0 (0%)
OCP [Operational Camouflage Pattern]
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 10, 2019, 02:59:21 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: WillTheCommsGuy on January 06, 2019, 02:27:18 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2019, 01:40:13 AM
I love how someone hears some random term somewhere and thinks it applies despite having no bearing.

The Corporate Field Uniform is all but black, where / how would the term "smurf suit" be remotely applicable?

Because a senior member in my squadron wears it, and to my it always looked blue (maybe because it's old and faded). Also, I love how someone tries to correct someone else with the wrong information. The uniform IS blue, not black. Don't believe me? Look at vaguardmil.com. Or this photo I have attached. I heard the term "smurf suit" in reference to the corporate field uniform one time at my squadron. Obviously that's not the correct term, so I retract my earlier statement. Next time you get your panties in a wad over a comment, get your facts straight.

By the way, absolutely no disrespect is intended. I just though it was funny how I made one comment at got slapped down for it.

I said "all but black", which depending on manufacturer and lighting it decidedly is. In fact, some of the ones
from VG, when brand new, are more indigo then blue.

The term "smurf suit", despite the fact that it was widely worn in its time, was at best 50 - 50 derogatory / endearing
and generally skewed towards the derogatory, not only of the garment, but also towards the wearer, which the use here sounded to
me like as well.

It's never applied to the CFU.

Back to the subject, while its disappointing the amount of time members expend being concerned about boot color and headgear,
it is humorous to imagine the hundreds of members, especially cadets, who have to make the weekly , soul-scorching decision:

"Do I wear the lame uniform with the cool hat, or the cool uniform with the lame hat..."

Surely Homer's choice was easier.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

This is a Smurf. Note the very close resemblance to the color of the jumpsuit.

Hence the nickname.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Kayll'b

it all depends on how you look at it. BDUs are more comfortable. However...ABUs have pen pockets!!!  :D :D :D :D
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Shuman 14

Quote from: Kayll'b on January 07, 2019, 07:02:46 AM
it all depends on how you look at it. BDUs are more comfortable. However...ABUs have pen pockets!!!  :D :D :D :D

BDUs have a pen pocket, its inside the left breast pocket and that's why there is a slit in the top of the left breast pocket flap.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

WillTheCommsGuy

Quote from: shuman14 on January 07, 2019, 02:51:49 PM
Quote from: Kayll'b on January 07, 2019, 07:02:46 AM

BDUs have a pen pocket, its inside the left breast pocket and that's why there is a slit in the top of the left breast pocket flap.  ;)

I've seen that, but I was told it was against reg's to put it there. I just keep it in the second flap where the buttons are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GroundHawg

Quote from: Stonewall on January 05, 2019, 01:01:27 PM
I wear OCPs every day and they are, by far, the second most comfortable utility/combat uniform I've ever worn.  The first were ABSGs, which were worn in Afghanistan/Iraq for a few years until we switched to OCPs for deployers in 2011.  ABSGs were absolutely the most comfy and practical uniform I've worn, except they were still ABU patterned camouflage.

The last deployment I wore them was in 09, and they truly were great. 

For CAP, I just wish we could get rid of the black boots, they look terrible.

I cant agree with this statement more

Alas, I proposed my own CAP-specific uniform here on CAP Talk 10+ years ago. Same uniform as OCP except solid olive drab green rather than any type of camouflage pattern.

I loved your proposal, and wish they would at least switch the BBDU to an OCP style top.

vorteks

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 07, 2019, 03:04:14 PM
I wear OCPs every day and they are, by far, the second most comfortable utility/combat uniform I've ever worn.  The first were ABSGs, which were worn in Afghanistan/Iraq for a few years until we switched to OCPs for deployers in 2011.  ABSGs were absolutely the most comfy and practical uniform I've worn, except they were still ABU patterned camouflage.

Alas, I proposed my own CAP-specific uniform here on CAP Talk 10+ years ago. Same uniform as OCP except solid olive drab green rather than any type of camouflage pattern.

I loved your proposal, and wish they would at least switch the BBDU to an OCP style top.

Except OCP tops are more than twice the cost of BBDU coats......$70 vs $25. It's a nonstarter for that reason alone

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: vorteks on January 07, 2019, 03:16:43 PM

Except OCP tops are more than twice the cost of BBDU coats......$70 vs $25. It's a nonstarter for that reason alone

They're going to be. Supply + demand.

Except the BBDU should have no effect on the ABU, BDU, or OCP.

TheSkyHornet

I'm still standing by this one; I get a lot of shack on that. They look atrocious. Totally out of place. And shining boots is no longer the training-ism it once was.

The whole "to make the uniform look distinctive" is bogus. The blue nametapes do that. The "Civil Air Patrol" on the uniform does that. The reason they didn't go with 'suedes' is because it would be a huge cost for people to replace their black boots.

I think the option should have been to wear BDUs with the black boots or ABUs with the synthetics. Black with the ABU...really any modern military-style working uniform...looks so tacky.

Eclipse

TACU coats from Propper run about $40-50, would be a better choice for CAP, and are a closer match for the OCPs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

I just got some US Army pants from a family friend. Could I wear those instead of the ABU pants? Are they the same pattern?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

vorteks

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on January 07, 2019, 04:11:04 PM
I just got some US Army pants from a family friend. Could I wear those instead of the ABU pants? Are they the same pattern?

No and No

vorteks

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2019, 04:01:52 PM

TACU coats from Propper run about $40-50, would be a better choice for CAP, and are a closer match for the OCPs.

I'm not down with that Members Only collar though

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: vorteks on January 07, 2019, 04:16:02 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on January 07, 2019, 04:11:04 PM

No and No

What pattern are the US army pants?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

abdsp51

Quote from: vorteks on January 07, 2019, 04:18:28 PM

You are aware those collars roll down like the ACU/OCP right?

vorteks

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 07, 2019, 04:33:58 PM

Am now!

vorteks

Quote from: vorteks on January 07, 2019, 04:36:17 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on January 07, 2019, 04:33:58 PM

Am now!

Though I just searched the entire internet and can't find a single picture of it in that configuration..... so I'm guessing it's not meant to be worn that way?

Eclipse

Quote from: vorteks on January 07, 2019, 04:41:21 PM
Though I just searched the entire internet and can't find a single picture of it in that configuration..... so I'm guessing it's not meant to be worn that way?

I wear it that way all the time - though you would not be putting grade on it, that would have to be a tab or similar.

I bought one of these a while back (with pants), and wear the coat as a light jacket.

The matching trousers are cool as they have the lower pockets like the ABU pants have.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Don't know where you're shopping but OCP coats are $38 at Military Clothing Sales.

GroundHawg

Quote from: PHall on January 07, 2019, 06:34:06 PM

Don't know where you're shopping but OCP coats are $38 at Military Clothing Sales.

My wholesale cost on them is $16.90, so I would sell them for around $20-$25 retail depending on the S&H costs. I am not a huge buyer so my costs aren't that great, but I am sure a larger retailer could easily sell them for $20 or lower.