Promoting

Started by Cadetter, June 02, 2014, 06:54:50 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: skywise123 on June 17, 2014, 11:51:07 AMI've considered switching to another unit but I'd rather not.

The standards won't be any different at another squadron, though admittedly CAP has an ongoing issues with the
consistency of application of the program for both adults and cadets.

The first thing any good commander is going to ask you when you discuss a transfer is "Why?", followed up
by a conversation with your current CC,  and if the only legit reason is because your son is struggling with PT
a transfer should be out of the question.

We're not supposed to encourage members to "shop units" to find lower standards when they can't meet the minimums.

Your best bet is to discuss a CAT II situation in the near term, while continuing to work on his progress.  If you wind
up having a CAT II restriction approved, then there's no point in working on the current achievement level, you
need to start pressing towards the PT requirements of the next milestone.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

If a cadet has an issue, it IS possible (say for obesity) to put a cadet in Cat II, have him work on his PT, but allow him to promote without passing. Some will view it as "letting someone slide", but the other side of the coin is letting this cadet participate without discouragement. Of course at some point less than 6 months in, there better be some sort of progress.

a2capt

...which is why Cat II is good for non-milestones only, at the unit level. Requires a professional, external diagnosis to move past the milestone.

lordmonar

Personally......I would make the following changes to PT.

Keep the Mitchel standards as is.

At curry the standard to to take the test and establish a base line.

For each promotion from there on....the cadet must show improvement in each category or meet the Mitchell standard.

So  Cadet can only do one push up for Curry....he needs to do at least 2 for Arnold.  If he did 10 for Curry he must do 11 for Arnold.

Past Mitchell we leave the standard at the Mitchell level.

YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 18, 2014, 06:41:54 PM
Past Mitchell we leave the standard at the Mitchell level.

An interesting idea, because at least the ability to maintain that standard will be important going forward.

The expectations into Phase IV get pretty aggressive, and I've seen Spaatz cadets miss because of
a single point of PT - cadets who are otherwise considered >very< fit, but just can't get to the mile time.

In one case I know of personally, the cadet was a marathoner, he could run at his pace forever, but
could not get into the mindset for the mile time.

"That Others May Zoom"