKE on December 17, 2008, 03:39:36 PM

Where in 10-1 does it discuss business cards, even remotely?  You're talking about signature blocks.  Your business card doesn't have your signature.  The purpose of a signature block it to establish your authority for the signature.  CAP is CRAZY with signature blocks.  Emails are the worst offenders - check the pen and quill for how to end an email -

Rank Fname Lname
Duty (If appropriate)

If you have CAP plastered all over the card, you don't need CAP after your name.  It's like having:

ANYTOWN USA MEDICAL CLINIC

Dr John Doe, MD
Physician

;D

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunner C on December 17, 2008, 08:20:12 PM
If you have CAP plastered all over the card, you don't need CAP after your name. 

Not only does the reg require it, but just because you are affiliated with CAP, doesn't mean your grade was conferred by them.  I would point to the CAP-USAF people as examples, or those who hold the same grade in a combatant service.

Here's what I'm using, recently updated with the current MAJCOM.

The "AA###" above the contact info is my radio callsign - as useful to anyone outside CAP as a DSN is to anyone not on a military base, but handy when needed.
I created them in MS Publisher and print as needed on the clean break cards. If anyone wants the .pub file, just PM me.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

IF I include my rank/grade, I always print CAP immediately afterward.  Admittedly I wasn't aware of CAPR 10-1, but I am not a military officer, never have been, and prefer to avoid the possibility of anyone thinking I'm a poser.  Spelling out in great detail who I am (and am not) helps avoid that.  Much of the time I don't bother with the rank/grade at all. 

Overly cautious?  Perhaps.  Here's why: I've met enough people in and out of CAP who bask in unearned glory by introducing themselves in a vague manner that leaves room for misinterpretation.

Example:
"I work for the sheriff's department" said while acting like a cop (open to interpretation), versus "I'm an evidence technician for the sheriff's department."

So, I prefer to state "I'm a member of the Civil Air Patrol" instead of "I'm a Captain in the Air Force Auxiliary." 

While all the phrases may be technically correct, some leave plenty of room to draw improper conclusions and are valuable tools in the wannabe tool kit.  Me?  I want to stay as far away from that as possible. So I plaster CAP all over my business cards even at the risk of being redundant.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Stonewall

Quote from: wuzafuzz on January 17, 2009, 02:08:21 PMOverly cautious?  Perhaps.  Here's why: I've met enough people in and out of CAP who bask in unearned glory by introducing themselves in a vague manner that leaves room for misinterpretation.

Example:
"I work for the sheriff's department" said while acting like a cop (open to interpretation), versus "I'm an evidence technician for the sheriff's department."

So, I prefer to state "I'm a member of the Civil Air Patrol" instead of "I'm a Captain in the Air Force Auxiliary." 

I understand what you're saying, to an extent, but I don't think it's all that necessary.  You could always say you're a "a captain in the Civil Air Patrol".  I do know of people who say things like "when I was in Special Forces", when he was an NQP (non-qualified person) at an SF unit and everyone believes he was an "operator".

That said, I'm sure this next part will really pi$$ off some of my fellow veterans.  I believe there to be this stigma attached to military service that has people believing it's so honorable that no one should dare talk about it unless you've served.  Serving in the military is honorable, I agree.  But so is being a teacher, a trash man, meter maid, corrections officer, or air traffic controller.  More so in the uniform discussions than elsewhere, you often see people saying "we are not the military" or "I don't want people to think I'm trying to be a real military officer".  My guess is that one out of a thousand may be offended.  I learned in government class "minorities have rights, but majority rules".  I'm not talking racial issues either, so don't go there.

Don't be afraid or even concerned with being a poser if you're not making an effort to be one.  If you follow the CAP regulations as far as uniforms, signature blocks, customs and courtesies, you'll be fine.  Respect the veterans and those who serve, that's great.  But do not fear them.  Don't worry about insulting them.  The military is not all it's cracked up to be as in it ain't that big of a deal.  There are tough parts of military life, but there are some who are more "civilian" than CAP members.  If you can get through a couple month basic recruit training, which I'm convinced most people can, then you too can see that it ain't no big thing.

Bottom line, don't worry about being accused of being a [military] poser if you aren't one.
Serving since 1987.

BuckeyeDEJ

Heck, I just leave it at "I play Air Force on the weekends" for most people. It avoids the complication of having an explanation right off the bat to answer "what's Civil Air Patrol?"

If they ask, usually, "are you in the reserve?" or "are you in the guard?," then I explain.

"No, I'm in Civil Air Patrol, which is the uniformed civilian auxiliary of the Air Force. We're federal, but we're all volunteers."

Then if they're further interested, I'll give 'em the schpeal. "I command a hybrid unit that both flies and trains cadets," yada yada. I tell 'em about where we are, give 'em an idea of who we have aboard, and if they're still interested, I invite 'em out.

It would be nice if CAP NHQ would set up a common business-card template, following CAP regulations (and, if that doesn't specify anything, Air Force regulations). It'd save us from reinventing the wheel every time!

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

CAPLAW

Quote from: Stonewall on January 17, 2009, 02:40:20 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on January 17, 2009, 02:08:21 PMOverly cautious?  Perhaps.  Here's why: I've met enough people in and out of CAP who bask in unearned glory by introducing themselves in a vague manner that leaves room for misinterpretation.

Example:

I understand what you're saying, to an extent, but I don't think it's all that necessary.  You could always say you're a "a captain in the Civil Air Patrol".  I do know of people who say things like "when I was in Special Forces", when he was an NQP (non-qualified person) at an SF unit and everyone believes he was an "operator".

That said, I'm sure this next part will really pi$$ off some of my fellow veterans.  I believe there to be this stigma attached to military service that has people believing it's so honorable that no one should dare talk about it unless you've served.  Serving in the military is honorable, I agree.  But so is being a teacher, a trash man, meter maid, corrections officer, or air traffic controller.  More so in the uniform discussions than elsewhere, you often see people saying "we are not the military" or "I don't want people to think I'm trying to be a real military officer".  My guess is that one out of a thousand may be offended.  I learned in government class "minorities have rights, but majority rules".  I'm not talking racial issues either, so don't go there.

Don't be afraid or even concerned with being a poser if you're not making an effort to be one.  If you follow the CAP regulations as far as uniforms, signature blocks, customs and courtesies, you'll be fine.  Respect the veterans and those who serve, that's great.  But do not fear them.  Don't worry about insulting them.  The military is not all it's cracked up to be as in it ain't that big of a deal.  There are tough parts of military life, but there are some who are more "civilian" than CAP members.  If you can get through a couple month basic recruit training, which I'm convinced most people can, then you too can see that it ain't no big thing.

Bottom line, don't worry about being accused of being a [military] poser if you aren't one.

AMEN  More people in CAP need to think like this.  Thank You Stonewall  for you thoughts

tarheel gumby

Quote from: "JAFO" on January 18, 2009, 08:29:17 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on January 17, 2009, 02:40:20 PM

Example:

AMEN  More people in CAP need to think like this.  Thank You Stonewall  for you thoughts
Ditto. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

stratoflyer

You know, that was a big thing on my mind when designing my cards. I was actually debating whether or not to even put "Air Force Auxiliary" on my cards.

I like to tell people first that I'm in CAP as a non-profit volunteer organization that gets called out to function as the Air Force Auxiliary. Last time I checked, there are now laws that no longer make us the 24 hour aux that we once were. If I'm not misunderstanding anything here, we only are AUX when we are on a mission.

It kinda stinks, but that's what happened. So I think that members definitely need to understand what exactly they can and cannot emphasize on something like a business card.

And I certainly don't pretend to be a poser, but I've certainly have heard some comments about CAP. Usually it is out of a misunderstanding on their part. We all should be presenting ourselves as what we are--no more no less. And I agree that by following regulations we should be fine--sometimes it's really just that simple but we all have been surprised before.

And as long as the official seal has Air Force Auxiliary on it, so will my business cards.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 28, 2009, 05:41:28 AM
It kinda stinks, but that's what happened. So I think that members definitely need to understand what exactly they can and cannot emphasize on something like a business card.

The only thing required is that when printed, etc., CAP comes before USAF/Aux.

The relationship issue is primarily operational details and funding.  We are always the Auxiliary of the USAF, that never changes, we don't "function as it" we are it.

After people join we can put them to sleep with the socio-economic-political histrionics of our current relationship.  Those details don't change a thing about our ops tempo, uniforms, or who we are, they are just background noise.

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

^Thanks. Somedays I just have my doubts.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP