Main Menu

Aircraft flyby

Started by nomiddlemas, September 15, 2014, 09:40:32 PM

nomiddlemas

Hello guys,
I was wondering if a CAP plane could do a flyby of a football game.  Im talking high school foot ball game.  It would be cool but could it be done?

Flying Pig

A flyby at 1000 ft wouldn't even be noticed. 

nomiddlemas

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 15, 2014, 11:06:29 PM
True but could it be done?

vento

Quote from: nomiddlemas on September 15, 2014, 11:17:19 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on September 15, 2014, 11:06:29 PM
True but could it be done?

Yes, since it will meet most FAA regulations assuming there is no TFR in the area.
BUT, a flyby at 1000 ft wouldn't even be noticed.

Flying Pig

Sure it can be done if you can convince a CAP pilot to shell out their own cash to do a fly over nobody will see.   It won't be a funded flight.

coudano

Might border on being an "airshow" which I think is prohibited up to region/cc level.

Eclipse

Quote from: coudano on September 16, 2014, 12:27:13 AM
Might border on being an "airshow" which I think is prohibited up to region/cc level.

Assuming it was treated as an air show, 900-5 now requires NHQ General Counsel approval - good luck with that.

I'd guess a CAP plane involved with this would be more like 2000-2500 feet, and would be a silent anemic spec,
probably not even noticed by anyone on the ground.

What might be more appropriate would be an "HLS Practice Mission" whereby you provide aerial recon of the
parking area, incoming roads, and stadium, maybe even some photographs.

Framed properly you might even get funding for it.

As a simple "fly over"? Don't bother.

"That Others May Zoom"

nomiddlemas

Yea Im thinking renting and doing that would be easier.  All the government restrictions make it impossible.  Thanks guys. 

Flying Pig

A flyby in a 182 would be a snoozer regardless.   110kts isn't very fast sitting in the bleachers. Unless it's a helicopter.  Cuz helicopters are cool at any speed.

Panache

Quote from: nomiddlemas on September 15, 2014, 09:40:32 PM
I was wondering if a CAP plane could do a flyby of a football game. 

Negative, Ghost Rider.  The pattern is full.

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 16, 2014, 01:34:23 AM
A flyby in a 182 would be a snoozer regardless.   110kts isn't very fast sitting in the bleachers. Unless it's a helicopter.  Cuz helicopters are cool at any speed.

What if they play "Rock You Like A Hurricane" by Scorpion when the CAP plane is overhead?  Will that make it cool?

EMT-83

There is absolutely no reason why this couldn't be done, provided the flight follows 60-1. As has been pointed out, there would be nothing to see from the ground.

AirAux

Must play "Eye of the Tiger" or "Danger Zone"...

jeders

A few years ago the father (former USAF JAG officer and retired Maj or Lt Col) of one of our squadron members passed away and was buried at the local State Veterans Cemetery. CAP made a significant appearance at the funeral at the family's request and one of our members did a flyby. The flight was completely within regs and the only people who noticed were the ones who already knew that it was coming.

A few years before that we presented the colors at a local dirt track race event and also had a flyby. Again, it was completely within regs and again the only people who noticed were those that already knew about it.

I would suggest saving your time and money and stick to presenting the colors and maybe setting up an information booth if the school will allow it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

I've done a few flyovers in helicopter formations at 500'.  That's even a little high

AirAux

Did you ever see the Silver Eagles or Square Dance Team?  Pretty cool for the time..  Reminds me of a time in flight school, but I digress...

Flying Pig

Quote from: AirAux on September 16, 2014, 04:39:36 PM
Did you ever see the Silver Eagles or Square Dance Team?  Pretty cool for the time..  Reminds me of a time in flight school, but I digress...
I suggest you have an attorney on retainer before you go any farther with your story >:D

AirAux

It was a long, long time ago in a place far, far away, like 1967 in Fort Wolters, Tx.  Perhaps I have said too much, I am not sure about the Statute of Limitations.... Let's just say that I figured I would end up retired living in a trailer wearing cowboy boots to the local bar with a dirt floor...  Ah, the things dreams are made of..  Have you ever seen a Kohlsman window flip in a OH-13??  It's a wonderous sight, to say the least..

Panache

It's interesting, on a social commentary level, that we've become so used to aviation and air travel that we tend to subconsciously disregard aircraft flying overhead unless they're low enough that we can reach out and touch them.

And even then it's more of a "why is that plane so low?  Should I be running away?" sort of thought process.

nomiddlemas

Yep I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe just take photos from the sky of the game would be a better idea. 

NIN

Quote from: nomiddlemas on September 18, 2014, 12:31:36 AM
Yep I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe just take photos from the sky of the game would be a better idea.

I know a guy who can deliver the game ball....

Like this:

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.