Main Menu

CAP AF Blues

Started by Polecat, August 20, 2009, 11:51:47 PM

Mustang

Turns out the "big secret" was that Farva designed the new UAV driver wings, which were awarded for the first time yesterday. He was on hand to receive the first set at the graduation ceremony for the first class of non-rated Reaper/Predator pilots. Why he met with NVWG/PA is anyone's guess.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

flyerthom

Quote from: Mustang on September 26, 2009, 04:39:25 PM
Turns out the "big secret" was that Farva designed the new UAV driver wings, which were awarded for the first time yesterday. He was on hand to receive the first set at the graduation ceremony for the first class of non-rated Reaper/Predator pilots. Why he met with NVWG/PA is anyone's guess.

Because I emailed him and invited him for a brew or two while he was in town PA guy to PA guy. He took me up on it.  It was cool the Air Force brought him out to be there for the awards.

TC

NC Hokie

Looks like CAP is about to be front-and-center in AF Blues this week as Barbie has just been tasked as the target in a SAR scenario.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Wow, he did a great job with the Cessna, it even has a Becker antenna!

Short Field

LOL.  Reminds me of the old "SAC Sucks" photo from SEA.  That is the one where you can see the craters from an ARC LIGHT running right up to the edge of a SF camp.  The SF guys had stamped out the message in the tall grass...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RogueLeader

Todays is absoluetly hilarious.  It's a bad day for Capt Dahl
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

Too bad they don't actually use CAP planes as part of the evasion and escape training for aircrews.  I'm sure there are countries in the world where single engine airplanes would be used to hunt downed US fliers.  I'd say we'd have a low probability of success in much of the eastern US, but in parts of the southwest we'd probably have a shot.

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on October 06, 2009, 11:13:09 PM
Too bad they don't actually use CAP planes as part of the evasion and escape training for aircrews.  I'm sure there are countries in the world where single engine airplanes would be used to hunt downed US fliers.  I'd say we'd have a low probability of success in much of the eastern US, but in parts of the southwest we'd probably have a shot.

Wanna bet?  E&E in the desert is actually fairly easy, unless the bad guys are using stuff like thermal imagers and NVG's at night, which is when you want to travel in the desert.

RiverAux

I was just saying that our chances would be better in the desert, not that they would be good.

PHall

Actually, it's pretty much up to the person doing the E&E'ing.
If you do what they taught you in SERE, then you have a fairly good chance of getting away.
Of course the instructors will tell you that even if you do everything "right" you still can get caught.
It pretty much depends on how your luck is working that day.

And then there's the perfect example of doing everything wrong and getting away with it.
Capt Scott O'Grady.  The poster child of SERE Instructors everywhere!

SarDragon

I went through a friendly survival school wearing blue clothing in a green environment, and it was amazingly easy to hide from the instructors. Hiding in a desert environment  isn't much different (better or worse) than a wooded environment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!  A 1-striper finds Dahl!  Awesome!

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

EPIC!

The only way it could be better is if he was saluting Dahl.  (Not my thought, just agreeing and passing it on.)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jeders

Quote from: RiverAux on October 06, 2009, 11:13:09 PM

Actually we do. First we play friendlies so that the aircrews can practice air/ground communication. Then we fly off and wait for them to go hide and come back as aggressors to try and find them. And yes, we do sometimes find them even in heavy brush.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

Which wing is doing this?  Is this with active duty Air Force?  Air National Guard?

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Fifinella

Pylon to the rescue: http://www.afblues.com/?p=1220

He is multi-talented.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP