Search Patterns in Foreflight

Started by Tom Ireland, December 23, 2012, 05:13:49 AM

Tom Ireland

Hi All,

I recently created a spreadsheet using the numbers app to plot search patterns in Foreflight. Let me know what you think:

File here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s780woyjdnx9c8j/SAR%20V02.1.numbers

Cheers,

Tom

Huey Driver

Could you also upload a version saved as an Excel spreadsheet for us non-Mac and iPad people? (If it's not too much hassle)
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

a2capt

The data is probably specific to ForeFlight, and if you don't have an iPad, you certainly don't have ForeFlight. :)

Otherwise it's just Lat-Long and you can do that..

Tom Ireland

Quote from: JerseyCadet on December 24, 2012, 02:13:00 AM
Could you also upload a version saved as an Excel spreadsheet for us non-Mac and iPad people? (If it's not too much hassle)

I can but the file looses some functions as it was created in Numbers. As a2capt was saying the string of coordinates is specific to Foreflight, although it could be modified to suit another program. This works great with the iPhone also.

Huey Driver

I was trying to get it working on my iPhone's Foreflight, but Santa treated me to an iPad, so I'll just use it on there! Anyway, thanks for the neat tool.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Dolphin Driver

Tom, I've been trying to do this for a while. Now, how do you translate the results into foreflight's flight plan?

Tom Ireland

Quote from: Dolphin Driver on January 01, 2013, 02:24:43 PM
Tom, I've been trying to do this for a while. Now, how do you translate the results into foreflight's flight plan?

Hi,

In Numbers, select the output you need and tap 'copy':

What you copy looks something like this:

KSAV 32.0000N/80.0000W 32.0833N/80.0000W 32.0833N/80.0167W 32.0000N/80.0167W 32.0000N/80.0333W 32.0833N/80.0333W 32.0833N/80.0500W 32.0000N/80.0500W 32.0000N/80.0667W 32.0833N/80.0667W 32.0833N/80.0833W 32.0000N/80.0833W 32.0000N/80.1000W 32.0833N/80.1000W 32.0833N/80.1167W 32.0000N/80.1167W KSAV

Then paste the output into Foreflight here:

Hope this helps.

Tom

Dolphin Driver

Brilliant!  It was worth paying $10 for the numbers app.  :clap:

Users should keep in mind that this program equates 1 minute of longitude with 1nm.  But in north America, it's slightly less. So your pattern will look stretched vertically. This is probably ok as CAP seems to allow this to simplify navigation and keep search areas within a grid system. But if you're doing a sector search, it would be optimal to keep all legs at true nautical mile.

Tom, great work.  If you have the time, any chance you can add a toggle to keep all legs at true nautical mile?

I've also emailed foreflight and asked them to add this feature. They said they want to build it but have no delivery date. I'd encourage everyone in this forum email them and put the pressure on. The email link is in the app somewhere  WingX already has this feature and had I known, I'd have gone with them.

The SARProAir app also has search patterns and it keeps all legs at true nm. But has no ability to import to foreflight.

Thanks for your Work, Tom.

Tom Ireland

Quote from: Dolphin Driver on January 02, 2013, 06:17:04 PM
Users should keep in mind that this program equates 1 minute of longitude with 1nm.  But in north America, it's slightly less. So your pattern will look stretched vertically. This is probably ok as CAP seems to allow this to simplify navigation and keep search areas within a grid system. But if you're doing a sector search, it would be optimal to keep all legs at true nautical mile.

Tom, great work.  If you have the time, any chance you can add a toggle to keep all legs at true nautical mile?

Thanks for the compliment.

I was thinking about this issue, I more or less have the solution upstairs but it'll take some time to apply to the spreadsheet. The trouble is, depending on your latitude the conversion you have to make from minute to nm varies... This means that in every search pattern the coordinates will have different conversions to compensate... I'll figure it out at some point!  :)

Another detail to make you aware of, the headings will be based off true north as opposed to magnetic.

Quote from: Dolphin Driver on January 02, 2013, 06:17:04 PM
I've also emailed foreflight and asked them to add this feature. They said they want to build it but have no delivery date. I'd encourage everyone in this forum email them and put the pressure on. The email link is in the app somewhere  WingX already has this feature and had I known, I'd have gone with them.

I talked with them also. Keep the pressure on!!

Cheers,

Tom.

JeffDG

You could probably do the same with a Google Drive spreadsheet and the Drive app (as opposed to the Numbers app)...I've been using it a lot, plus you could very quickly share it.  You can take the spreadsheet offline as well and have it with you in the plane.

a2capt

Except that for $10 you have an all encompassed solution usable when there's no interwebs. Once you've got the data entry down, you can put that stuff in pretty fast.

Robborsari

Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on January 03, 2013, 03:37:48 PM
Except that for $10 you have an all encompassed solution usable when there's no interwebs. Once you've got the data entry down, you can put that stuff in pretty fast.
The Google Spreadsheet is pretty comprehensive itself, and by clicking a little button, you have full offline access to the file, plus the ability to edit it seamlessly from multiple devices simultaneously.

Tom Ireland

Tom Ireland

Quote from: JeffDG on January 03, 2013, 07:08:48 PM
Quote from: a2capt on January 03, 2013, 03:37:48 PM
The Google Spreadsheet is pretty comprehensive itself, and by clicking a little button, you have full offline access to the file, plus the ability to edit it seamlessly from multiple devices simultaneously.

I didn't block or hide anything on the spreadsheet so feel free to alter/adapt it to other software.

Tom

Tom Ireland

Dolphin Driver

Tom,
It works great. Thanks for all your work. This will go a long way towards reducing workload during a demanding case.

starshippe

re: tom's comment about true vs mag bearings.

i teach setting the dg to true vs mag any time a lat/lon based pattern is to be flown, because lat and lon are referenced to true north.

take ur regular parallel track search, for instance. i teach eyes looking outside the aircraft as much as possible, with glances down to the dg to insure the proper "true" heading is being flown, and infrequent glances to the gps to check and see how this heading is doing, in keeping us close to the desired line. i run the gps so that it is just showing lat and lon.

this way, as the course is reversed, the wind correction is the only correction needed to be applied to the proper course heading. for instance, winds out of the north may require a 4 degree crab angle to be alternatively added and subtracted on each leg. with a magnetically referenced dg, the (westerly, in our case) variation has to be added, and then the crab angle alternatively added and subtracted. this additional mental work to me is unnecessary.

i see no advantage to flying patterns with the dg set to magnetic north.

what do u think?

bill

Buzz

Slightly away from the topic, but I'm considering whether to pay for Foreflight or WingX.  I have WingX on my iPa(i)d Mini, but didn't get a lot of time to play with it during the 30-day test drive period.

My flying is ALL VFR, either in my 150 or in my Stits Playboy.  I've seen comments that FF is not as capable for VFR as WingX. 

Any comments about either?

Cliff_Chambliss

Buzz:
  Get the 30 day trail version of Foreflight and try it then decide for youself.

In our Aero Club the instructors are about evenly divided between the two.  Both are outstanding platforms and deliver outstanding product.  Both are pilot friendly, the 'Honchos' at both companies are easily approachable and responsive to user questions. 
I have used both, like both, and recommend both.  So in the end it will be your personal preference.

So back to the opening line, get the trial version of both, play with and fly with both, and then pick whichever one suits your needs best.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.