Main Menu

Color Deficiency Test

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 29, 2010, 06:14:51 PM

RADIOMAN015

Check this out:
http://www.archimedes-lab.org/colorblindnesstest.html

Might be a good test to give to all CAP drivers.  Also any cadets that have an interest in flying and occupations that require no defect in color vision.
RM

Eclipse

So you're suggesting that CAP limit people who have state-issued driver's licenses from driving a CAP vehicle, even though colorblindness is not a restricting factor for the regular DL?

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2010, 06:17:31 PM
So you're suggesting that CAP limit people who have state-issued driver's licenses from driving a CAP vehicle, even though colorblindness is not a restricting factor for the regular DL?
Depends how that CAP driver is going to be utilized (not sure I would use them in ES type activities, or at least ensure there's another senior member in the front seat with normal color vision)   Generally CAP goes by the local law on driver license.  You got one, you got a good chance of being a CAP driver.   

Safety wise driving 12 people in a van, it is reasonable for CAP to know what medical or other conditions might impact this driving.
RM 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

How would color blindness affect driving ability? If you notice signage colors and traffic light configurations are standard thoughout the US. We have a hard enough time getting qualified people. Why add stupid requirements?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on May 30, 2010, 02:45:38 AM
How would color blindness affect driving ability? If you notice signage colors and traffic light configurations are standard thoughout the US. We have a hard enough time getting qualified people. Why add stupid requirements?

Yep - and they are designed to compensate for colorblindness - sign shapes, signals with the light in a specific position, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

N Harmon

I have red/green colorblindness. And while it has presented a few obstacles in my life, it does not affect my ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. And children are all tested for colorblindness at young ages, so this isn't really something CAP needs to deal with.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

isuhawkeye

there are also FAA waivers for pilots who are color blind   :-\

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2010, 02:49:06 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on May 30, 2010, 02:45:38 AM

Yep - and they are designed to compensate for colorblindness - sign shapes, signals with the light in a specific position, etc.
Stop signs can be missing,where there is also a flashing red light, signal lights with various colors might be employed (e.g. tower to aircraft comm out procedures,  homeland security comm signal procedures etc).     The military tests for color blindness as part of the initial entrance processing.  As the official Auxiliary of the USAF, it stands to reason that we should ensure our personnel who have this deficiency, and perform official CAP driving, pilot, other crew member status, GT/UDF team status, etc are known to us, regardless of waivers etc.    Every mission requires having a good knowledge of your resources strengths & weaknesses.

Also if you have cadets that are considering going into the military it's a good idea for them to known if they have a color deficiency issue  -- since certain military occupations required normal color vision.  The computer test listed looks very similiar to the MEPS processing test we would give to  military service applicants.

RM

cap235629

Radioman,

Your perfect world doesn't exist.  Go dig a hole somewhere and found your own organization similar to the "U.S. Ranger Corps" and you can make all the rules.  None of your suggestions have any basis in reality.  If you were in my unit you would be quickly ostracized in hopes that you would just go away.................
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: cap235629 on May 30, 2010, 03:41:05 PM
Radioman,

Your perfect world doesn't exist.  Go dig a hole somewhere and found your own organization similar to the "U.S. Ranger Corps" and you can make all the rules.  None of your suggestions have any basis in reality.  If you were in my unit you would be quickly ostracized in hopes that you would just go away.................
Bit confused about the perfect world comment ???.

Safety is very important to CAP.  Once again, we need to be aware of our personnel's limitations and how they will affect our ES/Homeland Security missions as well as with typical squadron support activities involving vehicle/aircraft operation. :-[ 

Color deficiency in the military services seems to be very important and is tested as part of the military qualification standard. The military can/does utilize various types of signalling lights during radio comm blackout procedures.   CAP could be called upon during our missions to be able to interpret certain colored signal codes.

Many of you want to play Air Force, but yet you don't seem to want to have the complete standard (e.g. color vision deficiency is disqualifying for AF aircraft crew membes) applied to you. 

It's interesting that in any debate in CAP, it always gets down to the other person being attacked and told they should leave CAP if they don't agree with policy -- Got news for you, CAP doesn't have a policy on member's with color vision deficiency  :-\   Perhaps a policy would be in order.  IF not, oh well that's the way it is until there's a serious accident :-[
RM 

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 30, 2010, 04:07:53 PM
Color deficiency in the military services seems to be very important and is tested as part of the military qualification standard. The military can/does utilize various types of signalling lights during radio comm blackout procedures.   CAP could be called upon during our missions to be able to interpret certain colored signal codes.

Give me a break...

It's interesting that in any debate in CAP, it always gets down to the other person being attacked and told they should leave CAP if they don't agree with policy -- Got news for you, CAP doesn't have a policy on member's with color vision deficiency  :-\   Perhaps a policy would be in order.  IF not, oh well that's the way it is until there's a serious accident

Show me one situation in CAP where colorblindness was a factor and effected safety or mission effectiveness.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2010, 06:40:09 PM

Give me a break...

It's interesting that in any debate in CAP, it always gets down to the other person being attacked and told they should leave CAP if they don't agree with policy -- Got news for you, CAP doesn't have a policy on member's with color vision deficiency  :-\   Perhaps a policy would be in order.  IF not, oh well that's the way it is until there's a serious accident

Show me one situation in CAP where colorblindness was a factor and effected safety or mission effectiveness.

I always thought that safety is about preventing incidents & accidents, not a knee jerk response to an accident ???

Again, at least USAF wise, on mission tasking they would assume normal color vision of crew members since that's what they require of flight crew members.   We pride ourself on being able to perform many different "Homeland Security --  Missions for America"  -- So you know for certain looking into your crystal ball that we will never have a mission involving various colored signal lights ???

My guess is there's probably not very many color vision impaired CAP members, BUT just like any other medical issue/limitation, at the very least the member's commander should be aware of this and an appropriate risk analysis be conducted when using these personnel for CAP vehicle driving and/or PIC/flight crew status.
RM 

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 31, 2010, 12:39:27 PMSo you know for certain looking into your crystal ball that we will never have a mission involving various colored signal lights?

Yes.
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 31, 2010, 12:39:27 PM
...just like any other medical issue/limitation, at the very least the member's commander should be aware of this and an appropriate risk analysis be conducted when using these personnel for CAP vehicle driving and/or PIC/flight crew status.

Risk of what?

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

Wait.....you want to discriminate against people due to color? Nazi! >:D

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Lord on May 31, 2010, 02:33:27 PM
Wait.....you want to discriminate against people due to color? Nazi! >:D

Major Lord

And Godwin is proved right again  >:D

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Gung Ho

Well Radioman is if we have to know if anybody has a form of color blindness before they can be in CAP we are in trouble. If you read the post there is no commonly available test for Blue/Yellow deficiency. With that said we should disband CAP because we could have somebody with a blue/yellow problem out there driving one of our vans and we would not know it. Get a life!!

But wait, has anybody checked if a color blindness problem could cause a problem with our uniforms? I mean what if somebody with a colorblindness mistook one of the CAP officers as a real AF officer?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Gung Ho on May 31, 2010, 08:40:51 PM
Well Radioman is if we have to know if anybody has a form of color blindness before they can be in CAP we are in trouble. If you read the post there is no commonly available test for Blue/Yellow deficiency. With that said we should disband CAP because we could have somebody with a blue/yellow problem out there driving one of our vans and we would not know it. Get a life!!

But wait, has anybody checked if a color blindness problem could cause a problem with our uniforms? I mean what if somebody with a colorblindness mistook one of the CAP officers as a real AF officer?
Hmm reading the entire article at this website is quite interesting:
http://www.archimedes-lab.org/colorblindnesstest.html#reverse including the possible mitigations methods being experiemented with and a bit more information on the military use of this type of testing.

As far as your post goes,  you definitely are showing your maturity level --  This was brought up for discussion as a potential safety issue.  If you want to comment on that e.g. you are color deficient than by all means do.  Has nothing to do with uniforms >:( 

At this point I would ask the moderator to close the topic and perhaps the best way at this point is to send the concern to National Headquarters and see what they say.

RM 

cap235629

^^^^^need a stamp? maybe you'll finally shut up!!!!!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

a2capt

If you put "matter for the blind" on the envelope, you don't even need the stamp.   ;D

I think, however, if this were really an issue it would be something a bit more embedded in society.

If red was never the same thing that most everyone else sees, but all that particular individual say, when you say "is this red, they say yes" and it's over. They know whatever it is as red.

Done.

Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist in full.