Main Menu

1st CAP Meeting

Started by C/MSgt Lunsford, May 05, 2009, 05:11:27 AM

IceNine

Very close gent's but your a bit off.  Lets get him started on the right foot with ALL of the right text shall we.

Quote from: CAPR 52-16"I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program, and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly, and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state, and nation."
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

BTCS1*

LOL that's a good idea! Hmm apparently I only remember my oath perfectly while wearing a uniform.... and once it comes off...what oath? ;-D LMAO BTW, when in doubt bout anything cadet program, check 52-16
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

IceNine

Nope, I'm sure you say it that way all the time.

I did back in my day, and then several years later when I took on Deputy of Cadet it was a good 3 months of constant correction until I could get the cadets to say it correctly.

Don't feel bad you're in good company probably in the 20+ thousand range

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

C/MSgt Lunsford

Wright Brothers #13915

C/MSgt Lunsford

"I pledge to serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state and nation."

-CAP Cadet Oath

Wright Brothers #13915

BTCS1*

Just wondering what got you interested in CAP? Some cadets join for the ES, some the flying, some the millitary(like) part...

IceNine

Quote from: Lunsford on May 06, 2009, 03:30:30 AM
"I pledge to serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly and advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself to be of service to my community, state and nation."

-CAP Cadet Oath

NO!!!!!  Read my quote from the regulation above.  don't start down the path of getting this wrong from the start.

If anyone has a problem with you saying the right way, the way I posted above, Show them the regulation.

You are getting "I pledge to" in your head should be "I pledge that I will" 

May seem minor, but it's not right regardless

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

C/MSgt Lunsford

Ok. Thanks for the warning. Wouldn't want to get my promotion blocked because of that.  :(

Wright Brothers #13915

BTCS1*

LOL don't worry about it, along the way the proper oath will be drilled into you by your squadrons cadet staff! >:D LOL

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: BTCS1* on May 06, 2009, 03:48:04 AM
LOL don't worry about it, along the way the proper oath will be drilled into you by your squadrons cadet staff! >:D LOL

Oh. Boy. I can't wait.  ;D Just kidding. Well I get to goto Encampment (I think that is what it is called) WV covers half of it so all we have to pay is $30. Hooah.

Wright Brothers #13915

BTCS1*

That's great bout encampment(that is what its called)! But (at least in NY) don't you need to be airman to attend/ a member to apply? Hope your paperwork goes through fast! Then getting your first stripe is a piece of cake!

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on May 06, 2009, 03:50:15 AM
Quote from: BTCS1* on May 06, 2009, 03:48:04 AM

Oh. Boy. I can't wait.  ;D Just kidding. Well I get to go to Encampment (I think that is what it is called) WV covers half of it so all we have to pay is $30. Hooah.

If its actually an "encampment", which by regs has a much more structured, audited curriculum than a normal activity, you'll have to have completed your Curry Achievement before you can go. 

This is the first achievement of the Cadet Program, gets you your first stripe, and will in theory confirm you've learned basic uniform wear, drill, and other important things about being a Cadet.  It generally takes 1-2 months to get there.

Most wings will allow you to apply before you complete it, but if you don't make it in time, you're not supposed to be allowed to participate.  Generally most Wings have one encampment per year.

Also, in reference to your earlier post, the highest cadet "enlisted" or "NCO" grade we have is "Cadet Chief Master Sergeant".  A "Senior Chief Master Sergeant" doesn't exist in CAP, and about the closet thing to that you'd find is a "Senior Chief Petty Officer" in the US Navy.

As Ice says, better to get things right walking in the door.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2009, 03:56:37 AM
Also, in reference to your earlier post, the highest cadet "enlisted" or "NCO" grade we have is "Chief Master Sergent". A "Senior Chief Master Sergent" doesn't exist in CAP, and about the closet thing to that you'd find is a "Senior Chief Petty Officer" in the US Navy.

http://ohwg.cap.gov/ranks/

This is the rank you get your Armstrong Achievement!

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on May 06, 2009, 03:59:24 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2009, 03:56:37 AM
Also, in reference to your earlier post, the highest cadet "enlisted" or "NCO" grade we have is "Chief Master Sergent". A "Senior Chief Master Sergent" doesn't exist in CAP, and about the closet thing to that you'd find is a "Senior Chief Petty Officer" in the US Navy.

http://ohwg.cap.gov/ranks/

That website is incorrect.

This one is correct:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadet_grades_and_insignia_of_the_Civil_Air_Patrol

Quote from: Lunsford on May 06, 2009, 03:59:24 AM
This is the rank you get your Armstrong Achievement!

No, the Goddard accompanies C/CMSgt, you get the Armstrong between Chief and C/2d Lt, which accompanies the Mitchell Award.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Are you seriously attempting to argue that you are correct on this.

You said.

Quote from: Lunsford on May 06, 2009, 02:24:23 AM
H I made friends with a High Ranking Cadet Senior Chief Master Sergeant. Wow that was a mouth load.  ;D

It should be Chief Master Sergeant...

Master Sergeant, Senior Master Sergeant, and Chief Master Sergeant.

2 ears, 2 eyes, 1 mouth.....

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

C/MSgt Lunsford

Ok. I was mistaken then. (Didn't try to sound smart) Usually I would trust a .gov website over a Wikipedia website. But if I was wrong than I apologize for arguing back.  :( 

Wright Brothers #13915

IceNine

Armstrong is a non-promotional achievement.  You get nothing except the ability to take the Mitchell in 2 months, and a ribbon

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on May 06, 2009, 04:05:30 AM
When do you get the Armstrong Achievement then?

Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2009, 04:01:31 AM... the Goddard accompanies C/CMSgt, you get the Armstrong between Chief and C/2d Lt, which accompanies the Mitchell Award.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Lunsford

Ok. I was mistaken then. (Didn't try to sound smart) Usually I would trust a .gov website over a Wikipedia website. But if I was wrong than I apologize for arguing back.  :( 

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on May 06, 2009, 04:12:22 AM

Considering the amateur quality of that site, I wouldn't.  Also, bear in mind that the wing.cap.gov websites are just run by regular members with little to no vetting by national.

That Wikipedia site is regularly edited for content by hundreds of members, and overall is pretty accurate.

I would suggest you spend some time with CAPR 52-16, as well as other documents that can be found here: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/forms_publications__regulations/

The CAP Knowledgebase is also a good source of info:  http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/home.php?p_sid=tuUck5xj

Most of this will become much clearer once you join and get your starter kit, and spend some time with your unit leadership.

"That Others May Zoom"