The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

Stonewall

Quote from: RiverAux on September 03, 2012, 11:42:46 PM
Seeing as how the only way for a senior member to get an extremely crazy number of ribbons is to earn a bunch in the military and then a bunch in CAP, I'd hesitate to call them silly.

The military has more silly ribbons than CAP, easy.  I also think it's silly for some to wear both sets of ribbons simultaneously.  Combined I have 39 ribbons, so not only would it be too costly, it would be too silly.  Sometimes there's a line that doesn't need to be crossed just for the point of showing off.
Serving since 1987.

West MI-CAP-Ret

The U. S. Air Force requires mbrs to either wear all ribbons or none.  CAP leaves it up to its mbrs good judgement.

Some mbrs only wear military ribbons.  Others wear CAP ribbons with their top line their highest military medals (on blues blouse I wear four ribbons until I reach the collar then three, etc).

Does anyone else have something else
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Brad

Quote from: Stonewall on September 04, 2012, 12:23:59 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 03, 2012, 11:42:46 PM
Seeing as how the only way for a senior member to get an extremely crazy number of ribbons is to earn a bunch in the military and then a bunch in CAP, I'd hesitate to call them silly.

The military has more silly ribbons than CAP, easy.  I also think it's silly for some to wear both sets of ribbons simultaneously.  Combined I have 39 ribbons, so not only would it be too costly, it would be too silly.  Sometimes there's a line that doesn't need to be crossed just for the point of showing off.

Silly ribbons you say?

The Ministry of Silly Walks Ribbons
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

manfredvonrichthofen

Now I came here for a good argument... And I'm going to get one!

flyboy53

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 21, 2012, 12:36:31 AM

Don't think so. It's personal choice. I don't wear everything. I tried, ended up with a tall four-row ribbon bar and found it difficult to line up wings and badges above the ribbons. So. I went back to just my military stuff and one row of CAP ribbons. Isn't that enough.....

umpirecali

Quote from: flyboy1 on October 21, 2012, 04:16:32 AM

Don't think so. It's personal choice. I don't wear everything. I tried, ended up with a tall four-row ribbon bar and found it difficult to line up wings and badges above the ribbons. So. I went back to just my military stuff and one row of CAP ribbons. Isn't that enough.....

You missed the Monty Python reference. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

umpirecali

[silly reference]
Oh look, this isn't an argument!
Yes it is!
No it isn't!
It's just contradiction!
No it isn't!
[/silly reference]
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

manfredvonrichthofen

OK, glad some got it. I have all of mine, active and CAP. Somewhere around six rows? Idk, but it's OK, all it takes is a little slide ruler, and its done. I say slide ruler, because I don't know (almost typed idk  ::) ) what else to call it, but it's a little blue ruler, really small and thin, and it has a little blue slider on it. But it's really easy to read, and you can adjust the slide and use it to find exact center on lines and get everything as lost to perfect as you can. But the cool thing is that you can slide it under any badge when pinned to the shirt or jacket, it really helps when linking it all up.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

SarDragon

You can get these cheaper at your local fabric store.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I've got a couple transparent pocket rulers from Wal*Mart, etc.

I've got a couple of the sewing guides as well, but have found they are generally more trouble then they are worth.

Or you can just squarely cut a strip of plastic or foamboard, etc., to 1/2", since that's what you'll need 99.99999% of the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSgt Van

The chrome tip of your belt is 1/2". Should always have that handy!

Garibaldi

I've always used a quarter to measure CAP cutouts and grade insignia. However, seeing as how not everyone carries a quarter these days, this sewing measuring thingy would be perfect for any situation.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

FYI, a quarter is 1.2 mm too small.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on October 24, 2012, 03:43:00 AM

YMMV.

Pbbt. Well, I guess I can see your point on that, but we used the quarter as the standard at encampment back in the day. Just sayin'.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 24, 2012, 05:47:26 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 24, 2012, 03:43:00 AM

YMMV.

Pbbt. Well, I guess I can see your point on that, but we used the quarter as the standard at encampment back in the day. Just sayin'.
What's nice about the small stitch Fisher is that it's small, thin, and can be slid up beneath the badges and ribbons so that it doesn't take a lot of manipulation, and it can get really accurate.

Chirpoff

Hello! I'm kind of new to posting here, so please forgive me and let me know if I'm in the wrong category, and I'll hop my question over there. :)

Do you know if there are any cadets that have ever earned all the cadet ribbons available? And are there any SMs that have earned all the SM ribbons - or both all cadet and SM ribbons together?

Just a curiosity question... it's an interesting thought.

James Shaw

These are the ribbons that CAP 39-3 show for cadets other than dual JROTC stuff added. I am sure that many cadets could earn alot of them but not all. The ones in the middle of the list from the Curry to the Spaatz can be earned if they stay in the program all the way through the Spaatz. The others are going to have more work to them and will be harder to quailfy for.

CADET RIBBONS
Decorations
Silver Medal of Valor
Bronze Medal of Valor
Distinguished Service Award
Exceptional Service Award
Meritorious Service Award
Commander's Commendation Award
CAP Achievement Award
Lifesaving Award
National Commander's Unit Citation Award
Unit Citation Award

Gen Carl A. Spaatz Award
Ira C. Eaker Award
Amelia Earhart Award
Gen Billy Mitchell Award
Neil Armstrong Achievement
Dr. Robert H. Goddard Achievement
Gen Jimmy F. Doolittle Achievement
Charles A. Lindbergh Achievement
Capt Eddie Rickenbacker Achievement
Wright Brothers Award
Mary Feik Achievement
Gen Hap Arnold Achievement
Gen J.F. Curry Achievement Service

Search "Find" Ribbon
Air Search and Rescue Ribbon
Disaster Relief Ribbon
Homeland Security Ribbon
Community Service Ribbon
IACE Ribbon
National Cadet Competition Ribbon
National Color Guard Competition Ribbon
Cadet Advisory Council Ribbon
Cadet Special Activity Ribbon
Encampment Ribbon
Cadet Recruiter Ribbon
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Texas Raiders

I commend CAP on granting veterans the option to wear their military awards/devices.  It's a very nice tip of the hat.  Not every veteran wants to wear them, but I do.  I come from a proud family with a strong military service background.  I am very proud of my service and what I accomplished while serving my country.  With all the fakers and imposters out there stealing real veterans' valor every day, I figure that if I don't wear mine, someone else will.  That's just my opinion.  Take it or leave it.  I will wear all of my military ribbons for as long as they fit while in standard rows of three.  Unfortunately, CAP doesn't recognize any USCG badges or devices (or at least none that I'm aware of) other than those from aviation specialties.  It is unfortunate because there are some devices/badges that signify great accomplishments in the USCG and are deemed more significant than many ribbons. 

Regardless of what you decide to wear, consult the appropriate charts for order and presidence as well as proper placement on the uniform.  Last but not least.....don't be a PX hero.  Earn it!

........and now, for something completely different.........
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000