Simunition as carrer exploration.

Started by Kayll'b, April 16, 2019, 05:16:19 AM

Kayll'b

CAPR 52-16
c. Paint Ball and Simunitions. Due to liability, public image and safety considerations, paintball is
not authorized as a stand-alone CAP activity. However, to maximize career orientation opportunities,
cadets may participate in paint ball or simunition-type (force-on-force marking cartridge) training activities
only with the written permission of the wing commander, and only under the supervision of a law
enforcement agency or military unit. During these activities, cadets must wear protective equipment to
include, at a minimum, head and face protection, plus any additional gear required by the host agency.
Throughout the event, cadets must be under the direct supervision of a non-participating adult leader.

What would it take to make this happen in my unit?
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Fester

Pretty sure the reg gives you pretty clear answers to your question...
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

SarDragon

The very first thing you need to do is get a responsible senior member involved as a point person. Then do some planning to cover all the bases in the reg, and pitch it up the chain of command.

Good luck.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

First, let's get out of CAPR 52-16. That's outdated as of more than a year ago.

Your correct reference is CAPR 60-1 (effective 01FEB18).

Anticipate an uphill battle on this one...at least that's the case in my Wing. You really need to sell the activity as something that has a productive purpose, aside from being a morale boost. Even if you cover all the safety risk management requirements and develop a solid training plan, you may get a firm "Not happening" from your Wing Commander.

You'll face a bit of critique, since CAP is not a combat training force, and there isn't a need to be training cadets in combat-oriented tactics, despite the leadership development that can go along with managing small and large field operatives, and the skills that can go with it (i.e., map reading and route plotting, tactical maneuvering, etc).

I was once suggested that a better alternative is laser tag following being asked "Why is this specifically the activity you want to conduct versus another that may be equally productive/beneficial for your intent?" I guess maybe it's the liabilities? I dunno.

I was basically told not to even attempt paintball in my locale, as it won't be approved.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 16, 2019, 01:58:00 PM

"2.10.3. Paint Ball and Simunitions. Cadets may participate in paint ball or simunition-type (force-onforce marking cartridge) training activities
only under the supervision of a law enforcement agency or military unit and the HAA guidelines of 2.9. During these activities, cadets must wear protective
equipment to include, at a minimum, head and face protection, plus any additional gear required by the
host agency."

This is the updated verbiege.

Note that it indicates an LEA or military unit must supervise.  That's not "Tim's dad is a cop, and Jane's mom is in the Guard, so we're good. Let's
head out to Paintball USA and shred!"

Also, as stated, they serve no purpose as part of CAP's larger mission.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2019, 02:25:08 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 16, 2019, 01:58:00 PM

"2.10.3. Paint Ball and Simunitions. Cadets may participate in paint ball or simunition-type (force-onforce marking cartridge) training activities
only under the supervision of a law enforcement agency or military unit and the HAA guidelines of 2.9. During these activities, cadets must wear protective
equipment to include, at a minimum, head and face protection, plus any additional gear required by the
host agency."

This is the updated verbiege.

Note that it indicates an LEA or military unit must supervise.  That's not "Tim's dad is a cop, and Jane's mom is in the Guard, so we're good. Let's
head out to Paintball USA and shred!"

Also, as stated, they serve no purpose as part of CAP's larger mission.

As somebody who used to head up a law enforcement agency, I can say that I truly doubt that I would take on the supervision of such an activity. Simply put - too much resource outlay, too much potential liability, nothing immediately tangible for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Stonewall

I am working on a plan to allow cadets from my squadron to shoot simunitions through M9 and M4 later this year (around November).  We'll be hosting an activity at my ANG base where my CATM section has agreed to allow CAP cadets to shoot M9/M4 at cardboard targets.  Obviously, this won't be "force on force" training, but in lieu of taking cadets to the range to shoot ball ammo, this is a good substitution to give basic instruction and safety training in the use of firearms, specifically military firearms.  Plus, it exposes cadets to an aspect of the military, i.e. every military member gets hands-on weapons training.

Serving since 1987.