Was the Yeager exam updated in 2008?

Started by ascorbate, January 10, 2009, 01:27:11 AM

ascorbate

Would anyone know if the achievement test for the Yeager Award was updated to include material from the second edition (published 2008) of Aerospace - The Journey of Flight?

I have several senior officers interested in pursuing the Yeager Award and I just want to make sure that they are studying the test materials (1st edition or 2nd edition) appropriate for the exam.
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

IceNine

I can only give you too words of advice on this.

OPEN BOOK
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

hatentx

if you are kind of familiar with aviation and aviation history you can do it with out a book. 

Eclipse

Hard to say whether the test was updated, but Armstrong, Wright, and the others did the same things on the same dates,
ditto with important military engagements.

I can tell you from hands-on experience that the index in the new version of the book is pretty badly fubar.  If I had to guess I would say they updated the text but forgot the index. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Always Ready

Quote from: IceNine on January 10, 2009, 01:46:51 AM
I can only give you too words of advice on this.

OPEN BOOK
^^Ditto. In my experience with open book tests, the book is only useful if you are extensively familiar with it.

eServices has downloadable versions of Aerospace - The Journey of Flight (under AE downloads). Teach them, in general, how to take open book tests. Also teach them how to use the search feature when using electronic documents (Press and hold 'Ctrl', press and release 'F' at the same time, release 'Ctrl'). The search feature also comes in handy when looking up information in regs, manuals, etc.

IceNine

Psst... National got smart and is moving to PDF regs, and books now. 

There is little need for fancy keystrokes anymore, but thanks for the tutorial.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

BuckeyeDEJ

If you have a Mitchell Award, just take the darned test cold-turkey. Really. The book isn't going to help you much more than your aerospace tests did.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

EMT-83

Yes, the test was updated in December of 2007.

I had downloaded Journey of Flight from eServices to study, then went on-line to take the test. With about 80% of the test complete, the questions were on material that I had never seen before. I went back to eServices, and found the additional chapters included in second edition.

cap235629

As a former ground pounder (MP in the Army) and an avid history channel and military channel watcher, I was able to take and pass the test without ever opening a book or ever attending any AE classes......

Not a hard test at all.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Timbo

Quote from: cap235629 on January 11, 2009, 05:45:05 AM
... and an avid history channel and military channel watcher...

Not a hard test at all.....

Yes, the Military Channel is heavy on the Aerospace material.  Some days it is all programming about airplanes.