Cadets in college

Started by cadetesman, August 23, 2012, 03:57:05 AM

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on August 26, 2012, 06:04:11 PM
^ For the same reason you do not mix "adults" and cadets in the same cadres.

Anyone who has completed basic training, or who is in the military on AD is no longer a cadet in the sense that CAP defines
it, they have moved on to a different level of life, experienced much more of the real world, and should not be considered a
a peer to a "normal" CAP cadet.

Would you make the same argument for an over-18 Cadet who's completed their first or second year in an ROTC program?

Eclipse

Quote from: 68w10 on August 26, 2012, 06:47:50 PM
Would you make the same argument for an over-18 Cadet who's completed their first or second year in an ROTC program?

No, and neither does CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

So why does that rule exsist anyways?

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on August 26, 2012, 06:09:53 PM
It's called "reading the regs", "following the regs", and "not avoiding uncomfortable conversations".

In this case, you'd be arguing with clear regs as to when a member becomes ineligible for cadet status.
A regulation which is many times misguidedly ignored.

OK...one more.

I am not "avoiding uncomfortable conversations." I am choosing my battles a little more carefully. Or are you saying avoiding uncomfortable conversations in the sense of the conversation between a cc and the cadet?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

arajca

Quote from: 68w10 on August 26, 2012, 06:44:41 PM
It's called "reading the regs", "following the regs", and "not avoiding uncomfortable conversations".

In this case, you'd be arguing with clear regs as to when a member becomes ineligible for cadet status.

But the regs make it clear that Guardsmen/Reservists are exempt from the Active Duty rule.
Unless they're on extended active duty, i.e called and sent overseas for six months.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 26, 2012, 07:06:03 PMOr are you saying avoiding uncomfortable conversations in the sense of the conversation between a cc and the cadet?

Correct. I'd say 1/3 of CAP's issues locally are fully-aware commanders who choose to ignore issues they are required to act on because
the conversation would be "uncomfortable" - whether that's uniforms worn inappropriately, cadets on active duty who are allowed to remain
cadets, or any of the other myriad issues which are seemingly clearly prescribed yet we can't seem to get past.

Those local problems are then exported to larger-scale activities, ES, etc. 

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

Quote from: arajca on August 26, 2012, 07:12:00 PM
Quote from: 68w10 on August 26, 2012, 06:44:41 PM

But the regs make it clear that Guardsmen/Reservists are exempt from the Active Duty rule.
Unless they're on extended active duty, i.e called and sent overseas for six months.

You're absolutely correct; however Guardsmen/Reservists who have only completed IET are still exempt from the rule.

Майор Хаткевич

Right. At issue here is a cadet who is in the guard claiming to be active military and being aware of many others like him.

As I said earlier, either he is misusing his status and calling it active duty, or he should not be a cadet. Clear cut, and we have regulations that outline this.

cadetesman

Why anyone in the military would want to be a cadet befuddles me...

I mean, you're in the actual military, why would you want to be in CAP as a cadet, I mean, really...

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: cadetesman on August 26, 2012, 08:05:45 PM
Why anyone in the military would want to be a cadet befuddles me...

I mean, you're in the actual military, why would you want to be in CAP as a cadet, I mean, really...
'Cause being a cadet is a lot of fun.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: cadetesman on August 26, 2012, 08:05:45 PMI mean, you're in the actual military, why would you want to be in CAP as a cadet, I mean, really...

There are a number of opportunities and benefits that CAP affords to its cadets, especially older ones, that you would not get by simply "being in the military".

That's why cadet status is a privilege.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rodriguez

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 26, 2012, 03:05:20 PM
That cites AD military, but reserve/guard components aren't bothered by that. Cadets can be concurrent Reserve/Guard military members and CAP cadets at once.

Which I think is what most of you knew I meant. If i wanted to put active duty, which I currently am not, then I would have. But being in an active Guard or Reserve unit still qualifies you as a member of the "active military" your just not on active duty.

-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

Equinox

I don't think the regs are for the safety of cadets, I think we have them to avoid awkwardness.

Anyways, though, anyone hear about the married 20 year old cadet airman who's a corporal in the Army? I think he graduated from his basic encampment this year.

Now wasn't that awkward?   ;)
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

MSG Mac

Marriage automatically removes you from the cadet program.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Ned

RADIOMAN015

I see absolutely NO advantage to CAP at the local squadron level to allow cadets who reach the age of 18 years old to remain in the cadet program.   I think it leads to other issues.    CAP is primarily a 12 to 16/17 year old program, with maybe a few staying longer.   I've noted that ALL of our cadets that have gone to college are NOT involved in the CAP program anymore.  They may be involved in ROTC and that is the correct passage in my opinion from CAP cadet status.
RM

a2capt

This guy is really a whackjob in disquise.

68w20

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 01, 2012, 03:38:20 AM
I see absolutely NO advantage to CAP at the local squadron level to allow cadets who reach the age of 18 years old to remain in the cadet program.   I think it leads to other issues. 
Like what?  To what issues are you specifically referring?

CAP is primarily a 12 to 16/17 year old program, with maybe a few staying longer.   
To quote EP, please cite this.  There's plenty of data available on this topic, so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask you to substantiate this claim.

I've noted that ALL of our cadets that have gone to college are NOT involved in the CAP program anymore.  They may be involved in ROTC and that is the correct passage in my opinion from CAP cadet status.
RM
Not every Cadet goes through ROTC.  Not every Cadet has gotten the most out of CAP by the time they reach the age of 18.  After turning 17 (the age which you cite as being the time when most Cadets should leave), I participated in NESA, RCLS, COS, IACE, NBB Staff and numerous Encampments (in 3 states) as staff.  Do you genuinely believe that I had nothing to gain/offer in all of those circumstances simply based on my age?

spaatzmom

Quote from: 68w10 on October 01, 2012, 03:56:12 AM
I see absolutely NO advantage to CAP at the local squadron level to allow cadets who reach the age of 18 years old to remain in the cadet program.   I think it leads to other issues. 
Like what?  To what issues are you specifically referring?

CAP is primarily a 12 to 16/17 year old program, with maybe a few staying longer.   
To quote EP, please cite this.  There's plenty of data available on this topic, so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask you to substantiate this claim.

I've noted that ALL of our cadets that have gone to college are NOT involved in the CAP program anymore.  They may be involved in ROTC and that is the correct passage in my opinion from CAP cadet status.
RM
Not every Cadet goes through ROTC.  Not every Cadet has gotten the most out of CAP by the time they reach the age of 18.  After turning 17 (the age which you cite as being the time when most Cadets should leave), I participated in NESA, RCLS, COS, IACE, NBB Staff and numerous Encampments (in 3 states) as staff.  Do you genuinely believe that I had nothing to gain/offer in all of those circumstances simply based on my age?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: