Main Menu

Windows 98 Computer Help.

Started by Hoorah, December 20, 2009, 01:48:14 AM

Hoorah

People probably would say why am I creating a topic like this here is the reason. I just recieved a pre christmas gift a Windows 98 laptop. I am struggling to figure out what office programs, to maps I can use.
All help would be  very helpfull.

lordmonar

Tie a rope to the Lap Top.  Tie the other end to a row boat.....throw laptop into water.

;D

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hoorah

Quote from: lordmonar on December 20, 2009, 01:57:33 AM
Tie a rope to the Lap Top.  Tie the other end to a row boat.....throw laptop into water.

;D
No its almost a 2000 dollar win dows 98  used.

RiverAux

Boy, you're going to have a tough time using that with just about everything.  Your best bet is to ask around to see if anyone has any old software they haven't thrown away. 

FYI, it might have been worth 2K new, but now its in the paperweight category. 

Hoorah

Quote from: RiverAux on December 20, 2009, 02:07:14 AM
Boy, you're going to have a tough time using that with just about everything.  Your best bet is to ask around to see if anyone has any old software they haven't thrown away. 

FYI, it might have been worth 2K new, but now its in the paperweight category.
Attention all IT personel message me if you have any Windows 98 software.

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on December 20, 2009, 02:02:12 AM
No its almost a 2000 dollar win dows 98  used.

In 1998, it may well have cost the original purchaser $2000.  Today you can buy a Netbook with XP or Linux on it with 10x's the power, 5x's the RAM, and 16x's the drive space for less than $300.

Assuming its been optimized, and has a decent amount of ram on it, you can run programs from that era, including Office, etc., however it likely won't have wireless, or even a built-on NIC for internet, and would be considered a VERY insecure machine for surfing the web.  Microsoft no longer supports Win98, nor do they issues patches or security fixes.  I'm not sure if the last-round can even still be downloaded.

If its upgradeable, I would look into it, but likely its not worth it financially unless you can find the parts used or free.  You might consider
trying the Ubuntu version of Linux, but a Win98-era machine might be underpowered even for that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Seabee219

WIndows 98 is not even supported by Microsoft anymore for about a million years now.  Depends on the specs see if it can run XP.  I have software that can run on 98 still including office, not sure how good it will be for changing files, the new office should read older office files, but not the other way around. good luck

CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

Hoorah

I found out from my good friend from GA that he can get tons of Windows 98 software but I was wondering if you could still find CAP software built for a Windows 98.

Spike

Let me get the DeLorean out and have Doc and Marty go back to 1999 for you.  I can not even remember what windows 98 looked like, or what color the fail-crash screen was. 

Seabee219

They are always the blue screen of death, blue with white letters.  >:D
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on December 20, 2009, 02:32:43 AM
I found out from my good friend from GA that he can get tons of Windows 98 software but I was wondering if you could still find CAP software built for a Windows 98.

CAP "software"?

Other than the CAP add-on for Flight Sim (which that box will never run), I don't know what would qualify as "CAP Software"  All the forms
will work if you have a Word-compatible office program, or an old copy of Acrobat reader.

"That Others May Zoom"

SamFranklin

Give the cadet a break. He's got his own laptop and is excited about that. It's not a Macbook Air, but so what?

Cadet Williams, boot it up and see if it has MS Office 97 installed. If not, check out a flea market or ebay for that software and offer no more than $20 for it.

If you can run Office 97 on it, you can use your laptop as a word processor for school. Ask your technology teacher at school for help, too.

I started with an outdated computer, too. You can get some use out of it. Good luck.

(Maybe the members of this board should show a little more gratitude and compassion once in a while. It's Christmas.)

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Quote from: magoo on December 20, 2009, 06:14:09 AM
Give the cadet a break. He's got his own laptop and is excited about that. It's not a Macbook Air, but so what?

He asserted that he had a $2000 Windows 98 machine - those no longer exist.

He asked for "CAP Software" - that never existed.

He's likely expected to be able to use it in ways which will be a practical impossibility, or a financially unfeasible one. For which I made a viable suggestion - Linux (to which he should add a copy of Open Office) which is "free".

Quote from: magoo on December 20, 2009, 06:14:09 AMIt's not a Macbook Air...
Correct, if it was he'd really have something - a boat anchor he could sell to buy a real computer and a boat.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyerthom

Quote from: Seabee219 on December 20, 2009, 02:45:31 AM
They are always the blue screen of death, blue with white letters.  >:D

As for Win 98 - ebay
TC

Capt Rivera

http://www.ubuntu.com/ or any linux distro that your hardware can handle.
- Open Office and many other Open Source Free software...

* Google the rest...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

MikeD

Put Linux on it, I think someone else already suggest Ubuntu.  I'd say Open Office is on your must-have list, and I'd play around with writing code in C and Python on it. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MikeD on December 21, 2009, 02:47:29 AM
Put Linux on it, I think someone else already suggest Ubuntu.  I'd say Open Office is on your must-have list, and I'd play around with writing code in C and Python on it. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220584

$289 Shipped. Way more powerful too.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

I am looking for software such as picture editing software to music software to maps etc for Windows 98.