Family & Friends Day Abroad a U.S. Naval Aircraft Carrier

Started by ascorbate, November 20, 2008, 05:14:49 PM

ascorbate

I recently learned of Family & Friends Day cruises which are conducted for civilians abroad a U.S. Naval aircraft carrier.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4442/is_/ai_n17180269

I was wondering if anyone would have any contacts in Norfolk, VA as I would like to plan this as an Aerospace Education activity for the cadets in my squadron? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

jimmydeanno

I went on one of these while I was DCC at Langley Composite Squadron.  A friend of ours was/is an E-8 in the Navy and was stationed aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, "The Big Stick."  Each person stationed aboard the ship was permitted to bring a limited number of people, we couldn't get our entire CAP squadron in on it.

They took us on a tour of the ship, there was entertainment and we got to eat in the Chief's mess (great food BTW.)  They took us a few miles out to sea and we all piled out onto the flight deck for a mini-airshow.  There were a few F-14s and a F-18.  They demonstrated some dog fighting maneuvers and went super-sonic a few times.  It was a great day and we had a lot of fun.

I hope you can get your squadron to participate, that would be fantastic.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

dbarbee

The Navy has been doing dependents cruises for years. I went on them as a kid in the late 60's when my Dad was in, and my family and friends went on them with me when I was in during the late 80's. We'd usually go out and circle Catalina Island while giving ship tours and weapons demo's.

They also had a Tiger Cruise when returning from deployment that let friends & family ride the ship back from Hawaii.

Dependents Cruises & Tiger Cruises were only available to friends and family of crewmembers, as far as I know it's still that way.

Some bases designate a ship for monthly in-port tours for the public though, you might check into that.
Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region

ascorbate

I'm still holding out hope that somebody (in this forum) knows somebody who knows something that could facilitate this proposed cadet activity in Norfolk, VA. It's just a matter of finding that individual.

So thanx for those who have provided input thus far!
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

dbarbee

Here's some information on base tours. There are phone numbers at he bottom of the page that may be able to give you information (If any) about ship tours.

https://www.cnic.navy.mil/NorfolkSTA/Programs/FleetFamilySupportProgram/ShipBaseTours/index.htm
Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region