What were your best takeaways from the National Conference?

Started by Holding Pattern, August 16, 2021, 02:47:03 AM

Holding Pattern

For me it was the IG presentation. Knowing that ethics complaints are essentially ignored was rather interesting.

N6RVT

CAPJOE

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 16, 2021, 03:37:24 AMAre these available online yet?
I have found that all of the presentations that weren't on Zoom are available.

N6RVT

Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 16, 2021, 02:47:03 AMFor me it was the IG presentation. Knowing that ethics complaints are essentially ignored was rather interesting.
I didn't sign up for the conference so it seems I do not have access to the classes that were recorded.

If Ethics is not their concern, what is it that the IG thinks they are supposed to be doing?

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 16, 2021, 09:29:42 PMIf Ethics is not their concern, what is it that the IG thinks they are supposed to be doing?

Fraud, Waste and Abuse.

N6RVT

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on August 16, 2021, 09:34:39 PM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 16, 2021, 09:29:42 PMIf Ethics is not their concern, what is it that the IG thinks they are supposed to be doing?
Fraud, Waste and Abuse.
How do you Ethically commit fraud?

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 16, 2021, 09:42:51 PMHow do you Ethically commit fraud?
The observation is not that the IG function refuses to investigate unethical conduct: it is that unethical conduct that does not fall specifically into one of the FWA categories is not investigated.

e.g. CAPR 1-1 makes it clear that promoting ethical conduct, including behavior in accordance with Core Values, is a command responsibility

A complaint that the CC of Townsville Composite Squadron keeps appointing his own kids as the C/CC of that unit even though there appear to be other better qualified candidates is an ethics complaint (nepotism being generally considered inconsistent with the CAP Core Values) that doesn't fit into the FWA categorization.

Shuman 14

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on August 16, 2021, 10:00:33 PM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 16, 2021, 09:42:51 PMHow do you Ethically commit fraud?
The observation is not that the IG function refuses to investigate unethical conduct: it is that unethical conduct that does not fall specifically into one of the FWA categories is not investigated.

e.g. CAPR 1-1 makes it clear that promoting ethical conduct, including behavior in accordance with Core Values, is a command responsibility

A complaint that the CC of Townsville Composite Squadron keeps appointing his own kids as the C/CC of that unit even though there appear to be other better qualified candidates is an ethics complaint (nepotism being generally considered inconsistent with the CAP Core Values) that doesn't fit into the FWA categorization.

Would that not be an ABUSE of power? Just saying.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

NovemberWhiskey

Abuse. The intentional, wrongful, or improper use of CAP resources such as the misuse of rank, position or authority that causes the loss or misuse of resources such as tools, vehicles, computers, copy machines, etc. ref CAPR 20-2, Attachment 2, pg 18.

So no; not abuse in the FWA sense.

Ned

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on August 16, 2021, 10:00:33 PMA complaint that the CC of Townsville Composite Squadron keeps appointing his own kids as the C/CC of that unit even though there appear to be other better qualified candidates is an ethics complaint (nepotism being generally considered inconsistent with the CAP Core Values) that doesn't fit into the FWA categorization.

Interestingly, the national commander has recently directed a change to CAPR 1-1 that will help support units with "CAP Families."  Who can be some of our greatest strengths, but sometimes present an almost inevitable appearance of a conflict of interest when one family member exercises award, assignment, promotion, or disciplinary authority over another immediate family member.

When published, look for the creation of mandatory "family firewalls" that will required other than an immediate family member to be the decision makers whenever reasonably possible.

Should make a strong organization stronger.

Ned Lee
Senior CP Enthusiast

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Ned on August 17, 2021, 12:25:24 AM
Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on August 16, 2021, 10:00:33 PMA complaint that the CC of Townsville Composite Squadron keeps appointing his own kids as the C/CC of that unit even though there appear to be other better qualified candidates is an ethics complaint (nepotism being generally considered inconsistent with the CAP Core Values) that doesn't fit into the FWA categorization.

Interestingly, the national commander has recently directed a change to CAPR 1-1 that will help support units with "CAP Families."  Who can be some of our greatest strengths, but sometimes present an almost inevitable appearance of a conflict of interest when one family member exercises award, assignment, promotion, or disciplinary authority over another immediate family member.

When published, look for the creation of mandatory "family firewalls" that will required other than an immediate family member to be the decision makers whenever reasonably possible.

Should make a strong organization stronger.

Ned Lee
Senior CP Enthusiast

Fascinating. In the IG presentation they were discussing the potential of 1-1 being downgraded to a non-directive pamphlet. Sounds like not everyone is on the same script.

etodd

^^^ Hoping the above isn't the "best takeaway" from the conference. I wasn't able to attend. Would like to hear some positive and exciting things.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Fubar

Quote from: etodd on August 17, 2021, 01:34:18 AM^^^ Hoping the above isn't the "best takeaway" from the conference. I wasn't able to attend. Would like to hear some positive and exciting things.

The CAP conference suffers from the same ailments as all other conferences. Eclipse can speak more to this, but when you can release the latest and greatest news on a daily basis through your website, a big grand conference once a year to disseminate information becomes far less relevant.

I wonder how many people would go to the conference anymore if using membership dues to fund travel for wing, region, and national staff was nixed.

PHall

I usually go when it's in my part of the country, i.e. Pacific Region, but I wouldn't fly half way across the country to go to one. Biggest reason to go is the networking opportunities and being able to take courses like TLC directly from the people who run the program.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on August 17, 2021, 07:07:38 AMThe CAP conference suffers from the same ailments as all other conferences. Eclipse can speak more to this, but when you can release the latest and greatest news on a daily basis through your website, a big grand conference once a year to disseminate information becomes far less relevant.

I wonder how many people would go to the conference anymore if using membership dues to fund travel for wing, region, and national staff was nixed.

No need - you've said it. The money and effort would be better spent elsewhere.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: PHall on August 17, 2021, 02:36:46 PMI usually go when it's in my part of the country, i.e. Pacific Region, but I wouldn't fly half way across the country to go to one. Biggest reason to go is the networking opportunities and being able to take courses like TLC directly from the people who run the program.

Check in with your Wing or Region Cadet Programs teams to see if they would be willing to host something at their echelon or if they would be willing to help coordinate one at a lower echelon.

Our Wing has worked with Group-level CPOs to organize TLC. The Wing has also hosted at the Wing level.

Personally, I'm an advocate of TLC being hold no higher than Wing because I prefer to see a more grassroots involvement in the class, and you tend to lose that if you have instructors who haven't worked directly with cadets in a squadron in a long time. That's not to say nobody at the higher echelon works with cadets, but it seems to be less and less. At that point, it becomes textbook reiteration with no practical application/experience.

Not to turn this thread into a TLC discussion. This reply just stood out to me.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 18, 2021, 01:34:59 PM
Quote from: PHall on August 17, 2021, 02:36:46 PMI usually go when it's in my part of the country, i.e. Pacific Region, but I wouldn't fly half way across the country to go to one. Biggest reason to go is the networking opportunities and being able to take courses like TLC directly from the people who run the program.

Check in with your Wing or Region Cadet Programs teams to see if they would be willing to host something at their echelon or if they would be willing to help coordinate one at a lower echelon.

Our Wing has worked with Group-level CPOs to organize TLC. The Wing has also hosted at the Wing level.

Personally, I'm an advocate of TLC being hold no higher than Wing because I prefer to see a more grassroots involvement in the class, and you tend to lose that if you have instructors who haven't worked directly with cadets in a squadron in a long time. That's not to say nobody at the higher echelon works with cadets, but it seems to be less and less. At that point, it becomes textbook reiteration with no practical application/experience.

Not to turn this thread into a TLC discussion. This reply just stood out to me.

We have them in California Wing a number of times a year run by both Wing and the Groups.
My point was that it's nice to be able to take the class directly from the people who actually wrote it.
Makes it real easy to give feedback directly to the people who can actually make the changes.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on August 18, 2021, 05:05:58 PMMy point was that it's nice to be able to take the class directly from the people who actually wrote it.
Makes it real easy to give feedback directly to the people who can actually make the changes.

1 - The intention of many of these classes, especially TLC, is to have CCs and staff from the same
general area commiserate on shared problems and work solutions appropriate for the localized circumstance.
The larger the scope of involvement, the less effective they become, because as we all know, CAP has a significant
issue with standardization, and in many, many respects functions as 52 separate organizations.

2 - While it might be handy to gripe directly to the person who typed the document that you don't like the font.
The role and mission of these sessions isn't to make them better.  That should have happened
well before a rank and file members signs in.

The Group level (or equivalent where groups don't exist) is the perfect and appropriate scope for the majority
of CAP PD, and will continue to be until NHQ can fix the ongoing lack of standardization.

"That Others May Zoom"