NHQ Needs to release guidance

Started by OldGuy, March 17, 2020, 02:57:36 PM

NIN

Quote from: baronet68 on March 19, 2020, 03:40:33 AMReminds me of my cadet days in the 1980's when we trained in radiological monitoring.  My parents told me I could train all I wanted but, if there ever actually was an exchange of nuclear warheads  :o  , my chances of running around town measuring radiation with by CAP buddies were non-existent.  ::)

I don't think my parents realized that the packed rucksack and bug out bag, and the plans to get out of Dodge in the event of a nuclear exchange didn't involve them.

;)

Man that was a weird time.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Quote from: NIN on March 19, 2020, 12:59:27 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on March 19, 2020, 03:40:33 AMReminds me of my cadet days in the 1980's when we trained in radiological monitoring.  My parents told me I could train all I wanted but, if there ever actually was an exchange of nuclear warheads  :o  , my chances of running around town measuring radiation with by CAP buddies were non-existent.  ::)

I don't think my parents realized that the packed rucksack and bug out bag, and the plans to get out of Dodge in the event of a nuclear exchange didn't involve them.

;)

Nah, there was a logic and balance to it. Big hair. Big superpowers. Today, it's just chaos and no big hair.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

etodd

Quote from: JayT on March 19, 2020, 11:46:04 AM...The ONLY way to prevent that is to not expose yourself and spread it to others. That's the only way we're going to get ahead of this. There's simply no need for the services that CAP can offer in this one, except keep 50K people out of the line of fire.

^^^^ This over and over again.

If anyone is just going nuts wanting to make this about CAP, then while staying inside your home, wear your uniform, and monitor the situation via the internet.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Spam

Quote from: JayT on March 19, 2020, 11:46:04 AMListen, here's a reality check that you need. This isn't a wartime situation where the bulk of the action is overseas, and there's auxiliary tasks that can be preformed at home, safely by volunteers. This is a major public health crisis where thousands of people will die if this country isn't locked down as tight as possible. I am in the New York metro region, and our hospitals are at the breaking point. Non COVID19 patients are dying because there's not enough to go around for them. The ONLY way to prevent that is to not expose yourself and spread it to others. That's the only way we're going to get ahead of this. There's simply no need for the services that CAP can offer in this one, except keep 50K people out of the line of fire.

Jay, I doubt you or I would be able to puncture the self assurance he has, there. I completely agree, this isn't the fascist/imperialist German/Japanese enemy that my dad signed up to fight in '42, nor yet the communists I came in against in the tail end of the cold war (and am still designing and testing weapon systems against today). He has his vision, though, rooted in the imagined past.

Taking clear stock of the real past, is necessary to avoid missteps in the future. One of the good comments today (from Moving On) was his observation that we hopefully would do a good AAR and learn from these things. I hate to say it, but CAP rarely does a good job on this. Go take a look at the Katrina AAR, if you doubt that, with all the biting commentary preserved for time (including some from folks still around and here on CT):  https://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/2005/12/katrina_the_aar.html

Example:  as much a fan of cadets in ES as I am, I note here we are still taking under 18 cadets into disaster situations... only to experience "Disasterresponsus interruptus"?  We fail to document (generally), we fail to plan, we fail to equip to the mission (versus buying toys), and then we'd rather play than practice. Plus of course we take shots at each other.

Sigh.
- Spam

Spam

Quote from: THRAWN on March 19, 2020, 01:32:26 PM

;)

Nah, there was a logic and balance to it. Big hair. Big superpowers. Today, it's just chaos and no big hair.

Well, there is ONE guy with big hair... and chaos (thread drift)!

Did all the rad monitoring and shelter training down here in Atlanta as a cadet; we were told that all the meters and dosimeters and suits, etc. were safely stored in the CD bunker down on Confederate Avenue, in downtown Atlanta. Right under the presumed center of a first strike 2 megaton air burst. Great planning, huh? LOL

Analyze - plan - exercise the plan - be HONEST about the results - adjust the plan, repeat.

V/r
Spam

JayT

Quote from: Spam on March 19, 2020, 01:50:31 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on March 19, 2020, 01:32:26 PM

;)

Well, there is ONE guy with big hair... and chaos (thread drift)!

Did all the rad monitoring and shelter training down here in Atlanta as a cadet; we were told that all the meters and dosimeters and suits, etc. were safely stored in the CD bunker down on Confederate Avenue, in downtown Atlanta. Right under the presumed center of a first strike 2 megaton air burst. Great planning, huh? LOL

Analyze - plan - exercise the plan - be HONEST about the results - adjust the plan, repeat.

V/r
Spam

NYC OEM's bunker on 9/11 was in 7 WTC. It was in operations for about fifteen minutes.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

JayT

Quote from: etodd on March 19, 2020, 01:33:12 PM
Quote from: JayT on March 19, 2020, 11:46:04 AM...The ONLY way to prevent that is to not expose yourself and spread it to others. That's the only way we're going to get ahead of this. There's simply no need for the services that CAP can offer in this one, except keep 50K people out of the line of fire.

^^^^ This over and over again.

If anyone is just going nuts wanting to make this about CAP, then while staying inside your home, wear your uniform, and monitor the situation via the internet.

I truly admire peoples desire to help, but this is just not the time or place. If I thought there was a life saving mission to preform, I'd be all about it. But we're already sending our EMS volunteers home until absolutely necessary.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

OldGuy

Found here: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/cadet-blog/2020/03/16/coronavirus--keeping-cadets-engaged
-----------------
Posted on 03/16/2020 at 03:06 PM by Curt LaFond

Nearly all in-person cadet operations, worldwide, are on hold for the first time in our 77-year history. During this pause that extends at least until 11 May, the Cadet Program's main goal for itself is to maintain cadets' interest in CAP. When the "all clear" sounds, we want every cadet to return to active status. That challenge will not be easy. Weekly squadron meetings are like a dose of "Air Force blue." Going without that dose for several weeks could be like a slow goodbye to cadet life.

The National Cadet Team, in cooperation with the CAP Command Team, is working hard to accomplish two objectives this week. First, we want to provide squadrons with a practical, recipe-like plan for a 30-minute virtual weekly cadet activity. Second, we want to create reasonable accommodations (and wholesale waivers where necessary) so that cadets can continue ranking-up. Our theory is that a weekly "activity" and an opportunity to promote are essential to sustaining cadets' interests.

Look for guidance along these lines later this week. In the meantime, please use this space in the Cadet Blog to share ideas on how to keep cadets engaged - how to continue their weekly dose of "Air Force blue."
------------------------------------

JayT

JohhnyD

The dam is bursting, Wing Dos are working with State EOCs for tasking in multiple regions right now. We will be working soon.

The fog of war is real. Thanks to everyone involved!