Main Menu

Osh Kosh

Started by Tater, July 22, 2009, 07:37:36 PM

Tater

Is there still a presence of CAP at the EAA Airventure in Osh Kosh?  Four of us are taking a Cherokee Six from CA, one is flying his Mooney from TX and then CO and one is traveling commercial.  It is the first pilgrimage for all of us.  Will there be any CAP anything at the show this year?
Roy Knight
Airplane Driver
Fallbrook Squadron 87
CAWG

capchiro

My son and two of his squadron buddies are in training at Blue Beret (Oshgosh) right now and there will be about 150 cadets working the Air Show.  Say hi to as many of them as you can.  My wife and I are considering driving up from Atlanta, GA.  Supposedly there will be about 15,000 aircraft, or at least that is what I have heard.  The best and biggest of them all..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

davidsinn

Last year INWG aero-towed our Blanik up there.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Airrace

My son also got a chance to attend the National Blue Beret at Oshkosh. He arrived on Tuesday morning and is in training the rest of the week. Only a few cadets (125) from the various Civil Air Patrol squadrons get the chance to attend this event. He was excited to be a part of the show and I will assume he will be even more excited when he comes back with his blue beret and all the things he learned at Oskosh. He was told he will be working the flight line, marshalling airplanes, checking for ELT's (UDF searchs) and montioring the radio.

Tater

That's outstanding.  I am excited as I can be.  I can't imagine what it must be for a cadet to get to do this.  Excellent!  Thanks for the info guys and I will be sure to say Howdy to any cadet I see.
Roy Knight
Airplane Driver
Fallbrook Squadron 87
CAWG

MooneyMeyer

I'm going to get up to Oshkosh this year myself. I'm meeting a bunch of my airline pilot buddies up there. I know its kind of last minute but if any pilot in Texas who is flying up there has an empty seat, I'd love to occupy it.   ;D
I'll probably buy an airline ticket and plan on camping when I get there.

Sean Meyer
1st Lieutenant, CAP
Fort Worth, Texas

Eclipse

Quote from: MooneyMeyer on July 23, 2009, 02:41:38 AM

I have to give anyone credit who can do stuff like that - in a pinch I'll do what I need to, but when I have time to plan, my maintenance level is much higher than that.

I've always envied people who can see the world with a knapsack and a passport.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thom

Quote from: Eclipse on July 23, 2009, 02:49:07 AM
Quote from: MooneyMeyer on July 23, 2009, 02:41:38 AM

I have to give anyone credit who can do stuff like that - in a pinch I'll so what I need to, but when I have time to plan, my maintenance level is much higher than that.

I've always envied people who can see the world with a knapsack and a passport.

Ditto.

Small countries have been invaded (successfully!) with less planning and strategizing than I used on my single trip to OshKosh.

I can't imagine just hopping on an airliner and heading up there.  I truly envy those who can do it that way.

Thom Hamilton

pixelwonk

A free ride from KATW to KOSH to any CAP Talker flying in.
Unless, of course, I'm at EAA.

Don't forget to stop and say hi at the CAP recruiting booth and unofficial member complaint dept.  ;D

My tentative schedule there:
Tuesday
Wed
Thurs
Sat
Sun

As an aside... It's Oshkosh.  Just one word.

jimmydeanno

^unless, of course, you're wearing crayola colored farmer pants and a bright yellow t-shirt.  Then it's Osh Kosh, B'Gosh!
:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Almost.

From the company web site:

"Founded in 1895 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, OshKosh B'Gosh, Inc...."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CadetProgramGuy

Inside sources from NBB:

First find was yesterday....And AirVenture hasn't started officially until today....

Airrace

Hello:

Glad to hear you had your first UDF find. Somebody should be able to add another ribbon to their rack.

Keep up the posts from Oskosh. We have a son attending NBB and would love to hear a daily report.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Airrace on July 26, 2009, 05:00:23 AM
Hello:

Glad to hear you had your first UDF find. Somebody should be able to add another ribbon to their rack.

Keep up the posts from Oskosh. We have a son attending NBB and would love to hear a daily report.

Just for knowledge, I am not there, I have many a friend (2 that I know of) there updating on facebook.

Gunner C

Airrace

Hello:

Do you have a link to the facebook update?

Thanks

isuhawkeye

they are friends who are attending NBB.  I dont know about cadet program guy, but I'm not real keen on sharing my friends personal information

CadetProgramGuy

Again, i get a status update from my friends.  There is a FB site for NBB, but don't know if they are updating it or not.

Tater

After about 12 hours flying time we arrived at Oshkosh yesterday afternoon for the famous arrival - "Rock your wings."  We were marshalled by cadets who were looking sharp and professional.  This is a most amazing experience.  Today (and the rest of the week) will be seminars, looking at airplanes, airshows, looking at airplanes, and then looking at airplanes.  Doobie Bros tonight.  All this and we have another 12+ hours of flying to get back home.  Awesome!
Roy Knight
Airplane Driver
Fallbrook Squadron 87
CAWG

Airrace

Yesterday (July 26, 2009) we heard that runway 36L was currently closed at 11:24 AM. A Radio report .... pietenpol main gear folded on touchdown ...  haven't moved the aircraft as of 11:24am

Update at 11:43am... just saw the pientenpol being towed by the tail off the runway.  36L should reopen soon.  Hmmm.... did the tailwheel collapse, instead of the main?  Mains looked fine on the webcam.

Tater

My buddy watched the mishap while waiting for us.  He said it appeared the plane had a crosswind issue and ended up on its back.  The pilot, the only occupant, was unhurt, but his bird was broken.  Talked to cadets from WI,FL and NH working the line.  Finally found the CAP booth but it was after hours.  Great day, interrupted by storms.  Saw the arrival of White Knight 2.  Don't know how they can fly that thing.  Outstanding flying today!
Roy Knight
Airplane Driver
Fallbrook Squadron 87
CAWG

Airrace

I was told the afternoon Airshow was canceled today (Monday) due to rain. The only thing scheduled in the evening was the concert by the Dobby Brothers.

Airrace

Anyone go the Jeff Durham show at Oshkosh tonight (Saturday)?

Gunner C

Quote from: Airrace on July 28, 2009, 03:16:17 AM
I was told the afternoon Airshow was canceled today (Monday) due to rain. The only thing scheduled in the evening was the concert by the Dobby Brothers.

Unless you're talking about someone else, that's the Doobie Brothers.  (Gunner once again showing his extreme seniorship - child of the 60s and 70s).  ;D

pixelwonk

Quote from: Airrace on August 02, 2009, 02:40:38 AM
Anyone go the Jeff Durham show at Oshkosh tonight (Saturday)?

The place was packed and his show was awesome. Plenty of new material. 
He keeeled me.