Most rewarding encampment Senior Staff position

Started by RiChArD7032, March 05, 2018, 01:14:47 AM

RiChArD7032

I'm a new SM and kicking around the idea of applying this year, or waiting till next year. Of those who have been, what's your experience attending as a SM? What's it like as a TAC officer or any of the others you've done.

Thank you for your time,
Richard

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ned

Flight Training Officer (Formerly known as TAC).  Hands down the best and most rewarding job at encampment.  I've done it a couple of dozen times and loved it every time.  Yes, the hours are long, sleep can be a bit elusive, and you will put more steps on your FitBit than you would if you stayed home.

But the rewards are considerable.  Working directly with and mentoring the cadet flight staff and the student cadets is amazing.  Watching their progress over the week is magic.

Yes, all of the other jobs can be fun, too.  I've worked in the kitchen, and done some administrative stuff as well. 

Don't hesitate to apply and go.  I promise (PROMISE!) you will have a great time.

Ned Lee
CAWG Encampment Guy

Jester

Alaric

I've always enjoyed the Finance Officer role, though TAC was fun too

rbi90vmi

As an EMT, I've enjoyed being an HSO. I get to experience all the different aspects and activities of Encampment without being assigned to any squadron or group of cadets.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Shaffner

Start with Tac Officer.  Then PAO or Logistics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lt Col Nikki Shaffner, CAP
SCWG Chief of Staff
Gil Robb Wilson Award #3451 (2017)
Billy Mitchell Award (1990)

futura

RiChArD7032

Thanks for the advice. I applied for the TAC officer. I'm late in applying, but we'll see if they still need the position.

Toad1168

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on March 06, 2018, 03:44:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. I applied for the TAC officer. I'm late in applying, but we'll see if they still need the position.

We are definitely looking for help in Missouri!
Toad

RiChArD7032

Quote from: Toad1168 on March 06, 2018, 03:43:29 PM

Would if I could. I'm looking to help at the Tri-Wing encampment in Maryland

Toad1168

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on March 06, 2018, 04:15:04 PM
Quote from: Toad1168 on March 06, 2018, 03:43:29 PM

Would if I could. I'm looking to help at the Tri-Wing encampment in Maryland

Definitely go for training officer.  It is the full immersion in the encampment experience.  Definitely the hardest working job, but the most rewarding.
Toad

foo

Quote from: Toad1168 on March 06, 2018, 05:07:21 PM
Definitely go for training officer.  It is the full immersion in the encampment experience.  Definitely the hardest working job, but the most rewarding.

... said the guy who I presume has never worked Dining Services.

J2H

I applied for the Tri Wing encampment as a Training Officer.  I only just joined my Sqdn so I don't have much of a CAP resume and I still need the letter of intent and letters of recommendation
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

GZCP31

I'm set to be COMMS/IT for my daughter's first encampment.
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

RiChArD7032

Quote from: J2H on March 08, 2018, 11:03:11 PM
I applied for the Tri Wing encampment as a Training Officer.  I only just joined my Sqdn so I don't have much of a CAP resume and I still need the letter of intent and letters of recommendation
We need to write letters of intent? And recommendation letters?

GaryVC

That must depend on where you are. We just have an application here in Nevada.

Fester

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on March 08, 2018, 11:38:35 PM
Quote from: J2H on March 08, 2018, 11:03:11 PM
We need to write letters of intent? And recommendation letters?

Boy, as hard as SM positions are to staff at Encampments (from what I've seen) that seems quite excessive.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

J2H

For the MD/DC/DE Tri-Wing Encampment I need the online app, the 4 required forms, a letter of intent, a CAP resume, and 2 letters of recommendation (and I believe something from the Commander saying I am a good fit).
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Fester

Quote from: J2H on March 09, 2018, 05:30:09 AM
For the MD/DC/DE Tri-Wing Encampment I need the online app, the 4 required forms, a letter of intent, a CAP resume, and 2 letters of recommendation (and I believe something from the Commander saying I am a good fit).

To me, that seems pretty ridiculous.  Are Senior Staff Encampment positions REALLY that competitive for that encampment?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

That's more paperwork than I needed as a Cadet 20 years ago to apply for (and be granted a full scholarship to) my Solo Encampment (predecessor to the PFA's today.)

I needed the written app, a copy of my Student Pilot Cert, a copy of my Medical Cert, a short letter from me about my family's financial status and a letter of recommendation from my Squadron CC.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996