Main Menu

Use of an M2 Compass

Started by Eclipse, February 06, 2006, 09:46:56 AM

Eclipse

I just got my hands on an Army M2 Compass and despite most of the online resources saying it should display in both degrees and mils, all I see are the mils.

The math conversion is 17.78 mils to a degree, but the dial appears to be displayed backwards for viewing through the mirror, so I'm still just trying to figure out
what corresponds to 0 & 90 to reverse engineer the rest.

Also, the dial can be moved and is not centered where I think it should be. I suspect I am 180 off, but haven't had time to play with it much.

I suspect if they let me carry a mortar in my 24-hour gear this would be real useful.

Anyone got a "dummies" guide to using this in our misisons, or a maybe access to a manual online?

Googling got me to a few good resources, but nothing yet with an a-b-c, or the actual manual.

If you don't know what I am referring to, check out this:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_compass_m2.php

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I did a search for "TM 9-1596" and got 20 hits on Yahoo!. It looked like some folks were selling repro manuals in a few of them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Thanks, I found those , too, but was hoping there might be a .pdf or similiar
somewhere considering this is an Army tool.

The gist of what I'm gearing is that a dead-accurate as this may be, it'll more hassle than its worth for SAR Nav use.   :-\

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on February 06, 2006, 08:18:52 PM
Thanks, I found those , too, but was hoping there might be a .pdf or similiar
somewhere considering this is an Army tool.

The gist of what I'm gearing is that a dead-accurate as this may be, it'll more hassle than its worth for SAR Nav use.   :-\

Perhaps if you can dig up on online forum for Artillery personnel (or maybe even some general Army discussion boards), you could post these questions about the device on there.  They may be more able to answer your questions and help you determine it's usefulness and operation.

Just a thought of where else to look to get some good answers... 

I may still have contact info for some Artillery officers back from my Army ROTC days.  I'll see if I can look any of them up...  Good luck!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP