Printed material vs. PDFs

Started by Walkman, November 03, 2007, 07:15:28 AM

Walkman

It's convenient to download PDFs, but are printed copies available? I don't mind reading stuff on the computer, but when I want to study something, I'd like to be able to highlgiht, make notes in the margins, etc.

I'm going to be starting aircrew training shortly and would like to get a physical copy to study. I don't have access to a laser printer, either.

SarDragon

Kinko's or similar. Distribution of most forms and regs was halted when they became available online. Certain items that print on 11" x 17" stock remain available in print form.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pixelwonk

floridacyclist

We have a good deal going with a local printer. For $0.025/printed side they do B/W copies, and for an additional $1.00 they will coil-bind them. For our ICS class, our 100/200/700 combined textbooks and ICS300 textbooks were less than $10.00 ea
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

JAFO78

Quote from: tedda on November 03, 2007, 08:36:06 AM
And there's these...

Order books from Vanguard? you may as well as copy everything by hand it would take just as long.
JAFO

IceNine

Best option from personal experience is to send them to kinkos, it is really convenient now you can just download a program that acts like an extra printer on your comp and it will print to the store of your choosing.

Of course you're looking at a few bucks but if you are like me its worth a few dollars to have the stuff in your hands
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

mikeylikey

make sure you download the newest version of adobe pdf.....there is a real neat button on the task bar that allows you to send the material right to your local Kinkos.  It is WAY CHEAPER than making copies yourself and beats the Vanguard prices.

Other than that, the unit (from what I understood) was to keep a paper copy of all regs and forms at the unit??  Anyone heard that before??

What's up monkeys?

arajca

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 03, 2007, 05:33:53 PM
Other than that, the unit (from what I understood) was to keep a paper copy of all regs and forms at the unit??  Anyone heard that before??
Yes, unless the unit designates a different source as their "official" reg set. A simple OI handles this.

mikeylikey

^  True.....forgot about that.  Remember when NHQ would send you regs in a binder when you joined as a SM, or received the Mitchell as a cadet?
What's up monkeys?

thp

PDFs are nice, but printing them yourself is a pain.

a2capt

Quote from: RobG on November 03, 2007, 12:18:34 PM
Quote from: tedda on November 03, 2007, 08:36:06 AM
And there's these...

Order books from Vanguard? you may as well as copy everything by hand it would take just as long.

* a2capt tries very hard to get up off the floor and stop laughing.

But seriously, recently at the CAWG conference, all the books Vanguard brought were gone by the time they packed up and left.

CAPMart sold those things for less than that, I think- but still, for $6.50 you can't make that at Kinko'$

Good thick staples. I hate to write in the thing, but then again, you can use it as personal training record. It just blows to make copies out of it.

RogueLeader

Quote from: arajca on November 03, 2007, 05:46:55 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on November 03, 2007, 05:33:53 PM
Yes, unless the unit designates a different source as their "official" reg set. A simple OI handles this.

We keep all pf our regs are kept electronically.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340