Hooyah, Hooah, or Hoorah?

Started by titanII, February 16, 2011, 02:46:54 AM

titanII

I think it's about time us CAPers decided on a battle cry. I've heatd both Hooah and Hoorah in my squadron, but those are Army and Marine Corps battle cries, respectively. I think Hooyah would be more apt. Despite its Navy usage, especially among SEALs, Battlefield airmen (Pararescue Jumpers, Combat Controllers, etc.) do use Hooyah. However I've never heard Hooyah used by any CAP member. Thoughts?
No longer active on CAP talk

MIKE

Marines say Oorah.  Being that I was formerly a member of your squadron... I think Hoorah is goofy.  I was in the Hooah camp when I was Deputy Commander for Cadets...  And for love of all that is scared, don't use HUA.

Edit: I should note that I'm not a fan yelling HOOAH! in formation, but as more of a simple acknowledgment. Hooah?
Mike Johnston

Smithsonia

Sports Center on ESPN uses Booyah
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

caphornbuckle

In the mid 90's when I went through AF BMT, they made us yell "Hooyah Air Force!" anytime we finished an obstacle on the confidence course.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Daniel

Respectably,

As a  CAP cadet I prefer to say 'none of the above'.

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arBar

Interesting.  I thought that it just varied from one base to another among the branches.  I always heard HOORAH from the Army troops.  Maybe we should borrow from Bill Murray's "Stripes" and just yell "That's the Fact, Jack!"

MIKE

Quote from: Daniel L on February 16, 2011, 03:21:52 AM
Respectably,

As a  CAP cadet I prefer to say 'none of the above'.

Quote from: SarDragon on February 16, 2011, 03:26:59 AM
+1 on Daniel, as not a cadet.

I freely admit it can tend to be over-blown in CAP.
Mike Johnston

capmaj

caphornbuckle

Quote from: arBar on February 16, 2011, 03:33:48 AM
Maybe we should borrow from Bill Murray's "Stripes" and just yell "That's the Fact, Jack!"

I always liked the "Blues Brothers" SWAT Team cry:

"Hut hut hut hut hut hut hut hut...."
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

PA Guy

Daniel

Hoorah = marine core
Hooyah = Navy Seals (No joke I googled it)
Hooah= army

HUA is considered the Airforce thing (even though its also used by the army), although notably it seems like United States Air Force Combat Controllers, Pararescue Jumpers, Tactical Air Control Party liked hooyah and used that.

I don't know, call me a square but war cries take away from professionalism...

I would consider it maybe, maybe, maybe, at encampment as an espirit de corps thing.

(maybe)
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

cap235629

how about

CAP ATTACK!!!!!

>:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

nesagsar

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NCRblues

Nothing please, and i have reason behind it...

Cadet Ssgt reported in for the NCSA review board, and responded to almost every question with a version of HUA.....

Please just stop the madness...

When i was a cadet, i did not want any part of a "war cry", and as a CP SM, i refuse to allow it around my cadets.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

DC

Quote from: davidsinn on February 16, 2011, 04:59:51 AM
Death by Powerpoint!!!
>:D Perhaps 'Death by Safety Briefing!' is most apt for CAP. Double points if said briefing is delivered via a powerpoint with excessive animation.

I've always encouraged the use of hooah, but as a 'war cry' type deal, not the all-purpose form of acknowledgment that it tends to get used as. That, I find annoying...

And it is spelled h-o-o-a-h, not 'HUA'. It's not an acronym. Stop it. Please.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

Rowan

Quote from: DC on February 16, 2011, 05:14:30 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 16, 2011, 04:59:51 AM
Death by Powerpoint!!!
>:D Perhaps 'Death by Safety Briefing!' is most apt for CAP. Double points if said briefing is delivered via a powerpoint with excessive animation.

+1   ::)