Expansion of gocivilairpatrol.com

Started by jimmydeanno, October 01, 2008, 03:25:26 AM

jimmydeanno

Major Corrales,

I don't think that what people are saying is that CAP NHQ has to do all the legwork out in the field or that all CAP advertising, etc needs to be done at the national level.

What does need to happen is that CAP NHQ has to develop a specific image that it wants to portray to the world.  It needs to create brand recognition so that someone who picks up a flyer knows what they are holding.  They need to develop standards for the use of it's logo, specific color layouts and materials that match that scheme.

When was the last time you picked up a red white and blue Coca Cola can?  Never, because that's pepsi.  The only difference is we don't even know who we are.  There isn't communication (like you said above) between the PAO folks at NHQ and those "doing the legwork."  Those "doing the legwork" need to know what they are selling and how their efforts need to focus around selling that image.  Leaving every unit to develop their own materials with different standards, logos, colors, formats, skill levels, etc is extremely unprofessional and counter-productive to what every major corporation and non-profit in the world does.

The new website is getting dogged, not because it looks bad or isn't functional, but because it is trying to mix things that the most successful recruiting agencies in the world don't do.  The US Military doesn't use the same site to recruit that it does to have their members work off of. 

The BSA (who's membership is nearly 100X ours) have separate websites and cohesive nationally produced materials.  Every piece of literature matches the scheme they have on their website and visa versa.

I think that you are confusing the need to develop a marketing image with getting our word out.  The image needs to come first, then the marketing people need to make the image clear to those who are doing the public affairs stuff.

Our marketing skill is so limited that if you notice there isn't even a "donate here" button on cap.gov.  Go to BSA, Girl Scouts, Red Cross, or any other non-profit and see what you find.

We need a marketing image.  We need to have our literature have the same look and feel as everything else we do.  Our website doesn't do that, our literature doesn't do that and the 1,500 different flavors locally created don't do that either.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

cnitas

Everyone is always trying to save money.  All too often those 'savings' are at the expense of the program, when I believe it should be funded and produced way over the local level of operation.  
For example, Avery business cards - all done locally off of my squadron's computer, Websites slapped together by someone who just read HTML for dummies.  
And yes, my squadron has both of these.  So I agree with Maj. Carrales that in the absence of leadership, you need to step it up locally.  Unfortunatly, I do not have a graphic artist or web designer on my squadron staff.

My problem with this 'solution' is that the end result of a lot of hard work by individuals scattered across the country with little to no guidance is not acceptable for an organization as large and as well funded as CAP.

Just saw Jimmydean's message.  I agree 100%.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Pylon

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 04:58:51 PM
Here is where the reality encounters lofty ideals.  I believe that an organized CAP overall plan is needed, however, lack of such a plan should not preclude action.

A lack of a plan should always preclude action. 

"Hey, lets jump feet first into this project, spend money and commit resources with no plan or vision!  YAY!" is not the way to go about national-level activities.  You're confusing having a communications and marketing plan preventing sending out media releases at the local level or something; that's not what I'm saying.

QuoteReality, most units do not even have a PAO.  They exist in isolation and their deed go unreported.

This is a separate issue.  Public Relations is supported by marketing and communications efforts but they are not one in the same.  At the same time, PAO's at the unit level need better support from NHQ in the way of training and tools.

If John Doe, an operating engineer and father of Cadet Doe, joins the squadron to help out and gets assigned as PAO, there needs to be a better guide on how to do the job.  This doesn't exist.  Good template, ready-to-use media releases and pre-canned human interest stories for when news is slow are all good things that unit PAO's need but don't have.  The existing PAO toolkit is nothing more than a collection of random marketing materials and videos -- I never found it helpful.

However, this issue is separate from the branding and identity issues and they could both be worked on simulanteously.  With the exception of the letterhead and the boilerplate text about CAP, the local unit PAO materials wouldn't be affected by branding and identity.   So you're argument that focusing on one makes us abandon another is irrelevant.

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 04:58:51 PMReality, most PAOs are on their own with little help or contact with other PAOs.  There are no real broadcast quality tech assets, so a PAO has to produce everything locally.

Exactly.  I agree.  It's a big problem at NHQ needs to produce professional tools for the local unit PAO's to use.  But materials and communications vehicles like commercials/PSAs, printed pieces, etc should not be developped until a solid identity is developed and in place.

QuoteCAP is not a "multi-national" corporation, nor does it have the resources of one. 

Again, I go back to my quote.  You're not expected to understand this, Sparky.  There's no test at the end of the thread.  You don't even need to know it exists, especially if it's working properly.  The point being is that leaders of major organizations understand the importance of it, and those in the field see that it's being done poorly.   We understand the sometimes intangible unrealized gain that CAP is suffering from because of our lack of cohesive branding and fractured identity.  This is not "jargon" - this is how businesses work.  You'll learn this stuff if you go to school for business or work in one.

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 04:58:51 PMThat being said, money has been sepent on such matters.  The results, from professionals, were ridiculed by you people and I would go as far as to say that nothing will get past that.

Hiring Joe Schmoe from down the street who has been making a medicore living with their consulting business working for some small potatoes clients is not the same as hiring professionals.  Money has been spent, yes.  It doesn't mean that it was spent wisely.

What I'm recommending could probably be done with the right volunteers for no cost at all.  But National CAP does not draw upon the professional backgrounds of its volunteers. 

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 04:58:51 PMI've been a PAO in the field since 1998.  I've seen "America's Best Kept Secret," "Missions for America" and "More than meets the Skies."  I was at the first PAO Academy and it was told to me that the idea was that all CAP was local.

Being a volunteer public affairs position for a local organization chapter is different than being a professional in the field.  I got asked to be a volunteer treasurer for a local club; if I served as treasurer for 10 years, it doesn't mean that I'm qualified to work in the finance department of an organization or even that my financial opinions and advice should carry any additional weight than the average Joe Citizen.

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 04:58:51 PMOver reaching plans will not save CAP PR, only the leg work of local people with a guidance from CAP NHQ will work.

QuoteI don't know what you mean by "ad game" and I'm not sure what you're even trying to get at with your post other than trying to argue for there being no need for national-level PR and marketing efforts.  I can tell you don't work in the corporate or non-profit worlds - and that's fine; I am not expecting you to understand all this.   

Sparky -- you need to understand that there is need for public affairs and the local and national levels.  Get this "local only!!!" thing out of your head.  It makes no sense.

Good PAO efforts are needed at the local level.  But guess what's not local:  our vehicle graphics, brochures, magazine advertisements, national media coverage, national website, posters, promotional items, recruiting displays, and marketing materials are all not local.  These are the things that local PAO's cannot change and get stuck with no matter how hard they work as a PAO.  These are the things that we're talking about improving.  Getting it yet?

CAP is a big, national non-profit organization, however, and should be doing the same things as any other successful national non-profit organization.  Coordinating the national marketing, communications and PR efforts into a cohesive branding and identity is one of those things.   Success as an organization comes from more sources than sheer brute force volunteer efforts at every local chapter; does your efforts at the local level play an important part?  Yes.  But it's not the whole picture, Sparky.

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 04:58:51 PMI'm not saying thre is no need for a National Program, just that it is not the MESSIAH type program that is going to make Joe Citizen leap up and say..."I WANT TO BE SEPMER VIGILANS."  The recruiting and Public Affairs people are going to listen to is the local person, cadets or CAP Officers, that are "getting the job done."

Actually, it should be contributing to people knowing about and wanting to join CAP, yes.  Is it the entire answer?  No; I never said it was.  But it's one of many things that needs serious review and improvement.

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 04:58:51 PMWhat's that National PR going to say?  Come out and FLY?  I don't think the effort to start a Unit in Laredo is going to get much out of that since they likly won't even see and aircraft.  It would begin with service, showing local people working.  Going out and meeting the people.  Not some "tag line" from some region.

Once again -- you really don't understand what we're talking about (and again that's okay, you're not expected to.  But when you don't understand things, don't argue about them).  Branding and identity has very, very little to do with a tagline or motto.  Very, very little.

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 04:58:51 PM
QuoteMichael Kieloch
Public Relations Society of America, Member

Wow, and I take it on the chin for using the term "Major" in my screen name.  I'm a member of the Knights of Columbus, certified Teacher and a Mariachi Band.

And if I we were having a debate about the fourth degree process of the Knights of Columbus and you included that qualification in your signature, I might put a bit more weight to your opinion.

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 04:58:51 PMMy main problem with your post is that you basically told Al his efforts were worthless.  I take issue with that.  He is one of the hardest working PAOs in the Civil Air Patrol.

These efforts aren't coming from Al -- they're coming from the paid NHQ staff.  I was not criticizing Al, and I'm pretty sure he understands that.

Edited to fix quote tags --MK
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2008, 05:04:30 PMFancy taglines and "mission statements" are not going to save the PR program; the actions of local CAP is where it happend...
I couldn't agree more.  Which is why I stated that it's my impression you do not have a good understanding of what strategic planning means.  And again, I do not intend that comment as an insult in any way.  The idea that we come up some new motto is not what I'm talking about.  That's not strategic planning; although it may come of out of these efforts. 

Strategic planning involves each and every aspect of the organization, it's not just a PR issue.  As a matter of fact, PR bases their communications on the plan.  A marketing plan is based off of the direction provided from a strategic plan.  Input to a strategic plan may be solicited from squadrons, if desired, but either way it is done at a National level.  It provides a high-level, top-down approach for the organization.  It will define who we are and where we are going.  It sets priorities and provides us focus.  It provides direction on the approach to operations, AE, and cadet programs among other things and defines how we use our resources to achieve the stated objectives.  It also provides a measure for which we can base our success.  What's more, is that it's not a once and done process.  It's ongoing and should be shared.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

Quote from: CAP Producer on October 21, 2008, 02:01:11 PM
Actually there are some senior CAP PA folks that see this info and are working on addressing your concerns.

I ask that you work with your Wing and Region PAO's. We are in a position to influence the leadership and NHQ/PA. We need your input not only to your wing and Region PA's but on boards like this.

Keep it coming.
Al, you're right that we do have some NHQ PA lurkers around here, but it seems too late to turn the ship around on this.  The consensus here seems to be that combining the sites and losing the .gov site is an ill-conceived idea on somebody's part.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to lose confidence on how open the NHQ PA folks might be to suggestions from the field even though they generally have more contact with people down at the squadron level than other departments.   

JC004

*sigh*  NHQ is on my nerves.  Soooo many reasons why this is a bad idea.

papapa

Actually, CAP is not even authorized to have a .gov domain.  You can look up the criteria and see that we clearly don't qualify to have that type of domain.  There are also many restrictions as to what you can put on a .gov site as well.  Very much a pain to operate under.  It held CAP back from doing certain things on the web without sending you to a third party linked site with a warning message.    From what I understand, you will always be able to type www.cap.gov and eventually it will take you to the new members site.

Eclipse

^ On the above point I have to agree, .org or .mil would be more appropriate based on the largely ignored TLD guidelines for domain names.  (granted the US husbands the .gov & .mil domains much better than the rest of those available).

Otherwise, my only issue is that we now have another WMU/eServices situation with two authoritative sources for documents, regs, etc.

When the new one went live, the old one should have been shut down immediately, and scripted to redirect to the new site.

"That Others May Zoom"

JAFO78

As papapa stated that CAP was not even authorized to have .gov, could they (NHQ)
still being cleaning up after you know who.... :o

::)
JAFO

Eclipse

Quote from: Rob G on October 29, 2008, 09:38:26 PM
As papapa stated that CAP was not even authorized to have .gov, could they (NHQ)
still being cleaning up after you know who...

No - CAP's use of the .gov domain predates HWSRN - they've been offering .gov domains to units for at least the 8-9 years I've taken notice of it.

Which also opens another question - if there is a legit issue with using the .gov domain by CAP (probably not), then chaos will ensue all over the place with other parts of the org who have chosen to use it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: A.Member on October 21, 2008, 05:45:06 PM

I couldn't agree more.  Which is why I stated that it's my impression you do not have a good understanding of what strategic planning means.

I know and understand only too well exactally what a strategic plan is, I only would submit that such plans do little good for the majority of us since we are all more TACITICAL types.

Some here would have CAP spend 100,000s to millions on such things (ad space, companies to "clever us up," "cool" websites et al), when such amounts could provide several more aircraft, update COMM equipment and/or countless other "necessary" items to people like me who institute the tactical implementation of CAP's missions.

High ideals are great, but the realities of the tactical implementation of CAP come to a head when, instead of resources, all I'm given to offer CAP Officers in my area is "A NEW DIRECTION for CAP" a stack of papers, a "niffty" tagline and a website.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

A.Member

Quote from: papapa on October 29, 2008, 09:21:23 PM
Actually, CAP is not even authorized to have a .gov domain. www.cap.gov and eventually it will take you to the new members site.
That's incorrect.  We are authorized to use it.  What's more is that we even have guidelines around it's use:
http://ns1.cap.gov/

and

http://www.capddr.org/documents/u_082503080020.pdf

Whether .gov is the correct/appropriate/best high-level domain name for us to operate is another question altogether (and a valid one).  Regardless, my opinion is that our primary website address should NOT be:  www.gocivilairpatrol.com

Quote from: papapa on October 29, 2008, 09:21:23 PM...It held CAP back from doing certain things on the web without sending you to a third party linked site with a warning message.    From what I understand, you will always be able to type www.cap.gov and eventually it will take you to the new members site.
What is your source for this info?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

A.Member

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 29, 2008, 09:45:04 PM
Some here would have CAP spend 100,000s to millions on such things (ad space, companies to "clever us up," "cool" websites et al), when such amounts could provide several more aircraft, update COMM equipment and/or countless other "necessary" items to people like me who institute the tactical implementation of CAP's missions.
And which missions are you referring to?  The soon to be virtually non-existent SAR mission?  Or some new, yet-to-be-defined mission?   If you don't know what the mission is, how do you know what you resources are needed? 

You don't act tactically without a strategic plan.  This is basic stuff.

jimmydeanno

High ideals are great, but the realities of the tactical implementation of CAP come to a head when, instead of resources, all I'm given to offer CAP Officers in my area is "A NEW DIRECTION for CAP" a stack of papers, a "niffty" tagline and a website.

Maj Corrales,

Believe it or not in order to make money you need to spend money.  What matters is that the money that you invest is returned plus some on your investment.  If that spiffy new tagline or website makes people aware of who we are and what we do, chances are donations, etc will follow.  Spending thousands of dollars on an advertisement may intially tie up that money, but if the advertisement causes some company to become one of our corporate partners the investment is well worth it.

There is a reason that non-profit organizations spend HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars every year to fundraising agencies and marketing agencies.  The Southern Poverty Law Center, for example, spends millions of dollars a year on advertising and fundraising - for which they recieve much more in return.

If advertisments weren't that important, why is half of my TV show and magazine full of them?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on October 29, 2008, 10:14:36 PMThe soon to be virtually non-existent SAR mission?

How do you figure?

And don't bother with the nonsense about the changes in Feb to the ELTs, if anything that means more work for us.

Any other unsubstantiated assertions you'd like to make?

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

...when such amounts could provide several more aircraft, update COMM equipment and/or countless other "necessary" items to people like me who institute the tactical implementation of CAP's missions.

And we do get several new aircraft every year (millions of dollars) and we just got a bunch of cash to buy new comm equipment (millions a few years ago and a couple hundred thousand this year).  CAP needs to improve their image and put bodies in positions.

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2008, 10:27:29 PM
Quote from: A.Member on October 29, 2008, 10:14:36 PMThe soon to be virtually non-existent SAR mission?

How do you figure?

And don't bother with the nonsense about the changes in Feb to the ELTs, if anything that means more work for us.

This is a discussion for another thread but how do you figure that will equate to more work?   I'd love to hear your theory.  As it stands right now, we aren't exactly overwhelmed with missions.

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on October 29, 2008, 11:46:35 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2008, 10:27:29 PM

How do you figure?

This is a discussion for another thread but how do you figure that will equate to more work?   I'd love to hear your theory.  As it stands right now, we aren't exactly overwhelmed with missions.

Again, local perception does not equal national reality. I've had two finds in the last calendar week, and this has been a very busy year for DR in my region, not just state. 

Members of my units have recently attended the AFRCC course and had opportunity to discuss the upcoming changes.  While the incidents of ramp-rash ELTs may go down, when we are called out, because of the higher lead times, and larger areas of probablity, AFRCC is asserting that the missions will generally involve multiple aircraft and ground teams on the first pass, as opposed to most states' more conservative deployment of single teams / aircraft until things get "interesting".

There's no FAA mandate to buy the new ELT's, and no rush in the pilot communities I frequent to get them.
That means lots of old-school ELT's and plenty of overflight and FBO reports of activations.

Bottom line, AFRCC, the guys who call us out, are indicating publicly that we will be plenty busy and have more than enough to do.

And though I do not sport an Algor bumper sticker on my SUV, its obvious something is going on with the climate, whether its cyclical or man-made, its going to be more interesting before it gets quiet again.
We don't even need to leave our home AOR's anymore to do hurricane relief, we had a real-world DR for Ike's remnants in our backyard three states North.

There's also the issue of the economy.  My personal experience has been that as states get more and more lean (plus all the PD/FD that are deployed), they are reaching further into the ES resource pool for assistance.  Our low rates and relative professionalism make us very attractive as soon as they see our presentations.  Execute just once at anything close to what you promised and you start getting Christmas card from all over the place.

We now return you back to the important discussion of the fonts on the new website.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlexCoder

In review of the gocivilairpatrol.com site, it has a very confusing interface, weak top banner, bad navigation, sloppy code and looks like a grade schooler put it together for his or her school project.     On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best, gocap is a 2-3 rank.  According to Quantcast, 92% of the traffic is passer-bys; only 1% are addicts (gee, I wonder why!)    It is a complete waste of money in regard to the latest free technologies available today.   With that being said, I spent this week screen capturing every CAP Wing, Region & National website & will post the good vs the bad soon.   None of them are good actually.  The conclusion is the fact that 99% of the sites have outdated interfaces, horrific graphics, default language phrases, bad fonts, use of frames, security exploits, mispelled words, old contact info, deprecated code, general info that relates to National but not to the member & lots of worthless info/links, lots of legal disclaimers that nobody ever reads, no features that are useful to the member (meaning blogs, forum, etc)  and few discuss what there personal unit is all about.   And I saw quite a few Squadron websites with purple & pink backgrounds; what is there deal, the Civil Femme Patrol!  No offense to females - pink, purple colors can be worthy if used properly though.   If "Joe" wants to read about the 3 missions of CAP, he can go to National site; Joe wants to know what YOUR unit is all about and what YOUR unit does locally.   CAP websites would convey to the average "joe" that this organization is not with it, not an innovator & is a mess.

The absolute worst CAP Sites are Montana Wing, Oklahoma Wing; the rest are quite bad as well.  Pennsylvania Wing was good with it's simple, clean interface and had useful info but needs many improvements as well.   If anyone has an IT badge for Montana or Oklahoma Wing, it's only fair if you turn your badge in until these sites are vastly improved.   Why, because the developers of those two wing sites should be tarred and feathered (j/k)...they don't deserve to wear the IT badge, period!  I was surprised to see Wing websites such as California, Texas, New York, Georgia & other Wings with lots of resources, members and funds, appear to be quite bad too.  Georgia site is awful with a terrible outdated interface; California has some cool features but the design and graphics are typical 1990's era.   Texas should be ashamed; New York, well, your just as bad as Texas too.  As for other Wing, Region sites specifically not mentioned, your not out of the woods, there terrible too.  Too many to list....

Most CAP sites tend to use Joomla (#1), Drupal, DotNetNuke, WYSIWYG Templates, WordPress & other newb CMS systems.   All of these CMS systems have lots of free, better templates.  Why don't you get your cadets to select the website interface or template.  In fact, let the cadets develop the sites instead because the majority of the IT's in CAP are terrible!  The Internet Technology Officer Guide for Dummies....mostly worthless jargon unrelated to web development (ex. 7. mentoring cadets with concepts of IT - who wrote this ****).

Some Solutions:  Social Network Sites are the hottest trend on the net today and CAP should take advantage of it.  CAP Members need a site where they can congregate, meet friends, have personal blogs, discuss things in a forum, spotlight top members , rave new promotions & recognition, have updated news, open community involvment, light censorship and so forth.   Big sites are like a dominoe effect, once the community gets active and meaningful, they get bigger and bigger over time especially if the site has open source API resources available to the members to develop sites on their own to promote CAP and their units as well as create new features, widgets, etc.    CAP needs a teamwork environment that promotes awareness, recruiting & retention. 

Think of America's Army Social Community site that the US Army started in 2002; that in itself has created a massive worldwide community with a strong following to this day.    America's Army is very well organized, has more of a horizontal chain of command and has a very large active comminty with lots of features and current events.    Give the member a genuine sense of belonging and it will grow a thousand fold quickly!

Why pay for it when one can get it for free..... in order to get the IT Badge, the trainee must develop, maintain a unit website with certain requirements that must be met, many colleges require their students to develop a website in order to graduate, lots of members in CAP are very good at new technologies in regard to front end, back end & graphics (utilize the membership - give members a sense of belonging & light recognition & you'd be surprised in what they would do w/out costing CAP a dime), offer incentives such as a medal or ribbon for cadets, seniors, have a contest (I'll even supply the prizes),  member reward leaderboards on site, promote the worthy IT's as site moderators and so on.  Just dont require coders, graphics members to have college degrees & certifications because I have found among the great minds of today, that the best coders in the world do not possess or care about any of those things.     

And, any good PAO knows that 90% of Advertising, Marketing is free.  CAP doesn't need to spend millions of dollars on this & that.   Drug reduction program is one example of wasteful spending.   Seniors praise the program but kids rebel!  Instill core values, accountability, mentoring and drugs are not an issue.    Today, most kids and young adults are very tech savoy and the CAP websites tend to push them away but we need to exploit this technology today.   If CAP wants to spend money, hire the Google guys not some old line IBM workers....

Why do we need good websites?  Simple fact, the world buys 85% of their goods on the net today.  140 million+ Americans play online games and communicate via the web mostly on cells, myspace, social sites, etc.  Most everything we do today is connected to technology, the internet, communication, etc.   Either get with the times, or fade out like most programs that never or rarely innovative.    CAP has been hovering around the 50,000 to 65,000 members for the past 20+ years.  Obvoiusly, something is not working (most likely 'old timers' manning the PAO at the Nat/Region/Wing Levels) because growth has been little to nothing.   And most people think CAP died in the WWII era or have never heard about us which gives us little to no credibility in regard to missions especially with EMA's and other gov't heads because they don't know what CAP is.   

More members equal more manpower, more resources, more funds, more equipment, more awareness & retention, more benefits and so on.   CAP needs a 21st century mindset or it will seize to exist in the future.  Everyone in CAP would benefit from better websites and positive awareness , from the tactical mindset guys training the basics, logistics/comm. adding new tech with the large influx of money coming in, and so on.   Everyone has a role, we just need to stop talking, and start doing.  And as for the CAP websites at the Region & Wing levels, there is no excuse to have such pathetic sites up.  Just my three cents worth....

Eclipse

^ Don't bother, we know they are bad.

And for the love of whatever Lord you hold dear, CAP does NOT need to wade into the time wasting cesspool of social networking.

"That Others May Zoom"