Oh Please. Someones just full of themselves now...

Started by Major_Chuck, December 26, 2006, 08:04:19 PM

Major_Chuck

News of the Force cyber-attacked
    News of the Force has been down for the last couple of days.  Late Saturday afternoon, a vicious spyware attack was launched against our systems,  The attack was intercepted by our protective systems, but did cause some damage to our Windows operating systems.  Our Windows system had to be re-installed, but in the meantime some of our programs -- including our pictures -- were lost.
    This appears to have been an obvious attempt to invade our computers in order to determine our information sources, but it didn't quite work out for whoever launched the cyber-attack. Information e-mailed to us is printed and immediately deleted from our systems to prevent such unlawful invasions.
    Please bear with us as we repair our systems. For the next week, our issues will be intermittent, or you may receive no issue at all as we spend a lot of time and money to repair our systems.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our readers.

Oh please....it's a Yahoo Group. 
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

BillB

Obviously it was not a CAP Squadron member that hacked into NOTF web site. Most can't even keep their own squadron web sites up to date.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

yeah, no regular people ever have problems with spyware or viruses....

Hawk200

Quote from: BillB on December 26, 2006, 08:15:10 PM
Obviously it was not a CAP Squadron member that hacked into NOTF web site. Most can't even keep their own squadron web sites up to date.

No kidding. There's one in Hawaii, I think, that has had the same webpage for 6 years or so.

Pumbaa

Interesting...  his RSS feed/group is yahoo....  So was it the yahoo servers that were hacked?

Or if I have this one fig'rd out .. he DL'd some spyware on his home 'puter and hosed it?

Oh yeah.. this is why backups are so important.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Major_Chuck

I'm glad that Black Van from Maxwell left my neighborhood and cruised down to Tampa Florida now!

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

sandman

I seen the antenna array on one of those vans (I know people), reminded me of commando solo ;D

(and you wonder where that million or so in CAP money from AF really goes...)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on December 26, 2006, 08:04:19 PM
News of the Force cyber-attacked
    News of the Force has been down for the last couple of days.  Late Saturday afternoon, a vicious spyware attack was launched against our systems,  The attack was intercepted by our protective systems, but did cause some damage to our Windows operating systems.  Our Windows system had to be re-installed, but in the meantime some of our programs -- including our pictures -- were lost.
    This appears to have been an obvious attempt to invade our computers in order to determine our information sources, but it didn't quite work out for whoever launched the cyber-attack. Information e-mailed to us is printed and immediately deleted from our systems to prevent such unlawful invasions.
    Please bear with us as we repair our systems. For the next week, our issues will be intermittent, or you may receive no issue at all as we spend a lot of time and money to repair our systems.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our readers.

Oh please....it's a Yahoo Group. 

He posts NOTF  to a Yahoo! group, but he has an AOL email and a separate website, any or all of which could have been affected.

Spyware attacks happen all the time, this one just happened to get past the software.  It isn't like he's accusing NHQ of a cyberattack.

Johnny Y.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

mikeylikey

Nice try NHQ your cyber attack did not work.  Better fire some more staffers, change a few uniform items, regroup and attack again!
What's up monkeys?

pixelwonk

Quote from: Skews of the Force
Skews of the Force cyber-attacked
    Skews of the Force has been down for the last couple of days.  Late Saturday afternoon, a vicious spyware attack was launched against our systems,  The attack was intercepted by our protective systems, but did cause some damage to our Windows operating systems.  Our Windows system had to be re-installed, but in the meantime some of our programs -- including our pictures -- were lost.

Twas merely an ancillary test of our Weapons Systems...  I like to hear the "OOOOooooooooommmmmmm" sound before the green laser thingie comes out.
And now for Munger's Rebel base on Yavin 4.

Oh wait... it's not that Force.
[darn]!

Major_Chuck

Cobra Commander will not be thwarted NOTF!

:: Evil laugh ensues :: >:D >:D >:D
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Becks

Quote from: tedda on December 29, 2006, 04:34:29 PM

Skews of the Force has been down for the last couple of days.  Late Saturday afternoon, a vicious spyware attack was launched against our systems,  The attack was intercepted by our protective systems, but did cause some damage to our Windows operating systems.  Our Windows system had to be re-installed, but in the meantime some of our programs -- including our pictures -- were lost.

Twas merely an ancillary test of our Weapons Systems...  I like to hear the "OOOOooooooooommmmmmm" sound before the green laser thingie comes out.

[darn]!

"Sir its the rebels.....theyre here.   And they've brought a flag"

BBATW

Psicorp

Quote from: tedda on December 29, 2006, 04:34:29 PM

[darn]!

*snicker*  The SW quote that's been going though my mind ever since the whole Mr Munger/Mr Hayden thing broke has been (can you picture the PAO saying this?),  "I'm afraid the defense shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Major Carrales

Analysis time...

Someone has said that NOTF is not Civil Air Patrol exclusive, but covers a multitude of Military stories.

Let us put it to SPARKY's analyzer...

This is taken from the frompage of NOTF on 30 DEC 2006...

NEWS OF THE FORCE is a FREE email newsletter sent to your email address every morning. It contains news about or related to the military services of the United States and their auxiliary forces, including the Civil Air Patrol and the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary. Also included is news of the military reserves and the Army and Air National Guard, and world military news. We also include stories about police and stories
of rescues.

Now, line by line...

QuoteNEWS OF THE FORCE is a FREE email newsletter sent to your email address every morning.

I see no problem with this concept.  Texas Wing distributes its news and information in a similar fashion as do hundreds of other sources for news and the like.

QuoteIt contains news about or related to the military services of the United States and their auxiliary forces,

Again, nothing out of kilter here.  However, those that point out that NOTF has a focus on US Military might wonder why this phrase includes the REGUALR Military and mention its "auxiliaries" in the same sentence.  Since...

1) Most people hardly know about CAP and USCGAux...

2) Only two Branches of "military services of the United States" even have a civilian auxiliary.

Once can honestly assume, then, that the target audience of NOTF are members of these auxiliaries that also have an interest in US Military matters.  Placing the US Military before the auxiliaries in the sentence serves to attract these members mentioned above.

Quoteincluding the Civil Air Patrol and the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.

This phrase also supports the above contention, en re the target audience.  That Civil Air Patrol would be mentioned here, and first, might suggest that NOTF has a focus on Civil Air Patrol.  Especailly since...

QuoteAlso included is news of the military reserves and the Army and Air National Guard, and world military news. We also include stories about police and stories of rescues.

...it comes before the Guard and Reserve elements.  This would suggest, speculative, that NOTF concentrates on CAP and Auxie news.

I will draw no conclusions from this analysis aside from the fact that this mission statement suggests that NOTF is designed to be a WATCH DOG of CAP.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Psicorp

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 30, 2006, 07:13:22 AM
I will draw no conclusions from this analysis aside from the fact that this mission statement suggests that NOTF is designed to be a WATCH DOG of CAP.

I think it might be more accurate to say that being a "watch dog of CAP" is a desirable side-effect of "reporting" the news the Armed Forces and their auxiliaries.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

lordmonar

Another nice indicator of NOTF's bias....all of it's postings of military news are stolen with little or no attribution to their original source....very bad journalism. 
NOTF does not produce original articles about the "real" military.

It does however produce original articles about CAP and they are almost to always critical of CAP, particularly the National Commander.

That is called bias.

It does not mean they are inaccurate...only that anyone reading NOTF needs to have their BS filters on full to be able to sift the facts from the innuendo and speculation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Anyone interested in following news of CAP would do better to set up a Google or Yahoo news alert for "Civil Air Patrol" and read CAP News Online regularly.  You will get the same stories as NOTF uses without the other junk. 

ZigZag911

Quote*snicker*  The SW quote that's been going though my mind ever since the whole Mr Munger/Mr Hayden thing broke has been (can you picture the PAO saying this?),  "I'm afraid the defense shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."

How about Return of the Jedi when the Emperor gloats about the rebel fleet facing his "fully operational DeathStar!!"

Quote tags - MIKE

DNall

Quote from: BillB on December 26, 2006, 08:15:10 PM
;D

He puts up a bunch of stories he gets from other sources, but the original content is not at all unbiased.