Alaska C-172S crash into buildings (fatal)

Started by tonyairplane, December 29, 2015, 10:07:35 PM

tonyairplane

We have been told not to discuss this so I hereby removed my comment.

Hmmm.

THRAWN

For the same reason that people start multiple threads on the same topic. They refuse to read and just react. If you're asked about it, refer inquiries to the proper person and be done with it. It's a fluid situation. It's an open federal investigation. When the investigation is complete, you'll be able to read it. Until then, accept the release for what it is and move on.

Mods, lock or merge help!
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

tonyairplane

THRAWN

Quote from: tonyairplane on December 29, 2015, 10:19:37 PM
I wasn't referring to media asking questions, just family friends co-workers.  You must know what I meant.

If there is an other thread in this section, i didn't see it.

You handle it like any other crash that you know nothing about. Just say "I dont know anything more than you do. Heck of a thing...."

You should check the most recent topics before opening a new one. There are several ways to do that.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

tonyairplane

LTC Don

Quote from: tonyairplane on December 29, 2015, 10:19:37 PM
I wasn't referring to media asking questions, just family friends co-workers.  You must know what I meant.

If there is an other thread in this section, i didn't see it.

No worries.

Underneath your username in the upper right corner of the screen is a link: 'Show unread posts since last visit.' Always go there first to see what's been posted in all sections.

:)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

jeders

Having read a number of the stories online, the press release that NHQ put out is about as long as most stories. Also, considering that no one really knows yet what happened and that there is still a lot of information that shouldn't be released due to an on-going investigation, I find national's press release to be about as long as it needs to be.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

tonyairplane

lordmonar

Quote from: tonyairplane on December 30, 2015, 12:37:28 AM
I strongly disagree.

The statement that they put out leads to all kinds of guessing - we in CAP don't even know what it means.

They somehow quickly determined that he was "not authorized to fly the aircraft", and decided to include it in the press release.

Why?
None of your business. If anyone asks you about it, refer them to your wing PIO.   

It is that simple.   
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

tonyairplane

Ed Bos

It's frustrating when someone feels like they deserve to have more information about a situation like this, and don't have access to it. I totally sympathize.

I'm sure more information will be released when it's appropriate to do so. Speculating on here or other social media is not good OPSEC.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

tonyairplane

Panzerbjorn

By putting that blurb in the press release, it does a couple of things.  First, it tells all of us that the sortie wasn't released or authorized.  Second, it gives just simple facts that NHQ can confirm at this time, and that is, the flight was not authorized.

You can't expect anyone to have all the facts of what happened when NTSB is even still investigating.  The press release tells you everything you need to know.  One of our own perished in a flight that wasn't authorized.  Give the investigators a chance to investigate.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

umpirecali

What it does is shifts the blame a bit. Because it was not an authorized flight in WMIRS, instead of the media asking, "was CAP to blame for this accident", The story is now "why was this pilot flying when he (presumably) wasn't allowed to". Also there is the insurance aspect, that if the flight wasn't released, it isn't covered under our insurance.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

EMT-83

Perhaps the wording could have been different, but the statement does imply that the crash wouldn't have occurred if CAP regulations were being followed.

Any comments by members should be limited to CAP flight safety and maintenance programs. Imagine that your child is a new cadet with his first O-flight scheduled for this weekend. Would that type of information be important to you?

FlyerJosh

Given the size, scope, and expertise within the organization, as well as the strong ties to the Air Force, it is highly possible that CAP will be an official party to the NTSB investigation. As such they are VERY restricted in what they can release publicly or comment on.

Like all other accidents, details and facts will come in due time, but there is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

jeders

Quote from: tonyairplane on December 29, 2015, 10:07:35 PM

Hmmm.

Just so you know, nuking your posts is a violation of site rules and the mods may, and hopefully will, restore them. If you're not supposed to discuss it, then you should think about that first. Once something is said though, it cannot be unsaid.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

tonyairplane

We got the email saying not to discuss this after I made my posts.

But thanks for pointing out the forum's rules.  We need guys such as you in CAP, too.

WhiteWings66

From KTUU:

"FBI officials stressed that Demarest had no military connections and was strictly a Civil Air Patrolman."

Not sure we have been called that before.

KTUU also has more info on the story - apparently the police had been at his house on a domestic call at about 10pm the night before, then early the next morning he takes the CAP plane and crashes into his wife's place of work.

Still, not too nice how CAP's first reaction (within hours, before the investigation is barely underway) was to throw the pilot under the bus - whether for liability or publicity reasons - not real nice.  They could have just confirmed his name and membership and let it go at that until the investigation warranted further disclosures.

Chappie

Needless to say yesterday was a difficult day for our membership.  Within minutes of reading a post in the Lobby...the PCR HC and AKWG HC was notified as to the tragic event.  Word was also passed along to the members of the Chaplain Corps. Throughout the day, we were working of behalf of our membership to provide support, comfort and counsel.  Please feel free to contact anyone of us in the Chaplain Corps if you need our assistance....we are here to serve.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)