Hooyah, Hooah, or Hoorah?

Started by titanII, February 16, 2011, 02:46:54 AM

NewDCC

Our cadets are using Hooah.    I never heard any battle cries during my time in the AF or ANG (85-97).  I first heard the hooah when with a group of Army National Guard soldiers.  I didn't think it sounded very professional.  I asked a recent grad from BMT and he said they are using a variation there.  I am considering telling my cadets to knock it off unless they can convince me it has some value.

I woud agree that it may be appropriate in an encampment or similar competative environment.

JC004

Quote from: NewDCC on June 13, 2011, 01:17:03 AM
Our cadets are using Hooah.    I never heard any battle cries during my time in the AF or ANG (85-97).  I first heard the hooah when with a group of Army National Guard soldiers.  I didn't think it sounded very professional.  I asked a recent grad from BMT and he said they are using a variation there.  I am considering telling my cadets to knock it off unless they can convince me it has some value.

I woud agree that it may be appropriate in an encampment or similar competative environment.

I don't know that it does any HARM.  I say just leave them be.

SavedThunder

I think it really doesn't matter which one you use. I have an explanation behind this. At the Ohio Wing Cadet Competition we were doing the mile run around the Horseshoe( which is the state football field) and I'm running next to another cadet in my squadron. We were just running trying to motivate each other. Then we stopped saying stuff and he randomly yells "HOORAH" literally at the top of his lungs, and he takes off like there was no tomorrow and he beat my time by 15 seconds (which is a lot for running). So, my theory is that no matter which one you use it can still motivate someone.