Disappointed that airline carrer exploration is no longer offered? Consider UND

Started by rightstuffpilot, June 26, 2008, 04:16:48 PM

rightstuffpilot

Disappointed that Airline Careers Exploration is no longer offered as an NCSA?  Interested in going to school in Aviation?  Consider this http://studentservices.aero.und.edu/f5_Aerocamp/f1_General%20Information/

The University That Flies
UND Aerospace

The John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks is one of the most highly respected collegiate aviation programs in the nation and a leader in atmospheric research. Every day, throughout the world, our graduates keep the aerospace industry moving.

UND Aerospace is proud of its status as one of the most technologically advanced centers for aerospace education in the world. Our aerospace complex features an altitude chamber for flight physiology training, unique air traffic control tower simulation labs, the Regional Weather Information Center, computerized multi-media instructional classroom facilities and over 85 aircraft (fixed wing and helicopter) and advanced flight training devices including a Canadair Regional Jet FTD.

At the 25th Annual International Aerospace Camp, you will take advantage of our state-of-the-art flight simulators, classrooms, and aircraft fleet. You'll find out firsthand why more than 1,900 students are enrolled right now to get their aerospace careers off the ground.

Seven Days of Non-Stop Aviation
Why You Should Attend:

Flights:
Experience the basics of flying in a flight training simulator device (FTD)
Take the controls on an introductory flight lesson
Experience the thrill of an instructional aerobatic flight
Learn about and fly a cross-country flight
Discover the art of instrument navigation and approaches during an IFR (instrument flight rules) flight
Apply all you have experienced during a night flight
Activities
Discover how flight instruments work and how to interpret them
Learn how to preflight an aircraft
Interact with an advanced technology on the ground and during flight
Attend classroom ground schools before each flight lesson
Observe UND students on an altitude chamber flight
Control pseudo-aircraft on the air traffic control simulators and a 360-degree tower simulator
Tour the Grand Forks Air Force Base and explore a KC-135 Stratotanker
Find out how collegiate aviation can build a foundation for your future career in aviation
Develop new friendships
Learn what it takes to succeed in college and an aerospace career
Learn the forces that make aircraft fly
Plus more!
HEIDI C. KIM, Maj , CAP
CFI/CFII/MEI
Spaatz # 1700

Cedar Rapids Composite Squadron- Commander

CASH172

I remember reading an old regulation that the ERAU Summer Program was an authorized NCSA credit activity.  I can't seem to find that reg now, but it would have similar applications here if someone decided to revive these types of activities for NCSA credit. 

Frenchie

Quote from: rightstuffpilot on June 26, 2008, 04:16:48 PM
Tour the Grand Forks Air Force Base and explore a KC-135 Stratotanker

I got a "tour" of Grand Forks AFB about 20 years ago.  I seem to remember it involved shoving a lot of snow in the winter and filling sandbags in the spring.

rightstuffpilot

Gaining NCSA credit for it is something I'm going to bring up through CAC--essentially it is no different than any of the other non-CAP NCSA's--like Space Camp, EAA Air Academy, or the ERAU Camp.  After two years of living in wonderful Grand Forks Weather--the sandbaging seems to have subsided because of new and expensive flood control--and the snow is not nearly as bad as the cold!
HEIDI C. KIM, Maj , CAP
CFI/CFII/MEI
Spaatz # 1700

Cedar Rapids Composite Squadron- Commander

flynd94

Hmmmmmm, airline career exploration.  Unless, you are in the top 60% of seniority on your list, there isn't much to explore.  We wouldn't want to bring these young kids and, show them what the career is like in a downturn.

Take my advice, get a real job/career

PS this is coming from someone on the bottom 10% of his airlines seniority list, awaiting his furlough notice this fall    :'(
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot