Main Menu

CAP SENIOR OATH

Started by SAR-EMT1, March 23, 2007, 09:01:48 AM

Should SMs recite an oath at meetings, Would this help with Professionalism?

Yes With Tweaking
Yes Sir!
No
Dont even go there!
Unsure

O-Rex

Boy, that spin-off thread got nasty, didn't it? :o  Retract the claws, folks!

Initial oath: why not? Ever read the "Oath of Application" on the back of the form 12?  Seems more like Terms & Conditions of Membership.  It's a good experience for folks who have never been in the Military, a frameable addition to the "love-me" wall for those into that sorth of thing, and prehaps even a little "welcome aboard" for those who have.

Cost to the organization: minimal

Oath every time you get promoted?  I don't think it's necessary, but I think at least the pinning/sliding-on of rank by some officio is appropriate: I've seen very few public promotions, other than Wing/Region CC's.  My own promotion "pomp & circumstance" in CAP has always consisted of finding my actual date of promotion via CAPWATCH, then clicking to the approporiate website to buy the new acoutrements, and maybe even a celebratory cold one, if it's in the 'fridge.

DNall

Both the formal commissioning document & verbal oath a military officer take are not the legal things which grant them power or position. In fact they aren't real important as legally binding things. However, a little pomp & circumstance, meaningless or otherwise, goes a very long way to obliugate people to duty, boost morale, and unify the team. That's why we add some made up formality for the benefit of our officers, and it really rechargeds them in a big way. This it the text we use:

Framed certificate:
QuoteThe National Commander of Civil Air Patrol

To all who shall see these presents, greeting:

Know ye, that reposing special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, fidelity, and abilities of First Lieutenant XYZ, I do appoint to date as such from the 12th day of the 12th month two thousand and six. This officer will therefore carefully and diligently discharge the duties of the office to which appointed by doing and performing all manner of things there unto belonging.

And I do strictly charge and require those officers and other personnel of lesser rank to render such obedience as is due an officer of this grade and position. And this officer is to observer and follow such orders and directives, from time to time, as may be given by the President of the United States of America, or other superior officers acting in accordance with the laws of the United States of America and regulations of the Air Force and of the Civil Air Patrol.

This commission to continue in force during the pleasure of the Civil Air Patrol, for the time being, under the provision of those Public Laws relating to the Auxiliary of the United States Air Force.

Done at Maxwell AFB, Alabama, this 12th day December in the year of our Lord 2006, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and Thirtieth.

By Order of the National Commander
Major General Anthony Pineda, CAP

Bob
Squadron Commander
Unit

Promotion order:
QuoteAttention To Orders:

The National Commander has reposed special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, fidelity, and professional excellence of XYZ. In view of these qualities, his demonstrated leadership potential, and dedicated service to the Auxiliary of the United States Air Force, he is therefore promoted from Second Lieutenant to First Lieutenant, with an effective date of 12 December, 2006.

Lt XYZ, would you step forward & be sworn.

I, ________________________, having been appointed a First Lieutenant, Civil Air Patrol, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter, SO HELP ME GOD.

SJFedor

Quote from: DNall on March 26, 2007, 07:38:38 AM

QuoteThe National Commander of Civil Air Patrol

Know ye, that reposing special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, fidelity, and abilities of First Lieutenant XYZ, I do appoint to date as such from the 12th day of the 12th month two thousand and six. This officer will therefore carefully and diligently discharge the duties of the office to which appointed by doing and performing all manner of things there unto belonging.

And I do strictly charge and require those officers and other personnel of lesser rank to render such obedience as is due an officer of this grade and position. And this officer is to observer and follow such orders and directives, from time to time, as may be given by the President of the United States of America, or other superior officers acting in accordance with the laws of the United States of America and regulations of the Air Force and of the Civil Air Patrol.

This commission to continue in force during the pleasure of the Civil Air Patrol, for the time being, under the provision of those Public Laws relating to the Auxiliary of the United States Air Force.

Done at Maxwell AFB, Alabama, this 12th day December in the year of our Lord 2006, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and Thirtieth.

Major General Anthony Pineda, CAP

Bob
Squadron Commander
Unit

Who's Anthony Pineda? TP's italian cousin that says "fuhgetaboutit"?

:P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

arajca

Quote from: O-Rex on March 25, 2007, 04:11:44 PM
Oath every time you get promoted?  I don't think it's necessary, but I think at least the pinning/sliding-on of rank by some officio is appropriate: I've seen very few public promotions, other than Wing/Region CC's.  My own promotion "pomp & circumstance" in CAP has always consisted of finding my actual date of promotion via CAPWATCH, then clicking to the approporiate website to buy the new acoutrements, and maybe even a celebratory cold one, if it's in the 'fridge.
We 'pin' seniors the same way we pin cadets. At our monthly awards ceremony, the cadets get pinned, then the seniors - whether they like it or not  >:D. On occasion we have a VIP (WG/CC, WG/DCP, ANG/CC - retired, etc) do it, when one is available.

afgeo4

Quote from: O-Rex on March 25, 2007, 04:11:44 PM
Boy, that spin-off thread got nasty, didn't it? :o  Retract the claws, folks!

Initial oath: why not? Ever read the "Oath of Application" on the back of the form 12?  Seems more like Terms & Conditions of Membership.  It's a good experience for folks who have never been in the Military, a frameable addition to the "love-me" wall for those into that sorth of thing, and prehaps even a little "welcome aboard" for those who have.

Cost to the organization: minimal

Considering the amount of work we all put into to get those promotions, it's kinda sad. I would strongly suggest to your commander to reevaluate his retention program.
GEORGE LURYE

airdad

I'm kind of leery about the oath every meeting.  My feeling is that either you take it seriously, or you don't.  If you do, there's no need to repeat it every meeting, and if you don't repeating words won't make it so.
I do, however strongly support the idea of public promotions of seniors.
First of all, it's good for the cadets to see that the seniors who worked hard for their promotions are recognized (and good for retention, eh George?) and isn't that the lead by example we're always stressing?  The thought of anonymous promotioons is so galling, I don't want to think about it-it's counterproductive at the very least.  Every unit I have ever been associated with (4 squadrons, a group and wing HQ) have made it a point to publically recognize promoting seniors.  And yes, I could certainly go for a signed certificate acknowledging the new position and reinforcing the responsibilities thereof
Len Schindler, Lt Col, CAP
Northeast Region/IGT

O-Rex

Quote from: afgeo4 on March 26, 2007, 04:35:37 PM
Considering the amount of work we all put into to get those promotions, it's kinda sad. I would strongly suggest to your commander to reevaluate his retention program.

It's the last one that counts: I may delay my promotion to Lt. Col to coincide with our Wing Conference: I have 18 months to think about it.....

I too pushed a mil-style promotion certificate up the chain some years back, almost word-for-word what we have seen on this thread........to no avail.

Another thing that chaps my "six" is change-of-command ceremonies:  many wings do them at events above the level of the command, i.e., Squadron CoC's are done at Group Command/Staff Calls.  I caused a ruckus when I insisted that my assumption of command be done at a squadron meeting.

"What for??" the Admin Officer asked.

"If you have to ask, you just don't get it" I replied.

RogueLeader

Quote from: DNall on March 26, 2007, 07:38:38 AM

Lt XYZ, would you step forward & be sworn.

I, ________________________, having been appointed a First Lieutenant, Civil Air Patrol, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter, SO HELP ME GOD.

Amen, hoo-ah and Uh-rah
Semper VI
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

If I could say again... little pomp and circumstance goes a long way:

Form Sq, call member from ranks, have him stand to your right, Say:

Quote"Attention To Orders:

The National Commander has reposed special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, fidelity, and professional excellence of XYZ. In view of these qualities, his demonstrated leadership potential, and dedicated service to the Auxiliary of the United States Air Force, he is therefore promoted from Second Lieutenant to First Lieutenant, with an effective date of 12 December, 2006.

(pick up framed certificate & continue)

The commission reads:

Major General Tony Pineda, CAP

(hand certificate to DC on your left, Half-right face & continue)

Lt XYZ, would you raise your right hand & be sworn?

Congrats Lt
(shake hands, pin grade, people clap, hand framed certificate, exchange salutes, back to ranks... carry on Sq business)

Please take a second to join me in congatulating Lt XYZ once again on his well-deserved promotion, and in expressing our our heart-felt sympathy for the increased responsibility that comes with it. (laugh) Dismissed!"