Main Menu

CAP License Plates

Started by Private Investigator, May 28, 2013, 04:58:00 AM

Private Investigator

Well I am outside an AFB and I pull up behind a motorcycle and my "police fu" kicks in. Interesting license plate, I recognize it is Missouri and that logo looks familiar. Under the plate numbers and letters it reads "Civil Air Patrol". How cool is that from ya all from the 'Show Me' state.   :clap:

My state has all kinds of license plates but not a CAP plate. That would be great advertising.

lordmonar

Nevada has CAP plates....and a portion of the proceeds go to CAP IIRC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Rick-DEL

Delaware just introduced CAP plates this year.

Luis R. Ramos

New York state does have CAP license plates. You cannot request a specific number but have to accept whatever one the Division of Motor Vehicles gives you.  :P

I bought a new car in, well, a certain year. Then I got my CAP NY plates. When I got them it was with a high number that I did not like.  >:( A few days later I realized the number was the same model year of my car! I liked my number since then...  :)

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MSG Mac

I and a few others in my Squadron have Maryland CAP Plates. $25 with a portion going to the Wing. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MHC5096

I used to have New York CAP plate # 25.  :)
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

wuzafuzz

CAP plates will be available very soon in Colorado.

http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/centennial/news/aviation-laws-take-flight-in-centennial/article_b42e6eaa-bd8f-11e2-be10-001a4bcf887a.html

I thought of getting a plate with my CAP call sign on it.  But "Blue Mesa #" is too long, and the abbreviation "BM" isn't appealing.   :o
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

My wing took a shot at getting them, unfortunely my state requires you to get commitments for selling at least 'x' number of plates.

There were plenty of members who thought it was a good idea, but getting CAP people to commit $$$ to something temporarily intangible is
like kryptonite to Superman.  So the process took way too long and apparently the legislative unit moved on to something shiner.

"That Others May Zoom"

Huey Driver

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Garibaldi

Arkansas does. I never got around to getting one when I was there. I don't know if Georgia has one or not. Haven't looked.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SJFedor

Tennessee has "Emergency" plates that are available to LE/EMS/FD and CAP.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

♠SARKID♠

It doesn't look nearly as nice as it does in this pic.  Got a bit bashed when I totaled my truck.

Also, http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2801.0

SJFedor

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 29, 2013, 02:43:55 AM
It doesn't look nearly as nice as it does in this pic.  Got a bit bashed when I totaled my truck.

Are you gonna get a SARMAN one now?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Private Investigator

That is so excellent. Thanks for sharing everybody   :clap:

Shotgun

Mississippi has a custom CAP license plate.

There is an extra fee (of course) and a portion goes to the wing.

Usually you need to have a minimum of 200 orders for the state to issue a custom plate.
However, the MSWG Legislative squadron was able to get that requirement waived.

They are issued in numerical order. The first 10 or so plates were reserved.
Numbers 1 through 3 were assigned to CAP vehicles (The Commander's vehicles, etc.)
4-10 were made available to CAP members through an auction as mini-fundraiser.

All of the CAP vehicles in the Wing have the special plates.

Any person in the state can request one whether they are in CAP or not.

Here's the mine:

It was a sad day when I had to replace it.

Eeyore

skymaster

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 29, 2013, 02:08:59 AM
Arkansas does. I never got around to getting one when I was there. I don't know if Georgia has one or not. Haven't looked.

Georgia Wing members have expressed an interest in the State of Georgia issuing CAP-themed licence plates for CAP members for about the last 30 years or so, but there are a couple of very good reasons NOT to. First off, the State of Georgia requires an initial order of about 500 plates to even consider creating a special plate for CAP members. Also, due to the State of Georgia's desires to operate on a balanced budget, special organisational plates cost each individual around $50.00 per year per vehicle, due with the yearly registration fees. Also, in order to guarantee 500 plates for the initial run, the state would have to register all CAP official vehicles as well, meaning the money for those plates would have to be pulled from somewhere else. Right now, as it stands, the State of Georgia provides free Georgia State Government licence plates for all CAP-owned vehicles in the state. FREE/no tax/Government plates vs. $50 per vehicle per year plus having to pay tax like all the other organisational plates is really no contest.

RiverAux

While I think that there are some public affairs benefits to having CAP license plates, I'm not sure it is worth the trouble.  There are so darn many "special" license plates these days I'm not sure that anyone really looks at any of them. 

I've had one for over a decade and the number of conversations that it started could be counted on one hand.

Am I against them?  No, but I there are much better things that we could be doing with the limited time we have available to lobby state legislators and officials about CAP issues.

dogden

David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

GroundHawg

Kentucky has them and I have a personalized CAP tag on one of my vehicles. I wont show you due to the atomic/nuclear level flaming I would receive. But they are good looking tags.

SAREXinNY

I have to admit, I'm a tad annoyed that here in NY they consider Coast Guard Aux. to be "military".  The cost of a Coast Guard plate is initially $47.50 and renewals are $18.75.
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/military.htm

In comparison, CAP plates are "Emergency Services" and therefore cost more: $60.00 initial fee and $31.25 for renewals.
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/emerg.htm

Eclipse

I've seen some states that have CAP as "military", some as "ES" some as "specialty", etc., etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

N7MOG

South Dakota has vanity plates you can buy as well. Our corporate plates just say CAP (and a two digit numeric), where the vanity has the old round emblem on the left with the state assigned number following that to the right.
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

Luis R. Ramos

Although New York state charges CAP plates as "military," NYC separates CAP plates from military. It classifies these plates as "vanity" (code SRF) but others charged by the state as "military" do have their own category for NYC such as "Air National Guard" (code ANG) and so on... At least when you get tickets...

Relax... only parking tickets... :angel:

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Paul Creed III

Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

MacGruff

My understanding is that PA has them available. You can get them via the Wing too...

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on May 28, 2013, 08:00:48 PM
My wing took a shot at getting them, unfortunely my state requires you to get commitments for selling at least 'x' number of plates.

There were plenty of members who thought it was a good idea, but getting CAP people to commit $$$ to something temporarily intangible is
like kryptonite to Superman.  So the process took way too long and apparently the legislative unit moved on to something shiner.

My state has a similar policy.  They've had CAP plates for years.  It's even written into the State Code that the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles SHALL provide a Civil Air Patrol Plate, however, due to low enrollment the state no longer produces the plate.  If you have one you can keep it, but they aren't making anymore.

Fubar

Quote from: GroundHawg on May 29, 2013, 10:54:10 PMI wont show you due to the atomic/nuclear level flaming I would receive.

This sounds like a fun story to me...

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: SJFedor on May 29, 2013, 05:17:31 AM

Nah, doesn't have the same ring to it. Besides, I'm just a big kid anyways.   :)

PHall

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on June 03, 2013, 05:08:55 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on May 29, 2013, 05:17:31 AM

Nah, doesn't have the same ring to it. Besides, I'm just a big kid anyways.   :)

How about SARDUDE? That's got a ring to it!

♠SARKID♠

Nice, but I'm limited to six characters on the plates :)  I'll stick with KID - it's what I am, and I'd have to change WAY too many logins/screenames.

NorCal21

Florida doesn't have any. Heck, this state barely even has veteran plates.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 07, 2013, 08:54:40 PM
Suggest you take a look here, http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/tagbrochure.pdf (over 2MB in size fyi).  There are plates for each service (including CG) plus paratroopers, in addition to "Salute Veterans" and "Support Our Troops".  There is also a Disabled Vet plate.  I'm not even going to list out the special category for military services that are listed on page 9.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

NorCal21

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on June 07, 2013, 09:24:15 PM
Suggest you take a look here, http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/tagbrochure.pdf (over 2MB in size fyi).  There are plates for each service (including CG) plus paratroopers, in addition to "Salute Veterans" and "Support Our Troops".  There is also a Disabled Vet plate.  I'm not even going to list out the special category for military services that are listed on page 9.

A plate for each service is not a veteran's plate. Those five plates are available to anyone.

There are some military plates for POW or some medals, but no plate for WWI or Desert Storm veteran's such as myself. Florida only recently created the Korea, Vietnam and Enduring Freedom plates.

As I said, there are barely any veteran plates. I'm used to states like CA, HI, AZ, CO that all have a plate for someone if they served honorably. Not Florida. If you didn't serve in one of the Florida legislature's approved wars you're service isn't deserving of a plate.

Even active duty personnel who are Florida residents don't get a license plate unless they were deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. That's just odd. Florida is a state with some of the most plate designs and yet the military plate system is a hodgepodge afterthought at best.

MSG Mac

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 08, 2013, 05:10:55 AM

A plate for each service is not a veteran's plate. Those five plates are available to anyone.

There are some military plates for POW or some medals, but no plate for WWI or Desert Storm veteran's such as myself. Florida only recently created the Korea, Vietnam and Enduring Freedom plates.

As I said, there are barely any veteran plates. I'm used to states like CA, HI, AZ, CO that all have a plate for someone if they served honorably. Not Florida. If you didn't serve in one of the Florida legislature's approved wars you're service isn't deserving of a plate.

They don't have WWI because the last veteran died several years ago.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NorCal21

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 08, 2013, 05:14:01 AM

They don't have WWI because the last veteran died several years ago.

GA has them. Doesn't matter either way. I see it as a slight by the Florida legislature against Desert Storm veterans. Look, I understand that no state is required to have military plates but those that do tend to have a pretty good grasp. Either they have one single design for all active, reserve, guard, retired or honorably discharged or they have one for each branch. In GA they have one for each branch, but only for those who served during wartime periods. I disagree with that caveat, but at least they apply it uniformly. Florida's military plate system is typical of the legislature which tends to enact laws in any category in the state based on the lobbyists desires and/or the personal whims of FL politicians. That last idea there is well documented in the FL media.

I just think there needs to be a change to recognize FL veterans. This state has a great history of veterans to the country. I would like to see plates for CAP and the CGAUX but we've got to fix the regular veteran plates first!

I mean FL has a paratrooper plate. Why? There aren't any paratrooper units here so it can be home state pride. There's no training here for that, and no large group of paratrooper veterans here. The most likely reason is that someone along the way had a special interest for a plate to support a random group of military personnel. I don't have a problem with the plate per se, it just seems that there's very little thought in the plates here.

RRLE

QuoteI just think there needs to be a change to recognize FL veterans. This state has a great history of veterans to the country. I would like to see plates for CAP and the CGAUX but we've got to fix the regular veteran plates first!

Then some veterans group has to get off it duff and get'er done! Very few FL plates are mandated by the legislature. Most of them exist because some group did the leg work and fronted the money to get the plate. It isn't magic - just work.

QuoteI mean FL has a paratrooper plate. Why? ... The most likely reason is that someone along the way had a special interest for a plate to support a random group of military personnel.

I see you answered your own question. Someone did the leg work to get'er done.

QuoteI don't have a problem with the plate per se, it just seems that there's very little thought in the plates here.

The "thought" that goes into FL plates is the simple idea that a group wants a plate and gets it done. If vets want a plate, they certainly have the numbers to do it. It appears no one wants to invest the time to do it and wants the state to do it for them.

I did go thru the FL specialty plates. There are three specific veteran plates: Disabled Vet, Paralyzed Vet and Vietnam War Vet. They got it done. Then there is the Pearl Harbor Survivor plate that would have to go to a veteran. The Ex-POW plate would also most likely go to a veteran. I know several veterans who have the FL Purple Heart plate although a Reservist or Active Duty would also be eligible for that one.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 08, 2013, 05:10:55 AM

Even active duty personnel who are Florida residents don't get a license plate unless they were deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. That's just odd. Florida is a state with some of the most plate designs and yet the military plate system is a hodgepodge afterthought at best.
And here is the way this can be resolved, http://www.flhsmv.gov/specialtytags/SLP.html#15  It'll take some legwork, but would be a benefit.  In the mean time, you can always use the Salute Our Troops plate.  Also, I would like to point out that the National Guard does have a plate for use, so those personnel are covered.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

cap235629

Just renewed my Arkansas CAP tag.  $3.75

Same cost as my Veteran plate renewal
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

NorCal21

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on June 08, 2013, 07:29:33 PM

And here is the way this can be resolved, http://www.flhsmv.gov/specialtytags/SLP.html#15  It'll take some legwork, but would be a benefit.  In the mean time, you can always use the Salute Our Troops plate.  Also, I would like to point out that the National Guard does have a plate for use, so those personnel are covered.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. No, I don't like the Salute Our Troops Plate. If I'm going with a plate about the military I'd get the USMC plate since I'm a Marine. I won't though as anyone can have it so it means nothing to me to have it.

I found a better plate anyway... love the colors, and as a surfer, it fits me! Plus, it looks great on my brown VW!

Eclipse

Ignore COWG article already posted.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

Quote from: RRLE on June 08, 2013, 12:21:47 PM

QuoteI mean FL has a paratrooper plate. Why? ... The most likely reason is that someone along the way had a special interest for a plate to support a random group of military personnel

I see you answered your own question. Someone did the leg work to get'er done.

There is no way that any Paratrooper Plates were done by someone doing Leg work....  ;D

Cliff_Chambliss

Alabama seems to be doing OK in the tag department.  There are speciality tags for each of the active duty services, veteran's tags for major conflicts and notable operations within a conflict (Pearl Harbor Survivor, Battle of the Bulge, Nuclear Testing Survivor, etc).  There is one Retired Military Design but it has a mylar stick on for the branch of service.  Looking at the Alabama Approved tag list last week, I noticed where there is a state approved Civil Air Patrol tag but have never seen one.
I think I read something where there is an additional $75.00 charge for any non-military speciality plate and 1/2 of that charge is sent to the organization.  If this is in fact true, this is an opportunity to engage in a bt of fund raising and enhancing CAP visibility at the same time.

On the other hand, here are so many specialty plates out now who even pays attention anymore?
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

BHartman007

Quote from: dogden on May 29, 2013, 07:44:50 PM
Texas has them,

And a $0 fee to boot ;D $40 if you want to personalize.
I was thinking IFLYCAP, until I read 6 characters only. FLYCAP? Hmm...

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

a2capt

What groundwork was needed in states that have these?

California seems to have a plethora of special interest plates, and it seems there have to be 7,500 applications before they'll do them. I can't see there being that many registrations considering there's only about a third of that in members, in the state.

NorCal21

Quote from: a2capt on June 13, 2013, 01:23:40 AM
What groundwork was needed in states that have these?

California seems to have a plethora of special interest plates, and it seems there have to be 7,500 applications before they'll do them. I can't see there being that many registrations considering there's only about a third of that in members, in the state.

You know, I actually think of all the states I've lived in that California has the fewest speciality plates.

With that being said there is a caveat. California, like Hawaii (and starting in 2014 Arizona as well) has a standard issue license plate but with the letters and numbers moved to the right so that a decal can be placed on the plate for your organization. Saves the state a buttload of money in not having to produce 70 different plates when they can produce one speciality design and 70 decals to place on it.

As a Florida resident I'd have to say that this state probably has the most plate designs off all 50 states. And thank God that Florida is going to a new standard issue plate next year. Looks so much better than the current plate which looks dumb and is too cluttered.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on June 12, 2013, 02:04:57 PM
Alabama seems to be doing OK in the tag department.  There are speciality tags for each of the active duty services, veteran's tags for major conflicts and notable operations within a conflict (Pearl Harbor Survivor, Battle of the Bulge, Nuclear Testing Survivor, etc).  There is one Retired Military Design but it has a mylar stick on for the branch of service.  Looking at the Alabama Approved tag list last week, I noticed where there is a state approved Civil Air Patrol tag but have never seen one.
I think I read something where there is an additional $75.00 charge for any non-military speciality plate and 1/2 of that charge is sent to the organization.  If this is in fact true, this is an opportunity to engage in a bt of fund raising and enhancing CAP visibility at the same time.

On the other hand, here are so many specialty plates out now who even pays attention anymore?

I've got an Alabama amateur radio license plate; apparently they also include CAP radio operators in the application as well.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

stillamarine

Alabama is strict on who gets some specialty tags. I forgot my FOP card one year went I went to renew, in uniform. She told me I couldn't renew my FOP plate without it. She also told me for military plates you needed proof.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Critical AOA

Texas has them,

That has the cleanest and sharpest look of all of them
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

NorCal21

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 14, 2013, 08:50:52 PM
Texas has them,

That has the cleanest and sharpest look of all of them

I agree. I think many of Texas' plates look really nice. My only issue I've ever had with Texas plates has been offering them with a college from another state. Nothing the State of Texas publicly supporting Oklahoma Sooners on their license plate. I mentioned it one time to a friend who's a Florida legislator and he said it would never happen in Florida. You'd have to shoot 'em first haha... but I know a few other states do that. Georgia is one. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

a2capt

You could have just posted this:
http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/North_Carolina/nc2002cap.jpg

..instead of that huge wad of text that makes the browser window wider.

NorCal21

Quote from: Devil Doc on June 15, 2013, 11:08:55 PM

This is NC PLATE, they do not show it on the NC DMV website. NC just got Iraq Veteran, Desert Storm Veteran and Afghanistan Veteran plates.

I've always liked the basic, background image on the NC plates. That was my first license plate when I bought my first car after getting to Camp Johnson in NC. Good memories!

Devil Doc

Quote from: a2capt on June 16, 2013, 03:26:36 AM
You could have just posted this:
http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/North_Carolina/nc2002cap.jpg

..instead of that huge wad of text that makes the browser window wider.

Thanks, LOL.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Devil Doc

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 16, 2013, 07:41:33 AM
Quote from: Devil Doc on June 15, 2013, 11:08:55 PM

This is NC PLATE, they do not show it on the NC DMV website. NC just got Iraq Veteran, Desert Storm Veteran and Afghanistan Veteran plates.

I've always liked the basic, background image on the NC plates. That was my first license plate when I bought my first car after getting to Camp Johnson in NC. Good memories!

Camp Johnson Eh, you bringing back some old times for me. :)
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

NorCal21

Quote from: Devil Doc on June 16, 2013, 08:45:43 PM

Camp Johnson Eh, you bringing back some old times for me. :)

Yep. Heck I remember when PI and Johnson all seemed huge and beyond belief. I made a trip back to PI a few years ago when living down the road. Man that is a small base! But memories nonetheless. I need to get back up to Jville sometime again.

I remember asking out the girl who always waited on me at the Sonic right outside Johnson's front gate. I went out with her, and was thinking her last name seemed familiar. I mentioned it and said I had a 1stSgt with that last name. She said it was her father. Ha... last date for me!

Devil Doc

I never messed with any girls in J-Ville. 29 Palms, Pendelton, or any of the above for 3 reasons. Every Marine has either dated them, had babies with them, or was related to someone, lol
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Garibaldi

I've heard horrible stories about the women who hang out waiting for a man in uniform. They don't call Leesville, LA Sleazeville or Diseaseville for nothing.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Private Investigator

Quote from: Devil Doc on June 23, 2013, 06:10:16 PM
I never messed with any girls in J-Ville. 29 Palms, Pendelton, or any of the above for 3 reasons. Every Marine has either dated them, had babies with them, or was related to someone, lol

Nothing wrong with that. I know a Marine who had the same reasons and went home on leave and brought back his bride from his hometown, his cousin. So how in the grand scheme of things did that make sense?  ???

Private Investigator

Quote from: NorCal21 on June 23, 2013, 04:54:55 AM
I remember asking out the girl who always waited on me at the Sonic right outside Johnson's front gate. I went out with her, and was thinking her last name seemed familiar. I mentioned it and said I had a 1stSgt with that last name. She said it was her father. Ha... last date for me!

Usually that got me dates. Most Staff NCOs like me.  8)

MSG Mac

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 25, 2013, 01:18:11 AM
Quote from: NorCal21 on June 23, 2013, 04:54:55 AM

Usually that got me dates. Most Staff NCOs like me.  8)

I don't think they wanted their daughters swimming in your gene pool.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MacGruff

Got a picture from one of my squadron mates who has a Pennsylvania CAP plate. Here it is...

Oh, wait! I cannot post an image....  can anyone help and tell me how to get permission to add attachments???

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

MacGruff

Yes. It does.

The big difference being that I took the photo of a license plate on a car, rather than the graphic from the website and that's maybe splitting hairs...

jeders

Quote from: MacGruff on June 28, 2013, 12:55:12 AM
Oh, wait! I cannot post an image....  can anyone help and tell me how to get permission to add attachments???

The image has to be hosted elsewhere, then link to it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

w7sar

Thought I'd weigh in with a couple of Utah CAP plates.

First one is from the late 1970s:

And this one is from my vehicle today:

Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Critical AOA

Quote from: MacGruff on June 28, 2013, 02:13:07 PM
Yes. It does.

The big difference being that I took the photo of a license plate on a car, rather than the graphic from the website and that's maybe splitting hairs...

My apologies. I made the assumption that you just wanted to illustrate what the PA plate looked like in general, not necessarily exactly what your friend's plate looked like.   In making that assumption, I thought linking to an existing graphic on the web would be much easier than taking a picture, hosting it somewhere and then linking to it.  That's just my opinion though.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on June 28, 2013, 03:45:29 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 28, 2013, 01:29:48 AM
Does it look like this?

Needs to be updated.

Has it changed?  That is the version their website shows. 

Eclipse

That insignia is no longer approved for use.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

MacGruff

"That insignia is no longer approved for use."

Not sure why you say that? The picture I have is almost the same as this graphic. The only difference I could see is that the letters "C" and "P" are on the right side of the plate.

As to the hosting, it's on my computer. On other boards I'm on there is an "attach" command that allows me to browse over to the picture and it automagically uploads it. I do not see that command here, and in the Help files it says that I would need some special permission to do this.

If any other member has that ability, would you PM me your email address and I'll email you the pic so you can get it posted. Thanks!

SarDragon

Quote from: MacGruff on June 29, 2013, 12:12:48 AM
"That insignia is no longer approved for use."

Not sure why you say that? The picture I have is almost the same as this graphic. The only difference I could see is that the letters "C" and "P" are on the right side of the plate.

The CAP insignia pictured on the plate had been modified to a newer version. The one shown is no longer authorized for use.

QuoteAs to the hosting, it's on my computer. On other boards I'm on there is an "attach" command that allows me to browse over to the picture and it automagically uploads it. I do not see that command here, and in the Help files it says that I would need some special permission to do this.

If any other member has that ability, would you PM me your email address and I'll email you the pic so you can get it posted. Thanks!

There is a post quantity minimum for attachments. It used to be 100, but may have decreased. Host your pic somewhere else, and link to it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Ranger tabs are "important", but no one realizes the license plates have an insignia that was retired about 4 years ago.

Excellent.

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

Quote from: SarDragon on June 29, 2013, 12:56:33 AM

There is a post quantity minimum for attachments. It used to be 100, but may have decreased. Host your pic somewhere else, and link to it.

Ok. I guess I will just have to keep posting until I hit the minimum...   Oh boy!!!

>:D

MacGruff

I've finally achieved the lofty status of "Member" of this board and therefore have been awarded the privilege of posting pics directly from my computer. Yay!!!   ;)

Anyway, here is the photo I took of a CAP license plate at one of our squadron meetings.

[attachment deleted by admin]

a2capt

Plate 00051 on your 51st post. How about that.