Staff Duty Analysis

Started by DakRadz, October 24, 2010, 03:10:43 PM

DakRadz

Am I crazy for thinking these could be fun?

I get to interview my Lt Col or 2d Lt, give a speech to the cadets, and talk about 5 common uniform discrepancies. Only 5? :'( ::)

CADETS- Use the search function. I've eliminated many of the questions I had by doing that and checking regs.

Does anyone have suggestions for cadets in smaller squadrons? If not all of the positions required for the staff service are filled, then what does the cadet do?

Quote from: Sample SDA ReportNo recurring deadlines (suspenses)
From the sample SDA report, so suspense means deadline?

I just want to confirm a few things; I will be speaking with the leadership, but I've found helpful and diverse viewpoints on here before- that's why I ask here as well.

tsrup

even at a smaller squadron, all staff positions have to be "filled". 

There are multiple smaller scope staff duties that are part of a larger one i.e. the ES officer also has SAR officer and a few others.  Basically the ES officer is a accountable for the jobs below him, as with all other positions.  Just because you don't have a person appointed to that spot, doesn't mean that the work doesn't get done. 
On the larger scope, if there is no "admin" officer in your squadron, it is probably being filled by your squadron commander. 
If this is the case then work with your commander on this. 

As far as they staff service requirements, serving as a flight commander with the DCC as your mentor will also fulfill your Phase III requirements (you only have to do one of either flight commander, PAO, or admin)

Clear as mud? 

And yes, Suspenses mean deadlines.

There are reports that certain staff positions have to submit monthly, yearly, etc..
Paramedic
hang-around.

DakRadz

Okay, that actually does clear up a few things.

Now, since it says CC is not the OPR for any publication, do I need to find the Unit Commander's Handbook to find the CC's role in managing his staff's suspenses?

My EDIT: Actually, your EDIT addresses the exact question I had earlier (not the one in this post), and I was thinking the same end result.

tsrup

glad to help,

Im the DCC at a pretty small squadron and have had to go through this with a couple cadets in the last year. 

If cadets really knew how easy the SDA is to complete, it wouldn't be such a stopping point for a lot of Mitchell cadets.
Paramedic
hang-around.

DakRadz

Agreed. The thing that kicked me into gear is one cadet I went to encampment with as a Chief now outranks me, and on here Daniel L is nearly there, Fly Boy is there, and a few more who I know in person are trying to move up on me.

It's not that difficult if you set your mind to it..

Майор Хаткевич

I did my 3 reports ib one day + a PAO article. Then I just submited them and did the actual. Discussions/mentorships. Really not hard, just takes innitative.

CAPC/officer125

What I did for my SDAs was use the Indices (plural of Index), to figure out the code for whatever OPR I was on (say the 52-series is all Cadet Programs). Then, I just went down the list and input it into the document. Another easy thing to do, is format it the very first time (this is, I think, the hardest part), save the format and just copy and paste or type it into the pre-saved format. It saved me a lot of time, up until I had to redo it because my computer crashed (which also took the first 4 SDAs with it).

Don't be afraid to ask, but be prepared for them to tell you to get back to them later or they have no idea what you are talking about. I was my squadron's first officer in over 4 years and I think I was the first one they actually made do the SDAs.

After you do enough of them, you see they are a necessary evil and are actually informative and helpful in the long run. If you were to look at my first SDA and my last, I am sure you would see an improvement in the writing. Now, this may be only from the fact that I started doing them the summer before my sophomore year and did my last at the beginning of my senior year.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

tsrup

Quote from: DakRadz on October 24, 2010, 05:44:09 PMNow, since it says CC is not the OPR for any publication, do I need to find the Unit Commander's Handbook to find the CC's role in managing his staff's suspenses?

The staff member should be your resources for "what is submitted when" questions, if that position isn't filled ask the CC. 

Someone in your squadron has to know when these are submitted because someone has to be submitting them.

The index is a great way to check out the regulations pertaining to that position, but I also recommend looking up the pamphlet series for the specialty track associated with the staff position.  They also have a list of pertaining regs and it might give you some more insight into what they do.

It's easy to try and gather a lot of information from regulations, but the spirit of the SDA is to work with these staff members and gain their insights.
Not saying that a reg isn't a great source of information to "fill in the blanks".
Paramedic
hang-around.

DakRadz

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on October 24, 2010, 07:21:46 PM
Don't be afraid to ask, but be prepared for them to tell you to get back to them later or they have no idea what you are talking about. I was my squadron's first officer in over 4 years and I think I was the first one they actually made do the SDAs.

I do believe our last C/officer was... My 30 yr old DCC. So.

Quote from: tsrup on October 24, 2010, 07:47:57 PM
The staff member should be your resources for "what is submitted when" questions, if that position isn't filled ask the CC. 
Roger that sir, thank you. And by his staff, I'll take it to mean Admin, Operations, and the other Dept. head-type staff jobs.

Eclipse

Quote from: tsrup on October 24, 2010, 05:33:48 PM

There are multiple smaller scope staff duties that are part of a larger one i.e. the ES officer also has SAR officer and a few others.  Basically the ES officer is a accountable for the jobs below him, as with all other positions.  Just because you don't have a person appointed to that spot, doesn't mean that the work doesn't get done. 
On the larger scope, if there is no "admin" officer in your squadron, it is probably being filled by your squadron commander. 

No they don't, though I am assuming that you know that because of the "quotes".  I am further assuming that you meant that
any duties or reports mandated by regulation must be done regardless of whether a staffer is appointed.

Comms and LG are not required staff positions, if you have radios or property w/o a DC or LG, the CC does the paperwork
(though YMMV depending on wing).

The only currently mandated positions:

Commander
Aerospace Education Officer (can be the CC but must still be appointed)
Safety Officer (should not be the commander {note "should" vs. "will"} but still must be appointed and the member must meet the other requirmements.
Finance Manager - (will not be the commander)

That is all, everything else is optional depending on what the unit is doing.

ES is not a program mandate, and therefore an ESO is not required, and a unit can participate without one.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

^^
You assume correctly,

I was just conveying that, even though there may not be someone appointed, the work is being done by someone. 

While ESO is not a required position it was just a micro-example of the concept.

Our squdron only has 3 senior members (including myself) who regularly show up, so the majority of the work is carried out by us.  We have multiple staff positions formally assigned to us, and we have other jobs that are "assigned" to us. 
Admin was one of the postitions that had no one formally filled, however the tasks required  of it were being carried out by the CC, so when I had a cadet do her SDA for admin, I pointed her in the direction of the CC and gave pretty much the same advice as I did above.

The work gets done, the paperwork gets done, and wing stays happy.

Paramedic
hang-around.

coudano

QuoteIf not all of the positions required for the staff service are filled, then what does the cadet do?

You know that you only have to do one of the staff services per phase right?
You don't do that for every achievement.

So in phase 3, you do the staff service for 9, 10, or 11.
And in phase 4, you do the staff service for 12, 13, 14, 15, or 16

Surely out of those 3 (or 5) available, your squadron has one...
If that doesn't work, then yeah, just work with the commander or whoever you can get.

QuoteFrom the sample SDA report, so suspense means deadline?

Yes.  It's pretty amazing how that isn't spelled out anywhere, yet you are expected to know it or figure it out, eh?  Some suspenses are 'recurring' like "submit AEO of the year by jan 15' (every year).  Others may be one time, or event based, 'conduct a financial self assessment within 60 days of taking command' for example.

They are always a specific action bound by a specific time/date deadline.

QuoteNow, since it says CC is not the OPR for any publication, do I need to find the Unit Commander's Handbook to find the CC's role in managing his staff's suspenses?

Or just... you know...   talk to your commander.  Ask him/her

DakRadz

"I pledge to remain motivated, despite the fact that NEC is addressing the elimination of SDAs by 2011...."
-The Creed of new C/2d Lts in CAP ;D

Thanks for all the feedback!

DBlair

Quote from: DakRadz on October 26, 2010, 01:35:06 AM
"I pledge to remain motivated, despite the fact that NEC is addressing the elimination of SDAs by 2011...."

I'm sure many Cadet Officers are anxiously awaiting that decision. hehe
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

CAP Producer

Quote from: Eclipse on October 24, 2010, 09:54:46 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 24, 2010, 05:33:48 PM

No they don't, though I am assuming that you know that because of the "quotes".  I am further assuming that you meant that
any duties or reports mandated by regulation must be done regardless of whether a staffer is appointed.

Comms and LG are not required staff positions, if you have radios or property w/o a DC or LG, the CC does the paperwork
(though YMMV depending on wing).

The only currently mandated positions:

Commander
Aerospace Education Officer (can be the CC but must still be appointed)
Safety Officer (should not be the commander {note "should" vs. "will"} but still must be appointed and the member must meet the other requirmements.
Finance Manager - (will not be the commander)

That is all, everything else is optional depending on what the unit is doing.

ES is not a program mandate, and therefore an ESO is not required, and a unit can participate without one.

Actually a PAO is required as per CAPR 190-1
AL PABON, Major, CAP

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: DBlair on October 26, 2010, 02:06:27 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on October 26, 2010, 01:35:06 AM

I'm sure many Cadet Officers are anxiously awaiting that decision. hehe
And I just got done with them...dang-flab it. Why must they do things like that?
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

coudano

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on October 26, 2010, 02:14:46 AM
And I just got done with them...dang-flab it. Why must they do things like that?

not the first time they have attempted to axe the sda
don't believe it until you see it.

i favor killing the sda if and only if it is replaced suitably (compulsory activity planning and execution each achievement gets my vote)

tsrup

I sincerely hope the SDA doesn't get the axe.  Seems in the minutes that the only reason that the SDA is proposed to get the axe is that the cadets don't like it, however even the NEC realizes how important it is that the cadets get some familiarization with staff duties. 

The proposals on the table for replacements are just obtuse in comparison to what it would be replacing. 

Paramedic
hang-around.

coudano

Quote from: tsrup on October 26, 2010, 07:23:16 AM
I sincerely hope the SDA doesn't get the axe.  Seems in the minutes that the only reason that the SDA is proposed to get the axe is that the cadets don't like it, however even the NEC realizes how important it is that the cadets get some familiarization with staff duties. 

The proposals on the table for replacements are just obtuse in comparison to what it would be replacing.

What is on the table to replace it?

Nathan

They've tried removing SDA's for years. I've never stopped saying that it would be a terrible idea to remove them. I've never understood the justification for trying to take them out.

But they should stop using the word "suspenses." I have never heard the word used outside of the SDA instructions. The spell-check doesn't even understand it.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.