Whats up with the AFRCC web site?

Started by RiverAux, July 05, 2008, 12:20:10 AM

RiverAux

Ever since the AF started moving all their web pages to one format and the AFRCC made the change, their site has just stunk.  http://www.1af.acc.af.mil/units/afrcc/

There are half a dozen dead links and they haven't put up a new annual report in years.

And yes, I have tried several times to report this through the AF web page, but 1st AF public affairs doesn't seem to care. 

shorning

It's possible that their main site isn't available to the general public.  The Air Force is putting more and more of their sites on the Air Force Portal.

RiverAux

I would expect that is true, but you should properly maintain your public site as well. 

shorning

Even their PA guys have more to do than make a website available to the general public.  In the big scheme of things, that's not even on the list of priorities...

afgeo4

Don't forget that they also had to make the move from Langley AFB to Tyndall AFB. Move personnel, equipment, real estate and all operations.
GEORGE LURYE

PHall

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 05, 2008, 02:22:23 AM
Don't forget that they also had to make the move from Langley AFB to Tyndall AFB. Move personnel, equipment, real estate and all operations.

That was over a year ago.

But on their big list of priorities, maintaining the public website is probably pretty far down the list for the PA Shop.

This is one of those things that are usually done on a "time available" basis.

Maybe they could get a CAP VSAF person to do it!

RiverAux

Oh, I don't know...maintaining your public web site is a fairly high priority for any public affairs person in today's environment. 

Plus, its about the easiest task in the world is to run a function in your web site management software to check for dead linksl --- takes about 5 seconds.

I'm assuming that the AF is using something more sophisticated than my Front Page 2003 program which I do it with.  Run the program and either remove the links or tell the unit whose site it is to send you the correct current document or address. 

afgeo4

Quote from: RiverAux on July 05, 2008, 03:11:57 AM
Oh, I don't know...maintaining your public web site is a fairly high priority for any public affairs person in today's environment. 

Plus, its about the easiest task in the world is to run a function in your web site management software to check for dead linksl --- takes about 5 seconds.

I'm assuming that the AF is using something more sophisticated than my Front Page 2003 program which I do it with.  Run the program and either remove the links or tell the unit whose site it is to send you the correct current document or address. 

Do we even know if they have a PA on staff? They could be using the host Wing's PA people from the communications squadron. The AFRCC isn't a Wing. It's a rather small and very task-specific unit that has little contact with the civilian world (outside of SAR agencies). A public website is probably VERY low on their priority list.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

I assume they don't have a PA since if you use the contact us feature your only choice is a PA from 1st AF or AFNSEP. 

However, this isn't really an issue of not having public affairs persons.  It is a matter of the webmaster taking care of business and maintaining their site properly.  I doubt the AFRCC has their own webmaster, but I'm sure somewhere in 1AF is a full-time webmaster responsible for all this. 

However, AFRCC should be taking a look at their own site every now and again just to make sure things are running well.  It takes less than 2 minutes to manually check all the links on the AFRCC page and find all the broken ones.  Then another minute to send an email to the 1AF webmaster saying, "Get this fixed bud".

afgeo4

Quote from: RiverAux on July 05, 2008, 04:38:54 PM
I assume they don't have a PA since if you use the contact us feature your only choice is a PA from 1st AF or AFNSEP. 

However, this isn't really an issue of not having public affairs persons.  It is a matter of the webmaster taking care of business and maintaining their site properly.  I doubt the AFRCC has their own webmaster, but I'm sure somewhere in 1AF is a full-time webmaster responsible for all this. 

However, AFRCC should be taking a look at their own site every now and again just to make sure things are running well.  It takes less than 2 minutes to manually check all the links on the AFRCC page and find all the broken ones.  Then another minute to send an email to the 1AF webmaster saying, "Get this fixed bud".
However, since the 1st AF PA staff aren't under the command of AFRCC, it may take a miracle to get the site updated if the 1st AF PA staff don't put the AFRCC on the list as "high priority". After all, deployed and training units are the hot story.
GEORGE LURYE

lordmonar

No there is not...we mastering is an additional duty for the 3C types.  Even for the full time web masters (those guys who maintain several units web pages...they still have AEF duties and other things they have to do.

Quote from: RiverAux on July 05, 2008, 04:38:54 PMHowever, AFRCC should be taking a look at their own site every now and again just to make sure things are running well.  It takes less than 2 minutes to manually check all the links on the AFRCC page and find all the broken ones.  Then another minute to send an email to the 1AF webmaster saying, "Get this fixed bud".

If you say so. ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

afgeo4

Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2008, 08:09:35 PM

No there is not...we mastering is an additional duty for the 3C types.  Even for the full time web masters (those guys who maintain several units web pages...they still have AEF duties and other things they have to do.

Quote from: RiverAux on July 05, 2008, 04:38:54 PMHowever, AFRCC should be taking a look at their own site every now and again just to make sure things are running well.  It takes less than 2 minutes to manually check all the links on the AFRCC page and find all the broken ones.  Then another minute to send an email to the 1AF webmaster saying, "Get this fixed bud".

If you say so. ;D
So could this be a good VSAF assignment in Panama City, FL?
GEORGE LURYE

PHall

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 07, 2008, 08:30:10 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2008, 08:09:35 PM

If you say so. ;D
So could this be a good VSAF assignment in Panama City, FL?

If that base is participating in the program. There's only a couple of bases participating in the VSAF Program.

SAR-EMT1

I think having a CAP type at AFRCC would be a great idea. Web mastering would be a nice job to have, but I think he or she ought to be more involved in the ELT missions as well.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

KyCAP

With VPN and WebEX and a CAC Card (nevermind), I could be webmaster from my couch.. >:D
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

SAR-EMT1

So.... Russ... How much work do you do from your couch. >:D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student