ground instructor

Started by Tim Medeiros, June 01, 2007, 03:57:13 PM

Tim Medeiros

I've been looking into becoming a ground school instructor, anyone have any tips?  or know the process?
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

airdad

It's in the FARs.  You need to do the FOI and the CFI written exams, then apply through your FSDO.
Len Schindler, Lt Col, CAP
Northeast Region/IGT

Tim Medeiros

Thank you, however I am not noticing anything mentioning the CFI written in Part 61 Subpart I section 61.213 unless you mean the Fundamentals of Instructing test, which from further reading I see is also listed in section 61.183.  I also notice there is an online application, IACRA, on the FAA website, has anyone used this?  Anyone have any tips on passing the exams or notes from experience such as the number of questions, time alotted and number of questions in the question bank?  The question bank on the FAA website only lists CFI, nothing about BGI or AGI

Edit-clearification
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

flynd94

////Rant On////

The BGI, AGI,IGI is the biggest joke, IMHO.  All you have to do is take the FOI, CFI, Instr written test (of course pass), fill out the 8710, march down to your local FSDO, blamo you now can give ground instruction.  You might have no aviation knowledge/background, etc.  The FAA needs to change this

////Rant Off///

Get the Gliem, study the FOI, the CFI written, take the test, fill out the 8710, go to the FSDO and, get your ticket.  As far as I know you can't use IACRA.  If memory serves me correctly the FOI was 100 questions, the AGI was 100 questions and the IGI was 40-50 questions.  The AGI/CFI written is the same test as the commercial written, with the exception of a few extra questions regarding who can teach what.  Its not that hard.  Just study.

Keith
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

mdickinson

Getting a ground instructor certificate is absurdly easy.

What ratings should I try for?
1. Ignore the "Basic Ground Instructor" rating, because it's pointless. The Advanced Ground Instructor (AGI) certificate is just as easy to get, so go for the AGI instead.

2. If you are instrument rated, then you might as well also try for the Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI) rating as well.

What books will I need to study?

For the AGI, you need to study two books: (1) Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) knowledge test prep, by Irvin Gleim, and (2) Flight Instructor knowledge test prep, by Irvin Gleim.  This is because the AGI test uses the same question pool as the CFI test.

For the IGI, you will need to study Instrument Pilot knowledge test prep, by Irvin Gleim. This is because (a) while the FOI is a prerequisite for the IGI rating, you don't have to take it twice, and (b) the IGI test uses the same question pool as the Instrument Rating test.

What do I need before I take the test?

Just work your way through the books mentioned above - they contain the complete test question pool, along with all the correct answers and explanations of everything you need to know to pass.

Once you are ready, have a CFI or AGI give you an endorsement saying they feel you are ready to take the tests. Then call your local computer testing center and make the appointment to take the tests.  You can do them all in one sitting or on separate days.

What do I do once I have taken the necessary tests?

Fill out an FAA form 8710 for each rating you are requesting, and take the form(s) along with your test certificates to your local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO). Give the person behind the desk your forms & certificates and they will give you back a temporary Ground Instructor certificate! Your permanent (wallet-sized) one will arrive in the mail about 8-10 weeks later.

What can I do with my shiny new Ground Instructor certificate?

Not much! You can teach ground school: private, commercial, CFI, and (assuming you are IGI) instrument. You can give people endorsements that will allow them to take the computer knowledge tests. And, er... you can sign your name with ", AGI, IGI" after it on aviation-related internet forums!

And, of course, if you are in CAP, your AGI rating qualifies you for mission-related skill promotion to 1st Lt (IGI qualifies you for Captain)... if your unit commander believes in that sort of thing.  :-\

Good luck!

flyguy06

He didnt mean to say the CFI written. He was just saying that because he thought you understaood. You have to take the FOI and the Ground Instructor written. Now, the Ground Instructor writtten is from the same test bank as the CFI written with 20 Ground related questions. Its the same test basically. aTake and pass those then go to your local FSDO and get a temp certificate until the FAA mails you your permenant one. Its a good licesns to have in my opinion.

Pace

And having your AGI or IGI certificate is also one of the requirements for a gold seal CFI certificate. (which is probably the only reason anyone around my area bothers to get a GI certificate)

-AGI/IGI
Lt Col, CAP

flymore

After you study and think you know it all, go to exams4pilots.org and take a few practice tests just for the fun of it. You may find you either know more than you thought or the other way around!
flymore