Hooyah, Hooah, or Hoorah?

Started by titanII, February 16, 2011, 02:46:54 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2011, 08:07:54 PM
Whoya cares?

None of these is part of CAP's culture, and those that try to use it (usually cadets), just wind up sounding like posers.

"Yes, Sir", or "Yes" will work just fine.

I think it arises from Encampment jodies/etc, movies and more movies.

HGjunkie

I've only usually seen it done at encampment.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 05, 2011, 08:21:25 PM

Nothing wrong with motivational yells/chants/jodies at encampment between flights. The problem comes when it comes back to the unit, usually led by C/NCOs to be "more like the military". Nothing in the Cadet Program learning material instruct on this subject, therefore it's simply not part of our program.

DC

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 05, 2011, 08:28:12 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on June 05, 2011, 08:21:25 PM

Nothing wrong with motivational yells/chants/jodies at encampment between flights. The problem comes when it comes back to the unit, usually led by C/NCOs to be "more like the military". Nothing in the Cadet Program learning material instruct on this subject, therefore it's simply not part of our program.
I don't see any problem with it at the squadron level, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. A hearty "HOOAH!" was usually given in lieu of clapping at my old squadron when a cadet was presented with an award or otherwise recognized. Only when outside, obviously.

We did not use it as a general purpose response to questions or anything goofy like that though. That's too much IMO.

ol'fido

Hooyah, Hooah, Hoorah, Hoocares? ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

CamoMan

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

CamoMan

Quote from: cap235629 on June 05, 2011, 11:35:40 PM
Quote from: CamoMan on June 05, 2011, 10:21:01 PM
At my unit we say hooah.

So how do you like the Army?
I personally don't go for the army I like the USMC. But the Cadet Commander wants to be army so that's what she picked.

AlphaSigOU

HOO-cares?

'HOOAH' (and other chants of that ilk) just grates on me, because it's constantly misused as 'motivational punctuation'. Same goes with 'Out-STANDING, SIR!'

Just my opinion, which counts for very little. And taxes took away most of it!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

HGjunkie

Just for kicks- I prefer "Hoorah" but pronounce it like "Oohrah."

And I just heard this at staff selection- "Just peachy, Sir!"
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

cap235629

Quote from: CamoMan on June 05, 2011, 11:46:40 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on June 05, 2011, 11:35:40 PM
Quote from: CamoMan on June 05, 2011, 10:21:01 PM
At my unit we say hooah.

So how do you like the Army?
I personally don't go for the army I like the USMC. But the Cadet Commander wants to be army so that's what she picked.

You missed the point entirely.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Actually, he answered the question. The C/CC chose "Hooah", and she wants to go Army.

cap235629

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 06, 2011, 12:34:03 AM
Actually, he answered the question. The C/CC chose "Hooah", and she wants to go Army.

We there will be plenty of time for that nonsense when she gets there.  For now we are all in CAP and it is irrelevant.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cap235629 on June 06, 2011, 12:53:03 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 06, 2011, 12:34:03 AM

We there will be plenty of time for that nonsense when she gets there.  For now we are all in CAP and it is irrelevant.

I agree. Just saying that while the cadet missed the "bigger" point, he did answer the question to the best of his ability (and control at the home unit).

AngelWings

I do not see why it is a problem. Oh well it isn't professional, it is fun to yell. It is better than "AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Littleguy on June 06, 2011, 02:05:34 AM
I do not see why it is a problem. Oh well it isn't professional, it is fun to yell. It is better than "AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".

Worked for millions of soldiers over thousands of years.

AngelWings

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 06, 2011, 02:17:14 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on June 06, 2011, 02:05:34 AM

Worked for millions of soldiers over thousands of years.
I was going for an "OH MY GOD, WE ARE GOING TO CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" type, not a blood curdling scream.

HGjunkie

Oh god, RUN AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ol'fido

^^^^The Monty Python School of Drill and Ceremony, Ltd. ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

sneakers

None of the three are used very often at my squadron (or at any activity I've been to). However, during calisthenics at my squadron meetings, we use hoorah from time to time. I think in some of those instances it can be appropriate as a motivational team-building tool.