NHQ Uniform Committee

Started by LtCol White, November 14, 2007, 06:15:02 PM

LtCol White

OK folks, remembering that one of our mandates is to align the USAF Service Uniform with the Corporate Service Uniform, here are the products we have developed.

There are 2 options for each service coat. One uses the metal USAF style nameplate and the second uses the 3-line blue plastic CAP nameplate.
The advantage with the blue nameplate is that it would be the same on coat and shirt where as the metal would be on the coat and plastic on the shirt.

Blue rank epaulets with embroidered CAP would be used on all coats, shirts and outergarments from USAF and CSU. All metal rank would be removed from the CSU garments. Silver braid on the CSU coat would be replaced by standard USAF style blue braid. Silver chinstrap on CSU service cap would be replaced by standard USAF black leather strap.

By USAF decree, the Corporate Uniform must have the CAP cutouts. Only the USAF style Service Uniform is authorized for the US cutouts.

We intend to propose adopting the grooming standards from US Public Health Service to allow for the wear of neatly trimmed beard/goatee with regulation haircut for the CSU. Doing this would allow for the gray/white combination uniform to be eliminated. The Blazer combination uniform would be maintained for wear by those members who choose not to wear the USAF/Corporate Service Uniforms.

Choices for the ABU are:1. Sage Green background with white/full color insignia, 2. Navy blue with white/full color insignia and 3. Ultramarine Blue as currently worn.

ABU

USAF Style Service Uniform

Corporate Style Service Uniform

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RiverAux

I think that the plastic name tag on the service coat looks out of place and somewhat un-professional.  It just doesn't seem formal enough to me. 

jayleswo

Lt Col White,

Wow. I am very appreciative of all the hard work on these proposals. Some feedback on what I  read: The blue 3-line nameplate on the service jacket doesn't look so hot. I'd prefer to keep the brushed silver nameplate on the coats (with just last name on it). The 3-line blue nametag on the shirt is fine. Love the idea of going back to the blue epaulet slides with CAP on them - that's what we wore in the 80's and it looks sharp.

John Aylesworth, Lt Col
Commander PCR-CA-151
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

LtCol White

Quote from: RiverAux on December 02, 2007, 12:00:38 AM
I think that the plastic name tag on the service coat looks out of place and somewhat un-professional.  It just doesn't seem formal enough to me. 

Well its what we wore for years before the metal type and USAF did the same. Metal is being submitted as the first choice with the plastic as the backup. Its always better to give USAF 2 choices. This allows them to disapprove one but approve the other.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

jeders

I definitely prefer the metal over the plastic nametag on the coat simply because I think it looks nicer. Other than that, I think you guys have everything spot on as far as the uniforms go. Any finality on the ABU yet, or are you guys still working on that one?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

I don't think we wore any nametag on the service coat before the current metal one. 

LtCol White

Quote from: RiverAux on December 02, 2007, 12:44:18 AM
I don't think we wore any nametag on the service coat before the current metal one. 

We wore the blue plastic for MANY years prior to the McPeak coat. When this was adopted neither USAF or CAP wore one. Then the metal one was introduced that is worn today.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: LtCol White on December 02, 2007, 12:05:15 AM

Well its what we wore for years before the metal type and USAF did the same. Metal is being submitted as the first choice with the plastic as the backup. Its always better to give USAF 2 choices. This allows them to disapprove one but approve the other.

Or if the RealAirForce® should have kittens over the simple brushed silver nametag, why not adopt the current brushed silver nametag with 'CIVIL AIR PATROL' above the name as a third option?

In the olden days of the four-pocket service dress uniform, blue plastic nametags were the only thing available, whether one line USAF or three-line CAP. Lt Gen and up didn't have to wear a nametag.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LtCol White

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 02, 2007, 12:52:56 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on December 02, 2007, 12:05:15 AM

Or if the RealAirForce® should have kittens over the simple brushed silver nametag, why not adopt the current brushed silver nametag with 'CIVIL AIR PATROL' above the name as a third option?

In the olden days of the four-pocket service dress uniform, blue plastic nametags were the only thing available, whether one line USAF or three-line CAP. Lt Gen and up didn't have to wear a nametag.

The metal nametag will be submitted with that option as will the blue nametag as a 2-line as well but these photos give you and idea of how the choices will look regardless of the exact verbage on them.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: LtCol White on December 02, 2007, 12:55:50 AMThe metal nametag will be submitted with that option as will the blue nametag as a 2-line as well but these photos give you and idea of how the choices will look regardless of the exact verbage on them.

Danke, Herr Oberstleutnant!  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Nice work, amazing what can be done with a little time and effort.

Other than the lighting issues, I would prefer that the uniform manual be presented in a similar manner - no people, just mannequins.

And let's hope we get to keep the single-line metal nametag! Love the blue epaulets!

I have to say these are the most common-sense transitions I have seen in my 8 years in CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlyingTerp

Lt Col White,

Thank you for all your work on recommending revisions to our uniforms to present a consistant and professional image.   All the proposed changes look great and hopefully USAF will concur.

JohnKachenmeister

Great work, Sir!

As a suggestion, for the ABU... Sage green nametapes/rank badges would work best, especially if we can use the same embroidered rank insignia on the flight suit.  We would not have to confuse Vanguard by having to stock and ship 2 different background colors.
Another former CAP officer

sandman

Looking Sharp!

BTW, The grooming standards for USPHS officers no longer allow facial hair (except crumb broom of course) after 1 Jan 2008. Standards are the same as the US Navy.

v/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

CadetProgramGuy

Really like the ABU with Green nametapes, the AF Blues with Brushed Name Tag (Blue Epulates, Awesome!!)

LtCol White

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 02, 2007, 02:53:16 AM
Great work, Sir!

As a suggestion, for the ABU... Sage green nametapes/rank badges would work best, especially if we can use the same embroidered rank insignia on the flight suit.  We would not have to confuse Vanguard by having to stock and ship 2 different background colors.

Already have that written into the document on the ABU that the same cloth rank will also be used on the green flightsuit completely eliminating the plastic encased.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

AlphaSigOU

Don't forget there'll still be two different background colors for cloth insiginia - dark blue for the corporate flight suit, utilities and BBDUs; eventually, - if the RealAirForce buys off on it - we'll also have vivid sage green for the ABUs and green bags.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: sandman on December 02, 2007, 06:16:51 AM
Looking Sharp!

BTW, The grooming standards for USPHS officers no longer allow facial hair (except crumb broom of course) after 1 Jan 2008. Standards are the same as the US Navy.

v/r
LT

That's no crumb broom, that's a snotcatcher!  ;D

<-- proudly sporting an in-regs snotcatcher.

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ironputts

Sir,

I am for all the uniform options displayed here understanding the position of the Air Force. The look is professional and cognizant of both organizations. Of course, after all is said and done we ALL will have to invest several hundred dollars more in uniform changes. Will the cadets have to wear the new ABU also?
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ironputts on December 02, 2007, 02:14:20 PM
Sir,

I am for all the uniform options displayed here understanding the position of the Air Force. The look is professional and cognizant of both organizations. Of course, after all is said and done we ALL will have to invest several hundred dollars more in uniform changes. Will the cadets have to wear the new ABU also?

Both seniors and cadinks will wind up in ABUs, but not for a long time. Woodland BDU will still be around a little longer.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040