Main Menu

CAP safety meetings & safety paperwork

Started by RiverAux, December 21, 2006, 02:21:05 AM

RiverAux

Are your CAP flight safety meetings useful or does your safety officer just go through the motions and have people sign the list saying they were there? 

Is your Wing focused on documenting that safety meetings are held or focused on making sure they were done right? 

Are you seeing penalties applied to squadrons that don't turn in their safety paperwork or to squadrons that turn in paperwork but only give the topic lip service? 

DNall

um... I hate to say this, but almost every Sq in CAP is so massively undermanned that just about everything we do is like that. You can even go to a Sq that does very well w/ cadet programs & take a look at their Test Control log or Cadet Paperwork & not think they're so hot.

This is again the same conversation we were having about the MML being highly misleading of reality but being the only hard numbers the next level has to look at.

The fact is a lot of reports go up in a lot of areas that are somewhere btwn lip service & flat BS. There's almost nothing you can do about it though cause there's just not the capability in 75+% of units to actually do everything they're supposed to up to the stated standards, much less to excel.

You really have to have a minimum of 20 hard working adult officers with at least a year or two in a specialty to get close, & then retention creates continuity problems. Like I said, I really hate to say it, but it's just bad mgmt that flows from bad structure.

I'd go with that plan I've been talking... Most Sqs become Flts, 3-5 Flts focused on the job in front of them share a single combined Sq staff - that is sorta like the Iowa version of lifting the burden up off Sqs, but putting it w/ what amounts to a micro-group & then lifting it on to the Gp/Wg level we're used to. I know that sounds like a hassle, but it seems like the best way to me.

SarDragon

Quote from: DNall on December 21, 2006, 08:21:44 AM
um... I hate to say this, but almost every Sq in CAP is so massivle undermanned that just about everything we do is like that. You can even go to a Sq that does very well w/ cadet programs & take a look at tehir Test Control log or Cadet Paperwork & not think they're so hot. This is again the same conversation we were having about the MML being highly misleading of reality but being the only hard numbers the next level has to look at. The fact is a lot of reports go up in a lot of areas that are somewhere btwn lip serivce & flat BS. There's almost nothing you can do about it though cause there's just not the capability in 75+% of units to actually do everything they're supposed to up to the stated standards, much less to excel. You really have to have a minimum of 20 hard working adult officers with at least a year or two in a specialty to get close, & then retention creates continuity problems. Like I said, I really hate to say it, but it's just bad mgmt that flows from bad structure. I'd go with that plan I've been talking... Most Sqs become Flts, 3-5 Flts focused on the job in front of them share a single combined Sq staff - that is sorta like the Iowa version of lifting the burden up off Sqs, but putting it w/ what amounts to a micro-group & then lifting it on to the Gp/Wg level we're used to. I know that sounds like a hassle, but it seems like the best way to me.

Did you really expect someone to read that?

Is the Return key on your keyboard broken?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

RiverAux

Unlike test control logs and other technical requirements, CAP, on occassion, actually does seem to care about safety.  Personally, I think they're placing a little too much emphasis on documenting that we've had safety meetings over actually making sure the meetings are worthwhile. 

DNall

Well no, I mean there's reporting requirements for finance & a range of thigns reall. There's even the chart to show due dates for regular reports. It's all the same & stacks up over the head so fast it all ends up lip service to look okay on paper to the next level up, cause in teh real world you're busting your but to run thsi aspect or that. You just aren't getting everything really done the way regs say it should be, and you can't cause there's not people to do it.