Great News! The 2015 Cadet Encampment Assistance Program

Started by Ned, May 12, 2015, 06:14:45 PM

Ned

We are very pleased to announce that our Air Force colleagues have provided a significant amount of special funding to help cover encampment fees, transportation, uniforms, and other costs associated with encampment with an emphasis on serving financially disadvantaged cadets attending their first encampment in 2015.

But time is short!    Encampment season is already upon us.

Cadets, parents, and seniors supporting the cadet program are urged to visit the CEAP Page on the NHQ site for details.  Then eligible cadets should apply via the CEAP module in e-Services, with an answer due within a week.

Please do everything in your power to get the word out to cadets and parents.  Spread the word via social media, email lists, phone trees, and carrier pigeon!

The amount of support is substantial.  Depending on the popularity of the program, almost the entire cost of the encampment (including transportation and perhaps even a uniform) may be covered. 

Hey, you don't have to believe me, here's a memo from Gen Vasquez giving the command perspective on the program.

Please, help us get the word out.  We don't want to leave money on the table that could have been spent getting a first time cadet to encampment.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Programs Manager

[edit - spelling]

CAPDCCMOM

Where is the CAPF to requisition the carrier pigeon, I am concerned about the EPA, PETA, and the Girl Scouts protesting my use of Pigeon. And do I ned an ORM for Pigeon borne Bird Flu Safety.

Now to be serious, THANK YOU for this program. I am trying to get the word out. ;D

AirAux

Ned, I am seriously worried about the time frame.  If the cadets have to order name tapes, uniforms, etc from Vanguard, will there be enough time to get it done?  Are the forms overly complicated or intrusive into family funding?  Thanks

CAPDCCMOM

^ If I read it correctly, can't it also be a reimbursement? If so, then items already purchased and ordered will be covered. Correct?

Tim Day

Quote from: AirAux on May 12, 2015, 07:43:05 PM
Ned, I am seriously worried about the time frame.  If the cadets have to order name tapes, uniforms, etc from Vanguard, will there be enough time to get it done?  Are the forms overly complicated or intrusive into family funding?  Thanks

There are no forms, AirAux. All Cadets who have not attended encampment, Encampment Commanders, and Directors of Cadet Programs have received an email with instructions. Cadets apply through e-services with their parents and, on their honor, state their need category. Squadron Commanders endorse the application. Funds for tuition are sent to the encampment and Vanguard vouchers for uniforms are emailed to the Cadet.

You're right about nametapes - time is short. Reimbursement is only for tuition, not purchased uniform items.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

FW

This is welcome news for many.  I hope it is taken advantage of by all who are in need!

AirAux

I hope there is enough to go around.  There is nothing worse than getting a cadets hopes up and then dashing them at the last minute.. It would be nice if this would turn out to be something we could count on each summer. 

jeders

When I saw the email on this, I was blown away. This is truly a great thing that CAP is doing. But I do have some serious questions for you Ned. Is this just a one-time deal, or are we going to be able to count on this in the future; or is this a pilot program to see if it's worth doing every year? If the funding doesn't get used up for summer encampments, will it be available for winter encampments? If this does continue as a yearly item, will the funding be released earlier in the year to help with spring encampments?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AirAux

If one applies for the encampment assistance enrollment fees and not the uniform assistance fees, can they subsequesntly apply for the uniform fees if they are awarded the encampment enrolment fees, or do both have to be sent in at the same time?? 

Ned

Quote from: jeders on May 13, 2015, 01:24:19 PM
But I do have some serious questions for you Ned. Is this just a one-time deal, or are we going to be able to count on this in the future;

At this point there are no guarantees that this discretionary AF funding will be renewed.  We hope to be able to show our colleagues that encampment attendance measurably increases retention and that we were able to direct the funds to cadets with financial needs.

QuoteIf the funding doesn't get used up for summer encampments, will it be available for winter encampments?

Our immediate goal is to ensure the money is spent as directed by the donor  -- on summer encampments.  If money is left on the table, we will of course ask that it roll over to the winter encampment cycle.  But there are no promises, and the reality is that the winter cycle is in a different AF fiscal year suggesting that it may be difficult to make that happen out of this particular allocation.

If this does continue as a yearly item, will the funding be released earlier in the year to help with spring encampments?

That obviously would be our preference - cover all encampments with substantial funding, allow sufficient planning and implementation time, and some predictability for the out years.  But even if none of that occurs, this is still an outstanding opportunity and we are very, very grateful for even a one-time allocation.

Our immediate challenge is to be good guardians of the taxpayers' dollars and spend the money as wisely and carefully as we can.

CAPDCCMOM

Ned,

I have several parents already applying for this program. What is the turn around?

Thanks

Ned

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on May 13, 2015, 04:29:58 PM
Ned,

I have several parents already applying for this program. What is the turn around?

Thanks

Our service goal is one week.

sarmed1

The PAWG DCP this weekend at the NER/PA conf had a lot of good information on this.
The biggest thing sounded like its pretty much first come first served, and dont let the money go unused,

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Ned

Wow, the word is certainly out.

As of Tuesday, over 700 cadets have applied for assistance, of which over 500 are already approved!  (The others are pending approvals)

This means we have obligated over 75% of the USAF funding, roughly $400k at this point.

But there is still a significant amount of money on the table, simply waiting for cadets to apply.

So continue to spread the word! This is such a terrific opportunity for our cadets.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Programs Manager

lordmonar

???

We are giving them $800 each?

That can't be right.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jdh

After doing some quick math, if you were to send an Airman Basic male cadet to encampment with one set of BDUs and one set of Class B uniforms it doesnt take long for it to add up. Just those two uniforms (not counting tax or shipping) are $320, then you add in cost of encampment which for TXWG is approx $150 for a basic cadet, followed by other gear that's needed on the packing list and then transportation costs.

Tim Day

Quote from: jdh on May 22, 2015, 01:56:39 AM
cost of encampment which for TXWG is approx $150 for a basic cadet, followed by other gear that's needed on the packing list and then transportation costs.

There's no such thing as a basic cadet anymore. They are students.

It's my understanding that CEAP doesn't reimburse the cost of encampment, it reimburses at the federal M&IE per diem rate plus the cost of lodging. VAWG Encampment costs the student $175; the M&IE rate for our location is $42 per day or so. Travel days count as 3/4 of a day. 7.5 days x $42 = $315. Our lodging costs about $2.38 per student so that's another $16.66 each for a total (unless my math or assumptions are wrong) of $332 per assisted student.

Additionally, since there is funding available for travel and safety vests, there may not be a 1:1 correlation of how much funding the AF has spent.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

stitchmom

Quote from: AirAux on May 12, 2015, 07:43:05 PM

I applied for this and seriously I had tears in my eyes when I was done because it was so not complicated.

I was expecting the usual Exercise In How Well A Tired Parent Can Manage Red Tape you know spending your last $12  faxing, copying, and then the days of frustration, headaches, and wasted phone minutes Trying To Prove You Did Turn Something In to get nowhere.

xray328

We applied around the third week of May.  I emailed HQ and was told that we would most likely not be getting any assistance because a majority of the money had already been used for priority 1 requests. Not sure when the final deision will be made, but we're running out of time.

Wing requires 3 sets of BDU's.  We have two kids that just started out and have no BDU's at all.  We figured the BDU requirement was going to be over $600 alone (before sewing everything on), not to mention the usual misc expenses...7 pairs of boot socks (14 for two cadets) , 8 t-shirts (again 16 for 2), etc.  It's been a struggle for sure.  We ended up going to Army/Navy Surplus stores while on vacation and did our best to get 6 decent looking/matching sets (only partially successful).  We figured uniform items, just for the BDU's (after tapes/patches/socks/shirts/hat/belt/boots) is going to be over $800 had we bought new.  That's not including anything for the blues (waiting for Curry voucher).  Encampment fees were $270 for both kids.  So were looking at well over $1000 to send the kids.

Local unit has been doing their best to help, it's just a lot for a new cadet.