Main Menu

runways

Started by jtk15sc, August 28, 2008, 07:40:50 PM

jtk15sc

can someone explain runway markings?

in my module 2 book i see the runway with 18 and 36.

it says 18 is short for 180 but 36 is still 36. why not 360? how do you know when its not short for something

like say it was 24, how would i know if the runway meant 24 degrees from magnetic north or 240?

CASH172

Runway numbers are always rounded to the nearest 10th digit.  If it was 36 degrees, it would be runway 4. 

Eclipse

Quote from: CASH172 on August 28, 2008, 07:42:45 PM
Runway numbers are always rounded to the nearest 10th digit.  If it was 36 degrees, it would be runway 4. 

http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/communication/rnwy_mark.htm

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Runway numberings indicate the compass heading of the runway.  Since runways are pretty straight, the numbers at the two opposite ends will be 180° apart.   The headings also drop the last digit.  So the runway facing 180° is labeled Runway 18, the other end (being 180° apart) must be 360°/0° and would be numbered Runway 36 or Runway 0.

Two good articles on the topic: 
http://airplanepilot.blogspot.com/2005/07/runway-numbers.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

It would be 36.  Ive never seen a "0" as a runway.  You always add a "0" to the end of the  numbers and ....whola!  You have the runway heading.

18 = 180

27 = 270

31 = 310

9 = 90

1 = 10

Eclipse

OK, I'm confused - what about runways that face a 2-digit direction?

Are those simply avoided?

What if it faces 36° or 9°?  Simply adding a zero would be incorrect.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: CASH172 on August 28, 2008, 07:42:45 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2008, 08:45:56 PM

runway facing 9 degrees would be labled  runway  "1"  runway facing 1 degree would be labled runway "36"  

Smithsonia

I'm sure some of this confusion is due to movies and TV shows. Often you'll here an off screen controller or pilot say: "Air Force One, cleared runway "Seven-niner" Or Flight 167 you are cleared for landing runway 8-zero. This usually occurs at a triumphal moment with swelling music as the hero breaks into a tension relieved smile... and it takes me completely out of the drama and or comedy. Actually, when this faux-pax presents itself, they all turn into comedies.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Eclipse

WE NEED RUNWAY TWO-NINNAH!

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Yeah, runways which face a two-digit direction still follow the same nomenclature.  A runway facing 36° is runway 4 (having rounded up to heading 040° and dropped the last digit).  A runway facing 9° is runway 1.  It's rounded up to the next tenth.

A runway facing 9° is not labeled runway 9.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2008, 11:07:18 PM
WE NEED RUNWAY TWO-NINNAH!

And don't call me Shirley!   ;D

stratoflyer

If you are ever confused prior to landing, activate your autopilot.  :)

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

a2capt

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 29, 2008, 01:04:24 AM
If you are ever confused prior to landing, activate your autopilot.  :)

..thats your Otto Pilot ..

Flying Pig

The runway numbers are done to the nearest 10.  So if a runway actually faced 37 degrees it would be runway 40.  2 degrees would be 36 for 360.

ßτε

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 19, 2008, 03:03:29 PM

The runway numbers are done to the nearest 10.  So if a runway actually faced 37 degrees it would be runway 40.  2 degrees would be 36 for 360.

If a runway faced 37 degrees, it would be runway 4, not 40. I don't think there is a runway 40 (in the US at least).

Flying Pig

Quote from: bte on September 19, 2008, 07:59:47 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on September 19, 2008, 03:03:29 PM

If a runway faced 37 degrees, it would be runway 4, not 40. I don't think there is a runway 40 (in the US at least).

HAAAAAA  you right......my mistake :clap:

JohnKachenmeister

There is a TV show I've seen called "Project Runway," but when I watched it, all I saw was a bunch of snottly girls and freakishly effeminate men.  I never did see any airplanes.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
Another former CAP officer

SJFedor

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 22, 2008, 03:09:26 AM
There is a TV show I've seen called "Project Runway," but when I watched it, all I saw was a bunch of snottly girls and freakishly effeminate men.  I never did see any airplanes.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Not having to watch that show anymore is one major reason I'm glad I'm no longer with my ex.  ;D :clap:

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

CadetProgramGuy

From the Airman's Information Manual:

b. Runway Designators. Runway numbers and letters are determined from the approach direction. The runway number is the whole number nearest one-tenth the magnetic azimuth of the centerline of the runway, measured clockwise from the magnetic north. The letters, differentiate between left (L), right (R), or center (C), parallel runways, as applicable

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/Chap2/aim0203.html

stratoflyer

Oscar Mike Golf!!

Like, totally!!

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP