How do we incentivize the job of Squadron Commander?

Started by Holding Pattern, July 13, 2021, 08:39:31 PM

Capt Thompson

Back to the original topic, I don't think we have a way to incentivize the Squadron CC position, you either want it or you don't. The incentive is that warm fuzzy feeling you get by giving back, or by seeing your Cadets succeed, learn new things, and move on to bigger and better things later in life carrying the lessons you passed on to them when they go. I get the same incentives as the Deputy for Cadets, but without nearly as much on my plate as the CC. The ribbon and badge are nice, but not worth the hassle to take on the position, and there aren't really any other incentives CAP can offer. You either want it due to a desire to give back, or you don't due to the paperwork and hassles.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

baronet68

Quote from: Holding Pattern on July 15, 2021, 07:24:27 PMYes, we get a pin and ribbon for doing the job. I think we need more than that. I'm not suggesting a bronze watch or a sword or anything necessarily tangible, but we need to make it more approachable and interesting.

A bronze sword... yes definitely, a bronze sword!   ;D
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

dwb

Quote from: Capt Thompson on July 16, 2021, 05:54:54 PMI don't think we have a way to incentivize the Squadron CC position, you either want it or you don't.

Yes and no. If the position is made out to be some kind of torture, then a lot fewer people are going to want it. Maybe "incentivize" isn't the right word, but rather, how do we make being a commander in CAP seem (and be) less like a punishment and more like an opportunity?

JohhnyD

Quote from: Capt Thompson on July 16, 2021, 05:49:16 PM
Quote from: JohhnyD on July 16, 2021, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: NIN on July 16, 2021, 04:29:38 PM
Quote from: JohhnyD on July 16, 2021, 01:18:55 AMYep. It works. And we ought to put that on the table.

While I don't disagree that you might add some "constancy" with this, throwing money and a paid employee at something doesn't always "fix" the issue. It often just changes the dynamic.
I am not advocating "throwing money", I am advocating using the BSA model to include a higher proportion of paid staff.
Not sure about BSA where you are, but here we pay $150 a year directly to the council per Scout, and was just informed it's going up in the fall, so my Pack alone is sending a few thousand a year to council, multiplied by a few hundred packs/troops that the council services, means they can afford a council building and paid staffers. Compare that to the average Group with 5 or 6 Squadrons, averaging 20-30 members each, how much would we have to raise yearly dues to compensate a small paid group staff and office space? I agree it would be a nice thing to have, but economically I don't think it would be feasible for CAP.
My Wing would raise 75K with that extra membership dues. That represents 2 or 3 PT admins, more than sufficient to take 80-90% of the admin burden off the unit CCs.

BTW, dues are NOT how I would raise those funds, there are many ways to do so.

PHall

Quote from: JohhnyD on July 17, 2021, 04:22:47 AM
Quote from: Capt Thompson on July 16, 2021, 05:49:16 PM
Quote from: JohhnyD on July 16, 2021, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: NIN on July 16, 2021, 04:29:38 PM
Quote from: JohhnyD on July 16, 2021, 01:18:55 AMYep. It works. And we ought to put that on the table.

While I don't disagree that you might add some "constancy" with this, throwing money and a paid employee at something doesn't always "fix" the issue. It often just changes the dynamic.
I am not advocating "throwing money", I am advocating using the BSA model to include a higher proportion of paid staff.
Not sure about BSA where you are, but here we pay $150 a year directly to the council per Scout, and was just informed it's going up in the fall, so my Pack alone is sending a few thousand a year to council, multiplied by a few hundred packs/troops that the council services, means they can afford a council building and paid staffers. Compare that to the average Group with 5 or 6 Squadrons, averaging 20-30 members each, how much would we have to raise yearly dues to compensate a small paid group staff and office space? I agree it would be a nice thing to have, but economically I don't think it would be feasible for CAP.
My Wing would raise 75K with that extra membership dues. That represents 2 or 3 PT admins, more than sufficient to take 80-90% of the admin burden off the unit CCs.

BTW, dues are NOT how I would raise those funds, there are many ways to do so.

How would a paid Wing Administrator know what to report for your unit?
The unit would still have to send them a report so they would know what to report to NHQ.
How exactly is that different from the current situation?

Robert Hartigan

Being a squadron commander sucked the enjoyment out of my membership and made me lose faith in the chain of command's accountability to the core values. Sure, there was the camaraderie of local unit members and being a part of those teammates' successes, but being task saturated with minutiae took its toll.

Wing HQ micromanaged too much; having to completed a Operational Risk Matrix (which had to include the fire exit diagrams) to get "permission" to conduct a "field trip" to the science center was an example of too much. I know no one read the ORMs because I included "Avoid Zombie Apocalypse" as one of the entries.

The guy before me didn't even get a thank-you, so I wasn't surprised when the Group Commander or Wing Commander didn't show up for my retirement from CAP let alone an official change of command ceremony.

You want to incentivize people to become squadron commanders? Don't disrespect them and their sacrifices of time, talent, and treasure!

Oh, yeah and bring the Guayabera shirt back.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: dwb on July 16, 2021, 10:10:27 PM
Quote from: Capt Thompson on July 16, 2021, 05:54:54 PMI don't think we have a way to incentivize the Squadron CC position, you either want it or you don't.

Yes and no. If the position is made out to be some kind of torture, then a lot fewer people are going to want it. Maybe "incentivize" isn't the right word, but rather, how do we make being a commander in CAP seem (and be) less like a punishment and more like an opportunity?

For starters, stop telling new commanders "I'm not sure if to congratulate you or play taps" (or any other variation).

It's exceptionally obnoxious, and frankly disrespectful. Immediately establishing a culture of "You're going to hate it...how long before you quit?" is a real problem.

dwb

A great way to reframe that conversation is to ask "How are you feeling about it? Are you excited? Nervous?"

If it's their first time in command, it can be a little scary or daunting. Then you can reassure that those kinds of feelings are normal and the new commander will find their footing.

So, acknowledging the burden people can feel, but in an encouraging way.

Brit_in_CAP

Was going to reply in detail, but changed my mind.

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on July 28, 2021, 08:11:23 PMA great way to reframe that conversation is to ask "How are you feeling about it? Are you excited? Nervous?"

Commanders should be baselined before and after every meeting.

...Have they created you to be a part of the wing? Wing.

Is there security in being a part of the wing? Wing.

Is there a sound that comes with the wing? Wing.

We're going to go on. WMIRS...

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2021, 03:12:36 PM
Quote from: dwb on July 28, 2021, 08:11:23 PMA great way to reframe that conversation is to ask "How are you feeling about it? Are you excited? Nervous?"

Commanders should be baselined before and after every meeting.

...Have they created you to be a part of the wing? Wing.

Is there security in being a part of the wing? Wing.

Is there a sound that comes with the wing? Wing.

We're going to go on. WMIRS...

Newly-appointed commander responds in high-pitched screech.