Main Menu

Whats the difference?

Started by C/Awesomenesss, December 01, 2014, 06:58:38 AM

C/Awesomenesss

What's the difference between USAF Aux and the regular USAF?

whatevah

As a member of the auxiliary (CAP), you should already know the answer.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

lordmonar

One is the regular......and the other other is the auxiliary.   >:D

Note: Fixed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pylon

Gentlemen, please keep the content professional.

OP, to answer your question, read this excerpt about CAP's status as a military auxiliary.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Air_Patrol#Relationship_to_the_military
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

EMT-83

Since your squadron meets on an active base, you probably know the difference:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=18683.msg341109#msg341109

March 30, 2014, 11:11:24 PM ยป

We have almost a whole building on Offutt AFB. It gets tight when most of our cadets come (about 100 to 110) to a meeting. Its nice though. We have a admin office, a ops room (with about ten radios), a conference room, the commanders office, and the aerospace room with flight sims.

JC004

The Air Force was founded to provide fighter air support and cargo aircraft transportation for Civil Air Patrol missions.  It was initially supposed to be called the International Air Patrol, but the Army person who wrote up the memo couldn't remember how to spell "international."  They did not have spell check in the olden days.  They are paid because the International Air Patrol missions are far away, and so figher aircraft are always available to support CAP SAR and Disaster Relief missions.

raivo

Quote from: JC004 on December 02, 2014, 04:38:20 AM
The Air Force was founded to provide fighter air support and cargo aircraft transportation for Civil Air Patrol missions.  It was initially supposed to be called the International Air Patrol, but the Army person who wrote up the memo couldn't remember how to spell "international."  They did not have spell check in the olden days.  They are paid because the International Air Patrol missions are far away, and so figher aircraft are always available to support CAP SAR and Disaster Relief missions.

:clap:

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Checotah

I realize there are some who frequent this forum regularly, and who develop a keen understanding of each others' senses of humor, inside jokes, strengths, weaknesses, sincere questions and those of foppish intent.  Others of us visit from time to time, sometimes to gather insight and understanding, sometimes to simply see what is being discussed, whether of import to us or not.  I am one of those folks, and find this entire string to be both frustrating and a bit irritating.  It seems to me the OP was asked in good faith, but all the responses seem to be either ridiculing or joking in nature, none of which are accompanied by traditional indications of such by either emoticon or abbreviation, like "LOL" or such.

If the original post was in jest, it would be nice to understand that.  If it were an honest question, then the joking responses should have been somehow so indicated.  Or maybe this forum is just for those who frequent it regularly, who know everything about each other and others need not post.  I visit hoping to learn and share things, but if I am mistaken in my understanding of the purpose, please let me know and I will seek other venues.  In the many other forums I frequent (non CAP) standards of decorum are posted, expected, monitored, and administered.  Here, I simply am confused by the lack of clarity and, sometimes, the lack of civility.
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JC004 on December 02, 2014, 04:38:20 AM

You owe me a new keyboard.  I was in the midst of a long drink of 7UP when I read this.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

flyboy53

Quote from: Awesomenesss on December 01, 2014, 06:58:38 AM
What's the difference between USAF Aux and the regular USAF?

I'm hoping that you could see through the cynicism for your answer. In case you haven't. Here's the answer simply.

The U.S. Air Force is an instrument of the federal government. Through the Department of Defense, it's mission is to secure our Nation's defense through the effective use of airpower or air superiority. The CAP is a congressionally chartered civilian organization that is only the Auxiliary of the Air Force through an act of federal law and is only the Air Force Auxiliary when we are operating in that capacity.

Otherwise, we are civilians with no real authority to accomplish the overall Air Force mission unless we're tasked to accomplish something that aligns with the specifics of the other federal law at our foundation that says we're essentially a Congressionally-chartered benevolent business.

THRAWN

USAF has guns, CAP has gauze.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Cliff_Chambliss

and all this time I thought the real purpose of the Civil Air Patrol was to teach the Air Force how to salute.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.