Term of Address for a C/CMSgt serving as First Sergeant?

Started by titanII, November 26, 2011, 02:21:50 AM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on November 26, 2011, 11:02:20 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 26, 2011, 10:47:18 PM
Our first sergeant seems adamant about saluting our cadet commander who is junior in grade to him (long story).
So the Cadet Commander is a NCO? ???

Yup. It's allowed, just not advisable.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 26, 2011, 11:17:46 PM
Our first sergeant seems adamant about saluting our cadet commander who is junior in grade to him (long story).

I know it is allowed, but why does the other sergeant think he needs to salute a sergeant?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on November 27, 2011, 12:26:55 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 26, 2011, 11:17:46 PM

I know it is allowed, but why does the other sergeant think he needs to salute a sergeant?

Something about saluting the commander regardless.... I don't know, but I also haven't looked it up. I'm also not the CDC, so if she's fine with it so be it.

Dracosbane

First sergeants are generally called first shirt, shirt, top, chief, or sergeant.  There are different times or situations that require different forms of address. 

"Hey, Top." 
"Hey, Chief."
"Hey, Sergeant."
"Sergeant Snuffy..."
"Go see the First Shirt."  Etc.

Nathan

The only time I called first sergeants "first sergeant" is when I was specifically looking to identify them amongst the staff. I also actually called my C/XO "exo" and so forth.

Then again, I'm a dork.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Major Lord

Calling out loudly "First Sergeant" is a handy way of finding the guy in charge amongst a sea of tiny blue people....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

DakRadz

Quote from: lordmonar on November 26, 2011, 06:09:50 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on November 26, 2011, 02:51:47 AM
Call him/her Chief. First Sergeant is a position not a title.
+1

For all those cadets who demand that they be called "First Sergeant"....I make them refer to me by my duty positions......."Good Afternoon Operations Officers!"

This will be used at my next encampment.
I wonder if I can get them to approve me as a Reserve Assistant Medical Officer in addition to my main duty just for the halibut. ;D

titanII

Quote from: DakRadz on November 27, 2011, 05:39:32 PM
I wonder if I can get them to approve me as a Reserve Assistant Medical Officer in addition to my main duty just for the halibut. ;D
;D ;D ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

Major Lord

+1

For all those cadets who demand that they be called "First Sergeant"....I make them refer to me by my duty positions......."Good Afternoon Operations Officers!"

Would we have to call you " RAMO"?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Nathan

Quote from: Major Lord on November 27, 2011, 04:49:05 PM
Calling out loudly "First Sergeant" is a handy way of finding the guy in charge amongst a sea of tiny blue people....

Major Lord

It's an excellent way of finding the First Sergeant...

Especially when is last name is Jones...
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

DakRadz

Quote from: Major Lord on November 27, 2011, 06:27:36 PM
+1

Would we have to call you " RAMO"?

Major Lord

I noticed that, and wanted to see if others caught it- and no, no abbreviations of my positions are allowed ;)

SaBeR33

Quote from: lordmonar on November 26, 2011, 10:30:10 PM
Quote from: RobertAmphibian on November 26, 2011, 10:27:33 PM
I mean, I know that a lot of people would like to defer to the practice of the Air Force...too bad the regs are too easy to read here.
In my 22 years on AD I never addressed my first sergeant as "frist sergeant".  It was always sir, or chief.....maybe shirt.....but never "First Sergeant".

It was the same for me during my eight years in the USAF, although I never had a CMSgt for a First Sergeant.

PHall

Quote from: SaBeR33 on December 04, 2011, 01:38:42 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on November 26, 2011, 10:30:10 PM
Quote from: RobertAmphibian on November 26, 2011, 10:27:33 PM
I mean, I know that a lot of people would like to defer to the practice of the Air Force...too bad the regs are too easy to read here.
In my 22 years on AD I never addressed my first sergeant as "frist sergeant".  It was always sir, or chief.....maybe shirt.....but never "First Sergeant".

It was the same for me during my eight years in the USAF, although I never had a CMSgt for a First Sergeant.

You need a very large unit, like over 400 personnel assigned to have the First Sergeant position be a E9 slot.

The size of a unit determines the grade the First Sergeant is authorized.

If you have under 25 enlisted in a squadron you're not even authorized a "full time" First Sergeant.
Somebody, usually the NCOIC, gets to be a "part time" First Sergeant.

Abby.L

My 2 cents: If a cadet has been appointed to a particular position, you should respect that, from both up and down the chain of command. I call the XO in my squadron "XO," and so I expect the same respect. Though if I were working some event composed of other squadrons, I would happily respond to "Chief". But at the squadron, I take nothing but "1st Sergeant" or other names for "1st sergeant". But that's just me.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

tsrup

Quote from: Levilockling on December 06, 2011, 09:29:45 PM
I've been put in a position of authority so the best way I can set an example is to do whatever I want regardless of what the regulations say.

FTFY
Paramedic
hang-around.

Abby.L

Quote from: tsrup on December 06, 2011, 10:31:33 PM
I've been put in a position of authority so the best way I can set an example is to do whatever I want regardless of what the regulations say.

FTFY
Hold up there. It's not fair to the many 1st Sergeants around the nation to be accused of such a thing. I do the job that the squadron commander wants me to do, and RARELY just go off on my own whim. I clear pretty much everything with said commander, as a 1st sergeant should do, and assume that all of us Shirts are just there for the "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt" is just so disrespectful. I do know of shirts who would do that, and that makes me die a lil' inside, but we're not all the same. And as far as regs are concerned, I feel it as being a necasary and wide-spread "Lack of support" for the regs, and I would not mind if it remained so.

On a different note, what is "FTFY"?
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

tsrup

Quote from: Levilockling on December 06, 2011, 10:40:14 PM
Quote from: tsrup on December 06, 2011, 10:31:33 PM

FTFY
Hold up there. It's not fair to the many 1st Sergeants around the nation to be accused of such a thing. I do the job that the squadron commander wants me to do, and RARELY just go off on my own whim. I clear pretty much everything with said commander, as a 1st sergeant should do, and assume that all of us Shirts are just there for the "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt" is just so disrespectful. I do know of shirts who would do that, and that makes me die a lil' inside, but we're not all the same.
And as far as regs are concerned, I feel it as being a necasary and wide-spread "Lack of support" for the regs, and I would not mind if it remained so.

On a different note, what is "FTFY"?

This is the attitude I was mostly talking about here:
QuoteBut at the squadron, I take nothing but "1st Sergeant" or other names for "1st sergeant". But that's just me.

And FTFY means "Fixed That For You"
Paramedic
hang-around.

Abby.L

As far as I've interpreted, what you stated was that all 1st Sergeants go off willy-nilly to troll for some unknown cause without telling their commanders. Far as I'm concerned, that is just not true. As stated, I respect my commander enough to ask him about what to do on all but what I know I can do. Also stated, I acknowledge that there are 1st Sergeants out there willing to do whatever they wanted. I shun such behavior. The main reason that I only take 1st Sergeant at the squadron is because the cadets need to learn the ranks if they really want to go into the AF. Also in this, cadets need to respect their superiors, as they have a hard enough time saluting every time an officer passes by, so this is an assistance. Besides, in the case that we have a visitor, how much easier would it be to refer to "The guy with the diamond in his chevrons" as "1st Sergeant" than "The guy with the diamond in his chevrons"? Or are you suggesting that we should enforce the regs and get rid of all 1st Sergeants, and then have visitors go to the most senior NCO, of whom would have otherwise been 1st Sergeant?
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

tsrup

Quote from: Levilockling on December 06, 2011, 11:30:48 PM
As far as I've interpreted, what you stated was that all 1st Sergeants go off willy-nilly to troll for some unknown cause without telling their commanders. Far as I'm concerned, that is just not true. As stated, I respect my commander enough to ask him about what to do on all but what I know I can do. Also stated, I acknowledge that there are 1st Sergeants out there willing to do whatever they wanted. I shun such behavior. The main reason that I only take 1st Sergeant at the squadron is because the cadets need to learn the ranks if they really want to go into the AF. Also in this, cadets need to respect their superiors, as they have a hard enough time saluting every time an officer passes by, so this is an assistance. Besides, in the case that we have a visitor, how much easier would it be to refer to "The guy with the diamond in his chevrons" as "1st Sergeant" than "The guy with the diamond in his chevrons"? Or are you suggesting that we should enforce the regs and get rid of all 1st Sergeants, and then have visitors go to the most senior NCO, of whom would have otherwise been 1st Sergeant?

There is a huge difference between identifying someone as the First Sergeant, or calling someone first shirt; and demanding that you only be called First Sergeant.

One is okay, one is not.  I'll let you figure it out.

And you seem to be under the impression that I have an axe to grind with 1st Sergeants.  Not true.  I have an axe to grind with the attitude of "I'm more specialler than you and I demand that you.. (insert something that isn't in accordance with regulations)".
Paramedic
hang-around.

Abby.L

That's what I'm talking about. People seem to be under the impression that ALL 1st Sergeants are like that. I have no opinion that I am "Speciallar," but I know my duties and excell in them, which may or may not make me more special. Am I special because I show up to EVERY meeting? Am I special because I work EVERY event? Am I special because I'm the first shirt? Answer to all: No. But I am dedicated in what I do, and I will continue to be so until school or parents force me out, and I would go out fighting.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013