Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

A fun way to learn:

http://thefump.com/fump.php?id=1205 - Power Salad's It's Its.

From another viewpoint:
Its or It's | Learn English | One Minute English

Add:

11. 'u' and 'r' are not words.

12. Don't be afraid of the SHIFT key. It's got great uses.

13. Contrary to popular belief, (I can't think of any other reason) there is not a shortage of punctuation. Use them.

The English language has only three single letter words.

A: an indefinite article.  He left a pencil on the table.
I: a nominative pronoun used when describing from a singular person context.
O: commonly used in poetry to translate Latin vocatively in the form of an interjection.

I and O are always capitalized when used, and A would be if of course, it was the beginning of the sentence or a title.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Hanger - Hook, peg, or device to hang coats, clothes, and other stuff, or the individual that hangs such stuff.

Hangar - Structure built to protect aircraft.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Jaison009

Thanks for sharing. It is amazing how far our grasp of English has slipped in the younger generations. There is someone on Ebay that is selling lots of CAP ribbons and cannot even spell the names of the persons the achievements are named after. I mean how hard is it to use spellcheck to spell Amelia Earhart, Eddie Rickenbacker, Robert Goddard, Charles Yeager, Charles Lindbergh, etc. These people only have significance to international history and all. Thanks for helping those who cannot write without using texting lingo.

Quote from: SarDragon on August 16, 2013, 01:40:10 AM

Critical AOA

Quote from: flyer333555 on August 16, 2013, 11:18:51 AM
Hanger - Hook, peg, or device to hang coats, clothes, and other stuff, or the individual that hangs such stuff.

Hangar - Structure built to protect aircraft.

Flyer

You would not believe how often I see that very misspelling from other aviation professionals along with adding an s to aircraft to make it plural.   
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

I actually understood each and every acronym PI put up. Well done, sir...well done.  :clap:
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

Then please help us poor guys that are getting to be elderly... I am 58 and do not want or cannot do too much fast thinking... Do not want my remaining brain cells popping out.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Critical AOA

An acronym was when you created an actual pronounceable word from the first letters or parts of other words.  For example: radar, sonar, laser, etc. 

A string of letters that do not produce a pronounceable word is just an abbreviation.  For example: FAA, CIA and even POV.  You do not pronounce these; you just say the letters so they are not acronyms.

If you are using a number such as 8 to replace the letters in a word such as GR8 or using 2 rather than using to or too, you are just using internet slang.  These are not acronyms either. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 18, 2013, 02:50:33 AM
I actually understood each and every acronym PI put up. Well done, sir...well done.  :clap:

Your welcome sir.  :)

ColonelJack

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 18, 2013, 04:12:36 PM

His welcome what?   ;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Critical AOA

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 18, 2013, 04:12:36 PM

Please see # 1 on the OP list.

ProdigalJim

It didn't take long to reach humiliation and embarrassment!  ;D
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

a2capt

QuoteYou're welcome, sir.  :)
#1 and #13.

Save a life use a comma.

Let's eat Mom!
Let's eat, Mom!

Private Investigator

bosshawk

flyer333555: at 58 you are still a kid.  Try 77.  I have no idea what some of those acronyms are.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 18, 2013, 02:01:36 PM

An acronym was when you created an actual pronounceable word from the first letters or parts of other words.  For example: radar, sonar, laser, etc. 

A string of letters that do not produce a pronounceable word is just an abbreviation.  For example: FAA, CIA and even POV.  You do not pronounce these; you just say the letters so they are not acronyms.

If you are using a number such as 8 to replace the letters in a word such as GR8 or using 2 rather than using to or too, you are just using internet slang.  These are not acronyms either.

Well, since someone brought it up, I'll jump in.

As noted, an acronym is a combination of first letters that makes a pronounceable word. The string of letters that does not produce a pronounceable word is called an initialism (GPS, FAA). An abbreviation is usually the first few letters of a single, followed by a period. Through usage, these distinctions have blurred over time.

As an aside, CAP, as used to refer to our organization, is NOT an acronym. I learned that WIWAC. You say each letter. One of my former wing commanders used to give a practical demonstration with his ball cap, when he heard people using CAP as an acronym. [Got my Nomex on!  >:D ]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret