Main Menu

CAP SAFETY VESTS

Started by Dutchboy, December 13, 2007, 06:47:21 AM

Dutchboy

Does anyone know if anyone carries the safety vests that has the reflective back ground behind the cap seal and words "civil Air Patrol"?

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Dutchboy

Quote from: Pylon on December 13, 2007, 06:48:09 AM
These?

I was hoping to avoid them(vanguard)  I have a pending big order and maybe if I order now, I might get it in time for encampment in june? Jk (kinda)

SJFedor

See if you can find a local place that can do some neat work.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Dutchboy

Quote from: SJFedor on December 13, 2007, 07:31:07 AM
See if you can find a local place that can do some neat work.

But I think Vanguard has exclusive rights to it because of the CAP seal.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the ones from Vangaurd.  yes they have the seal and it looks cool, but they're not that reflective.  Especially with the gear on you can hardly see it.  I've got a high reflective belt from AFFES I picked up when I was on base and it's a lot more visible.  Now if you prefer a vest go to

www.galls.com

http://www.reflect-a-life.com/?gclid=CLrImOLuvY0CFRaiQQodmFq-HA

these are much better sources especially from a safety stand point

Removed FTP tags that were breaking the URLs - MIKE

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

afgeo4

Item CAP1402D from Vanguard seems to be VERY reflective.

Anyone know if there is a difference between the "Marshaller" and "Supervisor" vests?
Does it say that on the back or something?
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on January 04, 2008, 09:35:28 PM
Personally I'm not a big fan of the ones from Vangaurd.  yes they have the seal and it looks cool, but they're not that reflective.  Especially with the gear on you can hardly see it.  I've got a high reflective belt from AFFES I picked up when I was on base and it's a lot more visible.  Now if you prefer a vest go to

www.galls.com

http://www.reflect-a-life.com/?gclid=CLrImOLuvY0CFRaiQQodmFq-HA

these are much better sources especially from a safety stand point

Removed FTP tags that were breaking the URLs - MIKE

Please don't tell our members to wear pink reflective belts with purple checks on them.
GEORGE LURYE

I never said purple with checks.  There are other color options, their orange is much better than anyone else's I've seen.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

afgeo4

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on January 05, 2008, 11:37:42 PM
I never said purple with checks.  There are other color options, their orange is much better than anyone else's I've seen.

Nothing beats Syracuse Orange!   ;D
GEORGE LURYE

As long as it's not purple and bright reflective it will keep us safe.  With purple I don't want to look like Barney and I don't want anyone else in the program to look like him either.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

SarDragon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 05, 2008, 08:46:19 AM

Anyone know if there is a difference between the "Marshaller" and "Supervisor" vests?

Yes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dutchboy

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 06, 2008, 01:14:13 AM
Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on January 05, 2008, 11:37:42 PM

Nothing beats Syracuse Orange!   ;D
Aggie Blue Beats it!

Dutchboy

Quote from: SarDragon on January 06, 2008, 09:13:19 AM

Yes.
what does it say?

SarDragon

Quote from: messofficer on January 20, 2008, 07:06:06 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 06, 2008, 09:13:19 AM

Yes.
what does it say?

Well, not having pix of the backs available, I can only hazard a SWAG here, but they probably say"Marshaller" or "Supervisor".
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on January 04, 2008, 09:35:28 PM
Personally I'm not a big fan of the ones from Vangaurd.  yes they have the seal and it looks cool, but they're not that reflective.  Especially with the gear on you can hardly see it. 

Umm, what "gear" do you need as a marshaller or supervisor that would need to go over a vest? And how many times have you done marshalling where you need any more reflective material than is provided by items 1402A thru 1402D?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SSgt Rudin

this is a little bit of a drift but the last time I did FLM training (4 years ago) we all had orange vests on. Are FLM's and FLS's required to wear the lime one's now? I am doing it again here soon and that would be good to know.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

SarDragon

To the best of my knowledge, as a long time ramp rat, you just need to wear some sort of high visibility clothing.

The AF specifies a "sleeveless garment of fluorescent international orange". A draft CAP flight line reference specifies "reflective vest". Lighted wands are required during low visibility (dark) operating conditions.

The Vanguard stuff should meet CAP standards.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

Quote from: SarDragon on January 21, 2008, 09:00:45 AM
To the best of my knowledge, as a long time ramp rat, you just need to wear some sort of high visibility clothing.

The AF specifies a "sleeveless garment of fluorescent international orange". A draft CAP flight line reference specifies "reflective vest". Lighted wands are required during low visibility (dark) operating conditions.

Umm... we don't have standards. We have suggestions. And mostly just on this board.

All our stuff said is that you have to wear a safety vest.
GEORGE LURYE

SJFedor

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 21, 2008, 04:32:56 PM

Umm... we don't have standards. We have suggestions. And mostly just on this board.

Next time  I'm running a flight line, I'm going to wear a personal flotation device. As long as it's orange....  >:D >:D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: SJFedor on January 24, 2008, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 21, 2008, 04:32:56 PM

Next time  I'm running a flight line, I'm going to wear a personal flotation device. As long as it's orange....  >:D >:D

meh, a MK1 Float Coat (below) costs $180 and the closet to orange is buying a white one and dying it. Not worth it (to me) for the joke. But if you want to get out there in a regular old sterns (2nd pic) have fun, mine as well wear a C-Collar, 15 sweaters, and put a vice around your "man parts" and try to direct A/C.

SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Stonewall

I finally found mine, the one we wore at my squadron in DCWG (DC-053).  $29.99 from Galls and it doesn't identify us as something we're not, nor does it scream "CIVIL AIR PATROL".  I'm all about advertising, in a recruiting sense, but in the line of duty, such as at scene, I'd rather not be soooo distinctive.  I know, sounds rather paranoidish, but that's me.  Doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Looking at Galls, I found this little piece of gear.  Fairly inexpensive and seems somewhat practical.

• Highly visible and durable, this vest delivers maximum safety and utility.
  • Polyester (fluorescent lime) or nylon (orange or blue) construction
  • Two reflective stripes on front and one in back for night time visibility
  • Two large front utility pockets with Velcro® closure
  • Front radio pocket with star of life patch
  • Rear fanny pack pocket Velcro® closure
  • Sized to fit over outer garments
Comes in orange, blue and lime green.

$69.99
Serving since 1987.

BigMojo

I have that vest...it fits a lot of gear in it. If you watch ebay, they come up for 39.99 every now and again. Its vinyl lined, so it's a bit warm here in S.Florida, but very functional.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

isuhawkeye

Within EMS in my area that particular item has been identified with some of the more unprofessional, yet eager volunteer entities

Stonewall

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 09, 2008, 10:26:58 PM
...some of the more unprofessional, yet eager volunteer entities....

We call'em squirrels...

Serving since 1987.

isuhawkeye

I love it.  That is totally going on my website

Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2008, 11:27:53 PM
...some of the more unprofessional, yet eager volunteer entities....

We call'em squirrels...

That's Brilliant!!

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Trouble

Within EMS in my area that particular item has been identified with some of the more unprofessional, yet eager volunteer entities

Really?   

I just picked up a similar vest, the Ferno Responder II - mesh in Red. I plan to add some retro reflective tape to the pockets and see if I can't get some local stitch witch to add a Molle/Pals panel on each side, along with internal loops for a waist belt. I think for CAP those kind of vests are what we should be using, seems to be a Tactical Medic vest only in Bright colors.  I'll post some pics once I have the vest up to speed.
Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

isuhawkeye