Main Menu

Calling all Nerds!

Started by winterg, September 02, 2015, 01:04:09 AM

jdh

Quote from: winterg on September 04, 2015, 10:42:39 PM
Quote from: jdh on September 04, 2015, 10:14:14 PM
I just picked up all the ships from the newest wave, and the Raider is a little disappointing. I was expecting it to be larger, its the same size as the Corvette.

That's probably about the biggest ships will get in X-Wing.

Just going off of scale though I would have expected some difference in size. If you look at the same ships in the Armada game the raider is about 1.25-1.5x the size of the Corvette.

PHall

So, do you guys observe today, Force Friday, as a holiday? >:D

winterg

I got a pretty good haul for Force Friday. Including my ticket for a private screening of The Force Awakens. 

Tim Medeiros

Well, as for my non-CAP nerd hobbies, I game, mostly games from Blizzard Entertainment, but they are still games.

I'm actually branching out into public acceptance of my nerdness this year by going to the Heroes of the Storm Americas Championship on the 19th and to BlizzCon in November.  I may get pictures.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Jon Moser

Lok'tar Ogar!

World of Warcraft...I spend too much of what free time I have in that game...

I also play Elite:Dangerous, but I'm not home to grab any of the screenshots I have of my Eagle.
JONATHAN R. MOSER, Capt, CAP
Director of IT
Southwest Region

Panache

The wife and I did Blizzcon a couple of years ago, back when the Blizzard Bear Mount and the inflatable Bubble Hearth and Frostmourne was in the Goodie Bag.

Right now we're spending our MMORPG time in FFXIV:ARR.

Garibaldi

Since this has turned into roughly a uniform topic, thought I'd chime in. I wish I had time to get the trooper gear. And the money. I would probably wear it to meetings (sorry, Spam!)
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

jdh

Quote from: Panache on September 06, 2015, 03:26:41 AM
The wife and I did Blizzcon a couple of years ago, back when the Blizzard Bear Mount and the inflatable Bubble Hearth and Frostmourne was in the Goodie Bag.

Right now we're spending our MMORPG time in FFXIV:ARR.

I used to play a lot of Blizzard's games and was even one of their Alpha/Beta testers from 2004-2012 when they decided that since I had not played WoW actively in about 6 months they were deactivating all of my accounts and I would have to buy new accounts for all the games to get my characters back.

But I play a lot of FFXIV, I'm on Cactar server.

Spam

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 06, 2015, 02:48:06 PM
Since this has turned into roughly a uniform topic, thought I'd chime in. I wish I had time to get the trooper gear. And the money. I would probably wear it to meetings (sorry, Spam!)

Of course, Kevin, you've left yourself open to the Leia line:  "Aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper"? where the best cosplay prospects for me are Chewie and other XXL size outfits. I have to give props to anyone who chooses a JMS character from B5 as his screen name. I read that he made an announcement at Comic-Con last week that he's starting a reboot of Babylon 5, finally.

I've worn my share of odd outfits in my time, being a former Atlanta Star Trek Society member from '81, and former staff at a number of Cons from Dixie Trek to the Atlanta Fantasy Fair to Vulcon down in FL. I kept running across CAP members at all of them; what a dissolute lot we all are. The challenge for me was to, as Shatner said on SNL, "get a life", and turn what could have been an embarrassing social disorder into a productive and rewarding career path in aerospace! So, when cadets make references like "don't blink" and are surprised when I get it, I counter with a Whovian reference from Pertwee or Baker (either), and go Old Skool on them, yo.

V/R,
Spam

PS Han shot first.

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

LegacyAirman

Quote from: Spam on September 06, 2015, 06:36:29 PM
I've worn my share of odd outfits in my time, being a former Atlanta Star Trek Society member from '81, and former staff at a number of Cons from Dixie Trek to the Atlanta Fantasy Fair to Vulcon down in FL.

So, the name has been resurrected. (Vul-Con in New Orleans, 1973 - 198?) I hope the reboot for B5 is good. I haven't been digging most reboots, just go do something original!

winterg

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Brad on September 06, 2015, 08:05:00 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on September 03, 2015, 05:33:27 PM
So true, if I had the money... I'd have armor too.  :)

Reserve Pilot, only about $150 if done right.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TI_reserve_pilot

Is this the new CAP corporate uniform?  >:D

Eaker Guy

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 07, 2015, 01:44:30 AM
Quote from: Brad on September 06, 2015, 08:05:00 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on September 03, 2015, 05:33:27 PM
So true, if I had the money... I'd have armor too.  :)

Reserve Pilot, only about $150 if done right.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TI_reserve_pilot

Is this the new CAP corporate uniform?  >:D

Awesome! Good thing I'll be turning senior in a year or two! Can't wait to wear that to the meetings.  >:D

winterg

Brad

Quote from: winterg on September 07, 2015, 02:06:20 AM

If Vanguard wouldn't sit on me I'd so do a merch run on that on the Legion boards.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Spam

"Fear will keep the local squadrons in line" - Grand Moff Vanguard

"The more you tighten your grip, Vanguard, the more Squadrons will slip through your fingers" - Princess (Brad) Lee-Ah

V/R,
Spam

Holding Pattern

It is time you witnessed the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL Bureaucracy!

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Paul_AK

I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll get off my lazy butt and start piecing together some armor so I can get in on all that Star Warsy goodness....
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376