Main Menu

Safety Currency is DEAD!

Started by lordmonar, June 28, 2015, 01:31:03 AM

Garibaldi

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 12, 2016, 03:22:50 PM
So, I'm going to be "that guy" and ask a potentially stupid question that's probably already been answered...

Yes or no--- Is there a requirement per National to complete monthly safety education (not perform it, but receive it) in order to continue as an active member?

This topic is floating around at various squadrons in my wing and everyone seems to have a different answer. It was my understanding that safety currency, as it has been put, is "dead," and that we are no longer required to receive a monthly safety lecture; however we are still required to perform it once a month and provide appropriate safety briefings before activities, as applicable/appropriate.

Am I mistaken here?

I thought it was applicable only to ES qualifications. No safety, no mission related activity for the member.

A-HA!!! an ICL exists outlining the new process!

1. CAPR 62-1 is currently undergoing a major revision to reflect implementation of the new Safety Management System. This interim change letter will remain in effect until such time as the new CAPR 62-1 is complete and published.

2. Monthly safety education is an integral part of the quest to instill a high level of safety knowledge and a strong safety culture throughout the Civil Air Patrol. It is intended to compliment but not inhibit member participation in CAP missions. Under the terms of this change to CAPR 62-1, monthly safety education will still be mandatory for all members of Civil Air Patrol, however all references to safety "currency" are being removed from the regulation. Units at all levels are required to present a monthly safety education briefing as currently outlined in CAPR 62-1, and members are expected to attend. If scheduling conflicts do not allow attendance members may receive their monthly safety education through one of the alternate methods described in CAPR 62-1. Commanders at every level will be held responsible for ensuring compliance with this requirement, and attendance/participation rates will be scrutinized as a metric in the Commander's Dashboard in eServices

So....just gonna leave this here....I'll play myself out...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

FW

Quote from: JeffDG on January 12, 2016, 02:30:47 AM
Quote from: FW on January 11, 2016, 05:30:25 PM
Sq/CC must do what he is ordered to do, however there is no requirement to do so nationwide.  Most non compliant members aren't active in ES, so that isn't a problem.  As I understand things, Non compliant members can still do AE or CP.  They can go to meetings and conferences.  They can even participate on missions, however before they begin the event, it's good practice to get them compliant...

There are no more "non-compliant" members.

Units are required to deliver safety education.  Members are no longer required to receive it.

Well said... ;D

NIN

OK, great.

So here's what I did (as a commander) even before "Safety Currency" was a thing:

I had a safety officer (technically still do) who was probably one of the most engaging safety officers I've ever dealt with.  He was really good and brought a lot to the table (he's a nurse-practitioner in an industrial health practice situation.. he sees guys with nails thru their hands, abrasions and injuries from falls, boots to the head, crap like that, day in and day out. IOW, he's seen all the good stuff!) and gave great safety briefings on a monthly basis.

He complained to me one night that when it was safety briefing time, the "audience" for the brief dwindled each night. The cadet staff would use that time to "do something else," the senior staff would be off "doing senior staff stuff," etc, and it was pretty disappointing (to him) that more and more people were finding ways to "ditch" the safety briefing that was "required."

So I immediately put the word out "On safety briefing nights, EVERYBODY will be in the safety briefing. No exceptions."

Of course, people tried. 

"What are you doing? Why aren't you in the safety briefing?"
"Oh, I have to score these tests."
"No, you need to be in the safety briefing."
"But.. the deputy commander for cadets told me I have to.."
"Score the tests later.  Briefing now. Come with me."

As the commander, I worked with my deputies so that they understood "There is no reason apart from an imminent death, preferably their own, for someone to miss the safety briefing if they are at the meeting."

And then I set the standard: I was at every safety briefing.  "If the commander is there, you'd better be there."

I'd note who wasn't there and find them after with the respective deputy commander:

"Why weren't you at the safety briefing?"
"Well, I uh, I had stuff I was doing in the office."
"I had stuff to do, too, but I took the time to go to the safety briefing.  Do you know that the unit policy is that everybody goes to the safety briefing? You know that its my intent that everybody goes to the safety briefing?"
"Yeah, but, I, uh..."
"So you know the unit policy, MY policy, on safety briefings, and you know that its necessary, but you decided on your own that the old man's instructions and his intent aren't good enough?"

Usually it didn't take but 1-2 of these conversations to impress upon everybody "The old man is serious about everybody being in the briefing.."  and then you had people running around rounding up people and you'd hear "You better get to the safety briefing!"

The deputy commanders didn't like having to take time out of their busy schedules to spend 10-15 minutes dealing with their people who thought they were exempt.  And pretty quickly, the safety briefing was *the* place to be.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: JeffDG on January 12, 2016, 02:30:47 AM

Units are required to deliver safety education.  Members are no longer required to receive it.

I respectfully disagree. Members are no longer required to be safety current to participate in activities or missions, nor are we tracking safety currency anymore. But members ARE still required to receive monthly safety education.

Quote from: ICL to CAPR 62-1, 29 June 2015

All active CAP members (seniors, cadets, cadet sponsors, 50 year and life members) must received safety education briefings.

Spam

NIN, I'm on board with your policy/examples.

In the interest of my demonstrated time management skills (or the CAP cat-herding version therof) I've asked my staff to cooperate on spreading these prompts.

(As an aside, do you really call yourself the "old man")?

Cheers
Spam

NIN

Quote from: Spam on January 12, 2016, 08:10:18 PM

In the interest of my demonstrated time management skills (or the CAP cat-herding version therof) I've asked my staff to cooperate on spreading these prompts.

When speaking in the "generic third person," occasionally.

Its an old habit referring to the commander as "the old man."

My current squadron commander is a woman.  "Old woman" just sound mean, so I haven't come up with a similar phrase.  "Old lady" sounds like I'm talking about my ex-wife. :)

(Plus, saying "Old woman" conjures up Holy Grail-esque conversations)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spam on January 12, 2016, 08:10:18 PM

Cheers
Spam

He's our age, so...

Spam

Makes sense, unless your name is Sisko, and are referring to Jadzia Dax as "Old Man", right? Symbiont rules are so confusing...

... and now, back to your safety thread, kids!

V/R
Spam

ALORD

I have been inactive for awhile, but aren't interim change letters only valid for 90 days, and then stale date, presumably to be replaced by an actual Regulation change? I may have to go back and read several years of CapTalk to see what else has changed! Is there a new 52-16? 39-1? Are we supposed to sew flags on our BDU's? Have any more National Commander been 2B'd?

I think it is a safe bet to say that NIN is old enough t qualify for the "old man" (skipper) title, especially in an organization that has had 97 year old 1st Lt's!

Garibaldi

Quote from: ALORD on January 12, 2016, 09:13:35 PM
I have been inactive for awhile, but aren't interim change letters only valid for 90 days, and then stale date, presumably to be replaced by an actual Regulation change? I may have to go back and read several years of CapTalk to see what else has changed! Is there a new 52-16? 39-1? Are we supposed to sew flags on our BDU's? Have any more National Commander been 2B'd?

I think it is a safe bet to say that NIN is old enough t qualify for the "old man" (skipper) title, especially in an organization that has had 97 year old 1st Lt's!

SUBJECT: Interim Change Letter - CAPR 62-1 CAP SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES AND
PROCEDURES
1. CAPR 62-1 is currently undergoing a major revision to reflect implementation of the new Safety Management System. This interim change letter will remain in effect until such time as the new CAPR 62-1 is complete and published.

CAPM 39-1 has been rescinded in all forms, we are free to wear we want now.

CAPR 52-16 has been rescinded in all forms. Cadets are henceforth subject to the UCMJ for infractions. SM officers are beholden to the UCMJ and its administration of judicial and non-judicial punishment, to include forfeiture of allowances, reduction in rank, and grounding.

Seriously, though, both manuals have undergone serious revision in the last few years. The Cadet PFT guide has been retooled.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 12, 2016, 09:20:38 PM
Quote from: ALORD on January 12, 2016, 09:13:35 PM

SUBJECT: Interim Change Letter - CAPR 62-1 CAP SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES AND
PROCEDURES

CAPM 39-1 has been rescinded in all forms, we are free to wear we want now.

CAPR 52-16 has been rescinded in all forms. Cadets are henceforth subject to the UCMJ for infractions. SM officers are beholden to the UCMJ and its administration of judicial and non-judicial punishment, to include forfeiture of allowances, reduction in rank, and grounding.

Seriously, though, both manuals have undergone serious revision in the last few years. The Cadet PFT guide has been retooled.

Can we please get this implemented? Including Art 15s and RPT sessions?

RRLE

Quote from: NIN on January 12, 2016, 08:13:21 PMMy current squadron commander is a woman.  "Old woman" just sound mean, so I haven't come up with a similar phrase.  "Old lady" sounds like I'm talking about my ex-wife.

There is the amateur radio acronym XYL. If they don't know what it means - all the bette.

West MI-CAP-Ret

I'm disabled, and no longer able to drive to our unit's meetings in Grand Rapids.  I've been told the job of admin and historian officer can be done at home, which I've been doing.  I was told to just go online to do my safety briefing, but I can't find the safety page.  Said it was under construction.

Just trying to stay current.  Looks like I messed up this month.  I realized it's 30 September.  Any ideas?
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Eclipse

Log in to eservices (for some reason it is going directly into WMIRS for some people so click "eservices" in the upper right corner if that's the case.

(assumes using the new menu).

on left menu

SAFETY

then

Safety Information and Reporting System (SIRS) 

Safety Education (middle of page)

Quote from: DemonOps on September 30, 2016, 11:18:34 PM
Just trying to stay current.  Looks like I messed up this month.  I realized it's 30 September.  Any ideas?

Knock one out before midnight Maxwell time.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

I just checked and SIRS is working for me.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 01, 2016, 12:47:42 AM
I just checked and SIRS is working for me.

My guess is he went to the Safety web page, which has been under construction for over a year.

SIRS working for me too.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panther

I don't know about you, but I sure will miss that "Tire Safety" course.

USAFA '20

Eclipse

Quote from: Panther on October 01, 2016, 04:02:34 AM

Still there, not going anywhere any time soon.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP_truth

LMS has a link at the bottom edge of courses
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Panther

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2016, 01:43:37 PM
Quote from: Panther on October 01, 2016, 04:02:34 AM

Still there, not going anywhere any time soon.

It still takes the fun out of doing random quizzes  ;)

USAFA '20