Promoting

Started by Cadetter, June 02, 2014, 06:54:50 PM

Cadetter

Hello,

What are effective ways that you/your squadron use/uses to motivate Cadets to promote?

Thanks,
Cadetter
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

MIKE

Assign cadets to phase and grade appropriate roles, with like expectations on performance.
Mike Johnston

Cadetter

Thanks, but already doing that (well... with the exception of C/CC), but what when there's no sergeants but lots of airmen? Trying to figure how to motivate the airmen to promote.
Earhart Award, 2018

Huey Driver

Check this document out, made by one of my CAC Reps.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Cadetter

Quote from: JerseyCadet on June 02, 2014, 07:37:08 PM

Thank you, sir. We have similar to Cadet of the Quarter, and a form of CGS should help basics promote. Where in 52-15 are the referenced SMART goals? (I did look, briefly.) One problem we have is that some cadet staff positions rotate every cadet change of command, and the others are only available upon the holder's promotion (i.e. first shirt gets Mitchell).
Earhart Award, 2018

Huey Driver

Quote from: Cadetter on June 02, 2014, 07:52:02 PM
Quote from: JerseyCadet on June 02, 2014, 07:37:08 PM

Where in 52-15 are the referenced SMART goals? (I did look, briefly.)

CAPP 52-15, Section 2.3, on page 12.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

wacapgh

Quote from: Cadetter on June 02, 2014, 07:11:39 PM
Thanks, but already doing that (well... with the exception of C/CC), but what when there's no sergeants but lots of airmen? Trying to figure how to motivate the airmen to promote.

It will help if we know a bit more about the cadets in your squadron -
Do you have any Cadet Officers? If yes, how many and what are their grades?

As MIKE said, matching up grade = positions/responsibilities is a good motivator.

If you have a C/SrA acting as Flight Sergeant, then you have removed a big part of the incentive to get that Wright Brothers milestone. The airman has the "privileges" of being a sergeant without having to work for the promotion.

Check out CAPP 52-15

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_015_21F7ACED34F45.pdf

Appendix 2 has some great examples of how to work setting up your chain of command.

Cadetter

Element leaders: Airmen
Both the first shirt and flight sergeant are C/SNCOs, but the first sergeant is getting the Mitchell soon.
FC, CC, and DC are phase III.

For active C/Officers other than FC, CC, and DC:
One phase IV cadet, a previous C/CC

Edited to add: There's an additional SNCO who will be getting their Mitchell soon
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

Forgot to add - we may soon have a C/SrA flight sergeant, once the Mitchells are awarded. This SrA is working on the Wright Brothers, so hopefully we won't.

The majority of our airmen haven't promoted in a while, which is why I'm asking for ways to motivate them.
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

Another reason our staff is anxious for the airmen to promote - staff's promotions depend on it.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 03, 2014, 10:13:04 PM
The majority of our airmen haven't promoted in a while, which is why I'm asking for ways to motivate them.

You might also remind them that if they enjoy CAP, they need to promote, because if they don't, they may find themselves
with more free time.

Summer vacation is an especially dangerous time for cadets who haven't promoted in the previous months.
A lot of squadrons all but shut down for the summer (huge mistake), and a lot of families go away for extended periods
of time, which can further demotivate a lagging cadet.  Before you know it, a year has passed on those mosquito wings and they either quit or
have the "conversation" with the CC and are terminated.

One thing that is nearly universal, cadet do the "Spaatz Math" the day they get their first promotion, and
anything that even hints at changing that equation can be enough to get them thinking about quitting.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2014, 11:18:09 PM

You might also remind them that if they enjoy CAP, they need to promote, because if they don't, they may find themselves
with more free time.

A lot of squadrons all but shut down for the summer (huge mistake), and a lot of families go away for extended periods
of time, which can further demotivate a lagging cadet.  Before you know it, a year has passed on those mosquito wings and they either quit or
have the "conversation" with the CC and are terminated.

Well, our squadron commander has been having us urge those on the 120 days' list. I frankly do not think 2b'ing them for not promoting when they otherwise are active is a good idea. Our squadron ain't shutting down, no worries there.

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2014, 11:18:09 PM

One thing that is nearly universal, cadet do the "Spaatz Math" the day they get their first promotion, and
anything that even hints at changing that equation can be enough to get them thinking about quitting.

Haha, well I did the Spaatz Math too... having a promotion or two held changed the equation =P

Some people have told me to use what motivation techniques work on me, which doesn't work well.
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 04, 2014, 11:32:53 PMI frankly do not think 2b'ing them for not promoting when they otherwise are active is a good idea.

"Otherwise Active" is the problem.  Regular promotion prepares them to accept the challenges and responsibilities of grade-appropriate
roles in the unit.  Allow the non-progression to linger too long and you wind up with a cadre or older cadets who
may be overwhelming the leadership simply by age or experience, while not be qualified to do so.

As they get older they should also be locking to participate in outside activities, and cadets who don't progress will
find themselves at a disadvantage there as well.

It's all part of the same games, and CAP is not a rec center, everyone there, end-to-end, is there for a purpose.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

Well, I have a hard time telling cadets they must promote or be 2b'd when they're busy with school. I agree that cadets should promote regularly. Many of our cadets came in last year, got their first stripe within a month, and haven't promoted since. Also, our squadron only recently began having leadership expectations for promotions, so despite the grade of XYZ, a cadet isn't necessarily prepared for a grade-appropriate role.

There are, like with most squadrons, the categories of cadets who come. The main ones I pick out are:

-Cadets who are dedicated to CAP, i.e. attend meetings, participate in activities when possible, actively work on promoting, etc. Most of these cadets are on staff.

-Cadets who would be the same as above if other extracurricular activities didn't get in the way

-Cadets who come for the friends.

-Cadets who joined for the fun of promoting. (Only two of these)

-Cadets who joined because Mom said so.

-Others, assorted - not meant to make the cadets sound like veggies =P
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

School always comes first, that's a given, but 1-2 promotions a year, at a minimum, is not
an unreasonable expectation for the average cadet.  Much of this is won or lost in the expectations.
I've routinely dealt with cadets and parents who say "CAP is too hard."  or "You expect too much.",
but these same cadets are involved in sports or other organizations which have little tolerance for
missed practices, or other hard-fast baseline expectations.

If promotion is viewed as "optional", that's how it will be treated.  If it is viewed as an expectation of
membership, then there will not be any surprise when the "conversations" happen.

The other problem is that this attitude is not universal, and is especially a problem at large activities
which are desperate for staff.  As an encampment commander I would never even consider a cadet
for staff positions, especially the Exe jobs, if they aren't progressing at a reasonable rate, but
many activity POCs dont' even ask the question, let alone care, thus propagating the problem.

With that said, that assumes there are regular testing opportunities, the unit is doing PT as a matter
of the regular schedule, etc., etc.

If you have a non-progressing cadet spending meeting time on drilling, or an AE lecture, or even ES training, who isn't taking
their online tests, have them sit down in front of a PC and take their next test instead - they probably
know more then they think.  Same goes for PT - you can't win if you don't play.

The further out from the last promotion a cadet is, the more emphasis should be placed on testing and
the less on everything else.

Yes, things get harder as you move up, but for the most part, the average cadet who is keeping up with
an averagely active squadron should not have much issue passing the tests, and if they are, that's a command
failure.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

CAP is too hard on some parents, who are otherwise busy and even have a difficult time taking their cadet to weekly meetings.

Promoting isn't optional. I don't like saying up or out, though. Some cadets decide they are to immature for promotion, and hence do not promote.

Most of our cadets have regular access to computers. The three who don't are the most active promoters. Our unit offers drill tests every week except PT.

Well, my wing cadet summer encampment commander hasn't promoted in a year or two. Then again, he's staffed 10 encampments, gone on IACE more than once (I think), and is the only person qualified.

As for not passing tests - Our cadets have particular trouble passing Curry, and some with the Wright Brothers. Another has trouble with Aerospace module 5.

(Edited to remove sarcasm.)
Earhart Award, 2018

SamFranklin

I think the cadet (?) who started this thread asked the right question. How do you motivate cadets to work hard for promotion?

Behavioral scientists would tell you that positive reenforcement is the most effective method, especially in a youth activity that offers young people so many awesome opportunities. For this reason I oppose
commanders having the prerogative to terminate cadets' memberships. That serves no one.

Bob said CAP is not a Rec Center, CAP is more purposeful than that. I suppose I agree with the sentiment, but not the presumed (?) conclusion that an "up or out" policy is warranted. With kids, who are by nature uncertain about their interests, some are apt to wax and wane in their CAP participation. To the stagnant cadet, I say, get with it bud, you're missing out, we'll help you succeed. The stagnant cadet won't hold a cool job, but I certainly won't push him out of CAP; I want to bring him further into CAP. 

It blows my mind to hear that so many units 2b cadets for absenteeism or failure to progress. That's something like malpractice for a youth serving organization.

Cadetter

Quote from: SamFranklin on June 05, 2014, 01:11:32 AM
I think the cadet (?) who started this thread asked the right question. How do you motivate cadets to work hard for promotion?

Behavioral scientists would tell you that positive reenforcement is the most effective method, especially in a youth activity that offers young people so many awesome opportunities. For this reason I oppose
commanders having the prerogative to terminate cadets' memberships. That serves no one.

Well, it is good for commanders to have the prerogative, but it should be rarely used. JMNSHO

Quote from: SamFranklin on June 05, 2014, 01:11:32 AM
Bob said CAP is not a Rec Center, CAP is more purposeful than that. I suppose I agree with the sentiment, but not the presumed (?) conclusion that an "up or out" policy is warranted. With kids, who are by nature uncertain about their interests, some are apt to wax and wane in their CAP participation. To the stagnant cadet, I say, get with it bud, you're missing out, we'll help you succeed. The stagnant cadet won't hold a cool job, but I certainly won't push him out of CAP; I want to bring him further into CAP. 

It blows my mind to hear that so many units 2b cadets for absenteeism or failure to progress. That's something like malpractice for a youth serving organization.

Yes, presumed. I pretty much say that to stagnant cadets too. This year's cadets are hard to motivate for some reason, though.

I work hard for promotion because I enjoy challenges. The tests aren't terribly challenging for me yet, but the "leadership lab" is.

I'm not asking for ways to threaten (not the best word here, granted) cadets to promote. Whether I like it or not, that base is covered. I'm looking for ways to teach self motivation. (Note: some of our cadets might consider getting their Mitchell for advanced AF grade. These cadets have 7 years or so left in the program, so they're not in a hurry.)
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Quote from: SamFranklin on June 05, 2014, 01:11:32 AMIt blows my mind to hear that so many units 2b cadets for absenteeism or failure to progress. That's something like malpractice for a youth serving organization.

It's a core component of the program, not to mention part of the Cadet Oath.

Leeway for school and life is always acceptable, as is flexibility of circumstance, but if you're clocking
into your second or third year with no progression, and yet you expect to have a voice or leadership
role in the unit, it's time for the "conversation".

That sets the exact opposite message CAP is expecting Unit CC's to promote (pun intended).

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 01:31:07 AMThese cadets have 7 years or so left in the program, so they're not in a hurry.)

Those 7 years FLY by, (just last week I joined CAP 15 years ago) but really, most have about 3-4, maybe 5 before their Spaatz clock runs out and they
use that to just disengage.

The same thing happens to Boy Scouts with Eagle.  As soon as Eagle is not attainable, many use that as the excuse.

We need to be pushing them, not allowing them the benefit of excuses.   They will thank you later.

"That Others May Zoom"