Why so many homeschoolers?

Started by cadetesman, April 22, 2012, 10:39:34 PM

titanII

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 26, 2012, 01:27:23 AM
I knocked off 1/3 of a school year by taking two AP History courses. Not a bad deal when 1/3 of a year = $10,000. :)
Had I stayed for my Senior year, I could have entered college with Sophomore/close to Junior status.
Exactly my point!
No longer active on CAP talk

Major Carrales

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 25, 2012, 09:13:53 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on April 25, 2012, 06:59:47 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on April 25, 2012, 06:26:57 PM
yeah...but your probably all socially awkward so you all seem normal to yourselves

If they were all "socially akward" then they would be "the norm" and you the "odd man out." 

Your comment came across as very uncalled for...in fact, this is a real prejudice here it would seem.   I am a bit taken back and will have to ask you to apologize or otherwise qualify these statement.

Uh dude, take a step back a minute and read the above posts and youll see it was a joke between myself and Extreme.  He is homeschooled and so are my kids.  Comments were made earlier that homeschooled kids can be socially awkward.  A little situational awareness goes along way before you assume Im bashing a cadet for being homeschooled.  And if you read further, you would find that I came to the defense of homeschooled kids being labled as having no social skills by using my kids as examples fo the opposite.  I thought it was pretty obvious.  Maybe not.

Obviously you have never seen a student being bullied in a Public School setting, every time it happens the "bully" plays it off as if it was a "joke."  I see it on a daily basis and intervene, just as I have done now.

Go back and read what you typed...it smacks of being inappropriate for a  Senior Member with Law enforcement experience to say to a cadet.  If his parents took it to the local police department citing that it was "cyber bullying" what do you suppose might happen in a world where this happened...

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20245666,00.html

If you personally knew this cadet or were there to "laugh it off" what is one thing, but taken out of context...well, people have been sued for less.

That said...

I was really taken aback by what was typed.  Maybe if it had been followed by an emoticon or a "j/k." I am not seriously saying it is inappropriate, but...as I said...people have been sued for less.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 26, 2012, 02:53:14 AM
I was really taken aback by what was typed.  Maybe if it had been followed by an emoticon or a "j/k." I am not seriously saying it is inappropriate, but...as I said...people have been sued for less.

The greatest books every written did not include emoticons or "j/k" to convey humor, sarcasm, empathy, etc.  The reader derives those emotions through the select use of words in a certain context.  The wording used, in the context, between the two parties was dripping with sarcasm and humor.  The parties involved (and 99% of those not involved) were able to see it for what it was - a joke. 

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 25, 2012, 09:13:53 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on April 25, 2012, 06:59:47 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on April 25, 2012, 06:26:57 PM
yeah...but your probably all socially awkward so you all seem normal to yourselves

If they were all "socially akward" then they would be "the norm" and you the "odd man out." 

Your comment came across as very uncalled for...in fact, this is a real prejudice here it would seem.   I am a bit taken back and will have to ask you to apologize or otherwise qualify these statement.

Uh dude, take a step back a minute and read the above posts and youll see it was a joke between myself and Extreme.  He is homeschooled and so are my kids.  Comments were made earlier that homeschooled kids can be socially awkward.  A little situational awareness goes along way before you assume Im bashing a cadet for being homeschooled.  And if you read further, you would find that I came to the defense of homeschooled kids being labled as having no social skills by using my kids as examples fo the opposite.  I thought it was pretty obvious.  Maybe not.

Obviously you have never seen a student being bullied in a Public School setting, every time it happens the "bully" plays it off as if it was a "joke."  I see it on a daily basis and intervene, just as I have done now.

Go back and read what you typed...it smacks of being inappropriate for a  Senior Member with Law enforcement experience to say to a cadet.  If his parents took it to the local police department citing that it was "cyber bullying" what do you suppose might happen in a world where this happened...

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20245666,00.html

If you personally knew this cadet or were there to "laugh it off" what is one thing, but taken out of context...well, people have been sued for less.

That said...

I took it as a joke. If the person it is directed at takes it as a joke, I don't really think it is bullying.

Me and my friend troll each other so much, my whole class thinks we are mortal enemies...  ::)
We call each other 'a horrible person' and laugh about it... It takes a lot more than some random person calling me socially awkward for me to be bullied. I'm not a "fragile" soul.

Here is the 'Socially Awesome Awkward Penguin'
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Major Carrales

Alright....alright...I get it.  Just remember...when one of you get trolled or dogpiled it will be PEACHY KEEN....and I will have these links to prove it.  >:D  Because...what's good for the GOOSE, is good for the GANDER!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Extremepredjudice

Jokes don't equal trolling. Sorry, sir.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Major Carrales

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 26, 2012, 03:16:58 AM

The greatest books every written did not include emoticons or "j/k" to convey humor, sarcasm, empathy, etc.  The reader derives those emotions through the select use of words in a certain context.  The wording used, in the context, between the two parties was dripping with sarcasm and humor.  The parties involved (and 99% of those not involved) were able to see it for what it was - a joke.

JUST FOR FUN....

1) CAPTALK...while entertaining...is not GREAT LITERATURE!  Please...CAPTALK is no "SLAUGTHERHOUSE V" or "THE JUNGLE," yeah..."but your probably all socially awkward so you all seem normal to yourselves" is basically calling a group of people FREAKS.  That would get me fired from my job.

2) It was an exchange between a CAP Adult and a CAP Cadet on a public web forum.  Not the best Public Affairs move for CAP.  Add that to all the other "HOME SCHOOL" bashing and I think a researching Home Schooler family may determine that some other organization might best serve their students/children. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

whatevah

Ok, time to lock this... the original question was answered and the resulting conversations are starting to resemble a train wreck.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin