Anyone noticing a problem with IE 8 and the text fields?

Started by desertengineer1, July 11, 2009, 07:50:18 PM

desertengineer1

Just upgraded to Vista and IE8.  When I get down to the end of the default field space, the view is reset to the top after each character.  Pretty annoying...  Anyone else seeing this?

MIKE

Noticed it while forced to use Internet Exploiter.  Doesn't do this in Firefox though.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Ouch, "upgrade to Vista and IE8"  such language, please there are ladies on this board!

"That Others May Zoom"

AndrewA74

Yeah, I had this problem with IE8. The green button beside your refresh button fixes this. Just hit it once and leave it.
Andrew

JC004

Quote from: desertengineer1 on July 11, 2009, 07:50:18 PM
Just upgraded to Vista and IE8...
"Just downgraded to Vista and IE8..."

The easiest fix for this can be found at www.getfirefox.com.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

You know guys, I know you're all a bunch of "Computer Snobs", but IE does what I need it to do.
And for me, the computer is just a tool. It's not my life!

Pylon

Quote from: PHall on July 12, 2009, 12:41:13 AM
You know guys, I know you're all a bunch of "Computer Snobs", but IE does what I need it to do.

You're right -- the computer is just a tool, not our lives.  But when it's free, easy and relatively quick to "upgrade" your tool to one that's basically universally-accepted as working better on dozens of fronts - why not upgrade that tool?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DC

Quote from: PHall on July 12, 2009, 12:41:13 AM
I held that same attitude for a long time, and was very pleasantly surprised when I finally made the transition. And I'm definitely not a computer slob, I barely know how they work.

Really, it takes about 5 minutes total to download the software and import your settings from IE, which allows you to keep all your favorites, saved passwords, homepage, etc. It's really quite painless.

AndrewA74

OK, I'll post the solution to this problem one more time, in case someone didn't see it for the ranting...
QuoteYeah, I had this problem with IE8. The green button beside your refresh button fixes this. Just hit it once and leave it.
Andrew

DC

Quote from: AndrewA74 on July 12, 2009, 01:48:42 AM
OK, I'll post the solution to this problem one more time, in case someone didn't see it for the ranting...
QuoteYeah, I had this problem with IE8. The green button beside your refresh button fixes this. Just hit it once and leave it.
Andrew
Wow, I didn't realize several people trying to improve your online life and generally lower your blood pressure was considered ranting...

desertengineer1

Quote from: AndrewA74 on July 11, 2009, 09:26:48 PM
Yeah, I had this problem with IE8. The green button beside your refresh button fixes this. Just hit it once and leave it.
Andrew

Thanks!!  That puts IE into compatibility mode. 

I hate Vista.....

AndrewA74

Quote from: DC on July 12, 2009, 02:10:38 AM
Quote from: AndrewA74 on July 12, 2009, 01:48:42 AM
Andrew
Wow, I didn't realize several people trying to improve your online life and generally lower your blood pressure was considered ranting...
You were giving him an alternative, I was giving him a solution. Sorry if my words don't come across as intended.
Andrew

MIKE

The bigger question is, why are you "upgrading" to Vista now when you could have Windows 7 in October?
Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: MIKE on July 12, 2009, 03:38:25 PM
The bigger question is, why are you "upgrading" to Vista now when you could have Windows 7 in October?

Vista seems to have become the Windows Me if the 21st Century.
Which is why I'm still running XP, it's "stable" and most of it's faults are known quantities.

desertengineer1

Quote from: MIKE on July 12, 2009, 03:38:25 PM

Dell would not do anything otherwise.  Was stuck with Vista  :(

I considered downgrading manually to XP, but that would have been a major pain. 

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: desertengineer1 on July 11, 2009, 07:50:18 PM
Just upgraded to Vista and IE8.  When I get down to the end of the default field space, the view is reset to the top after each character.  Pretty annoying...  Anyone else seeing this?

Happened to me while I was using Internet Explorer 8. That is why I switched to Google Chrome. Safari 4 also works.

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on July 13, 2009, 12:56:03 AM
Dell Windows 7 upgrade program.  For small business too.

Ditto - Dell has been and continues to sell XP for an additional price - well worth it.  I wouldn't let anyone I love run Vista, or Windows 7 for that matter, if for not any other reason than XP still gets the job done in a much more resource efficient manner.

XP will be supported until 2014 in most flavors.

Sadly, both FireFox and IE are experiencing upgrade issues - I bounced to the most current FF and 1/2 my add-ons as well as some important Google Labs features didn't work.  Thankfully a reinstall of the previous version restored functionality.

If Chrome would gain a little more traction on the add-on front, I'd go there and never look back

Today its still #2 to FF, but far superior to any version of IE.

"That Others May Zoom"