Command & "Servant Leadership"

Started by Walkman, September 09, 2013, 03:03:33 PM

Walkman

Most of my training and experience in leadership comes from work in my faith and the BSA (Woodbadge, etc). In that context, one of the most common principles is that of the "servant-leader". The idea being that while those in a leadership position provide guidance, direction and vision to their group, they put the needs of the group first with the goal of supporting and enabling the subordinates to fulfill their potential within the group. As Spock said "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one." In the three most prevalent divisions of leadership styles (autocratic, participative and laissez-faire), the idea of the "servant leader" fits most closely into the participative model. IMO, I think it fits better being categorized as a fourth style.

Now my question. How does (or should) this leadership idea fit within the context of command in CAP? We have the trappings and associations of the military, which follows a more autocratic method, but being volunteers it's a different kind of world. Working with cadets also adds a different dimension.

Is there a difference between being a commander and being a leader? I remember the first job I had where I was a manager of staff. I had spent quite a bit of time at that point studying leadership principles, and I thought that being a good leader would automatically make me a good manager. What I found was the managing was quite different, with a different set of goals and requiring a different mind-set. I don't think I was actually that good of a manager. Is command more like being a manager? There seems to be a lot of managing going on. However, the commander also sets the pace and vision for the unit. A mix of both maybe?

Where should a commander fall on the "servant leader" spectrum? As I mentioned, my perspective comes mostly from a religious point of view, which skews largely toward the "washing others feet" end of the spectrum. I'm not sure that is entirely appropriate in for a CAP setting.

When you think of the best commanders you've had in CAP, what were their defining traits?

Майор Хаткевич

I think the term is used to emphasize the role. "Servant" in the sense that "the need of the unit > the needs of the commander". But that doesn't really make it it's own style. I may be using an autocratic, but as long as I put the needs of the unit and its members first, it is still servant leadership.

NIN

Quote from: Walkman on September 09, 2013, 03:03:33 PM
When you think of the best commanders you've had in CAP, what were their defining traits?

Many (not all) were not what you're really call "autocratic."  And they used a variety of leadership styles based on the situation at hand, the people in the mix, and the needs of the unit.

My theory has always been that since we're dealing with true "volunteers," the old military model of "Accomplish The Mission. Welfare of the Troops" should be reversed.  You gotta take care of your people so they can accomplish the mission.

Autocratic leadership works in short-term situations, or when you're dealing with leaders who are substantially more skilled/knowledgeable than their subordinates.  When I've got a new guy in as my admin officer, I'm a little more "directive" with him than I am with my senior training guy who has 5-6 years in CAP and knows more about whats going on in CAP senior training than I do.

There is even a place in the leadership model for the laissez-faire style, especially when you're trying to get thru some paradigm shifts in a unit and you need "buy in" from the membership.  You whip out a little laissez-faire, and your members are suddenly invested in the decision.

One of the best commanders I ever worked for used all three styles rather adroitly (***)  She would go from Participative to Laissez-faire and occasionally all the way over to a more autocratic style (when appropriate).  She would get people on board with changes by getting them to participate in the process, and I watched her get into an minor argument/discussion with a unit officer (who was, IMHO, way, way outside of his lane) and basically say "I understand where you're coming from on this, but what the Group needs is this, and for these reasons we're going in a different direction. I appreciate your info and input."

From her and another commander, I learned a methodology that works well in CAP, especially when you spell it out to your membership and its always served me in good stead:  "I will  take input on a decision right up until the point where the decision has to be made. At that point, the decision is the decision and I expect members of the unit to abide by that decision, even if they did not agree with it prior to."

In other words: If you think something should be done a certain way, voice your opinion in a way that will help shape the policy/decision, etc.   But at the end of the day, the commander makes the decisions based on the good of the unit and the organization. It might be the way you wanted it, it might not. But once the decision is made, I expect you to get behind it and support it as if it was your own."

That takes a little getting used to (and requires a LOT of Core Values-type discussions leading up getting people on board and into that mindset).   

Nothing is a bigger buzz kill is a stubborn officer who digs in his or her heels on something they feel is a big deal, especially a minor issue, and continues to complain or undermine a commander's decision on a particular subject that they held an opinion on.

I've told many of my officers "Look, tell me something is wrong to my face before I make a decision. I appreciate that.  But if you don't agree with it and we have to go a different way, I expect you'll understand that I'm the commander and I ultimately have to make decisions based on the good of the unit while bearing in mind the regulations and directives of higher HQ."

Wing Banker created a lot of heartburn during my last tour as commander, and I had to stamp on a couple people who were vocal about finding ways "around" its requirements.

In my current role as a staff officer, I advise my commander on various courses of action. At the end of the day, he makes the decision of how much or little of my advice he's going to implement based on other requirements, resources, political climate in the wing, cash on hand, the weather, etc, etc.   And if the decision is not exactly the way I'd do it,  once its announced I salute, say "Yes, sir" and cheerfully implement the commander's directives as if they were my own.

(and when it goes sour, behind closed doors I gleefully tell him "I told ya so!"... And he laughs and says "You've forgotten more than I know about this!!")

For a staff officer, its about parking your ego at the door and understanding your role.

For a commander, its about balancing.

(***) That commander was then-Major Amy Courter. 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

sarmed1

Just a few thoughts that come to mind to think on too:
Even in the AF I have found people often confuse the terms leadership and management.  Just because you are in charge and good at managing the "XYZ"  doesnt make you a good leader.  Where true people may follow you because you are the "leader" doesnt mean you are actually doing it well or even right for that matter.  Frequently I find the inverse to be true, if you somehow have that "magic" of being an effective leader, the management part frequently falls into place.....

I volunteered for the AF as well.  Just because you are "voluntarily" involved in something doesnt magically mean you only need to do the things that you fell like doing or only the follow the rules that you want to/think are the important ones.  You still agreed to follow all of the rules, regulations orders of those in charge.... just like me in the AF.In the context of CAP all it really means is that you can more easily un-volunteer yourself from the program if you dont agree on how things are going easier than I can from the AF (and with less consequences too).  Like NIN said, as a leader you just need to make sure you give a little more pause to the  "Welfare of the Troops" part to make sure you keep your people to make sure you can accomplish your missions

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Spaceman3750

As a CDS, I try hard to be a servant leader. Sometimes that means I'm trying to obtain resources for my officers, sometimes I'm breaking down barriers, and every once in awhile I am helping resolve an issue by making a decision or giving directions (with the CCs backing, of course).

This works because I have a great group of folks working with me. If I had a bunch of newbies or people as stubborn as me, this probably wouldn't work out so well.

lordmonar

When I went to USAF PME they did not teach the "standard" three styles.

They teach situational leadership.  Telling, Selling, Participating, delegating.

Which one you use is based on the commitment level and the ability level of the team/individual as it applies to the specific task or tasks at hand.

The is no one "best" leadership style all the time.......each task, team and individual is different and each one may need a different leadership style based on the situation.

Servant leadership is not really a style but also a commitment by the leader to not only be focused on the task....but also on the development of the team and/or individual.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: NIN on September 09, 2013, 04:06:52 PM
For a staff officer, its about parking your ego at the door and understanding your role.

Very good points indeed. We all can not be "Wing King" so I check my ego at the door and make the coffee.

I got to meet MG Amy Courter twice and I was very impressed with her  8)

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on September 09, 2013, 04:06:52 PM
Quote from: Walkman on September 09, 2013, 03:03:33 PM

Many (not all) were not what you're really call "autocratic."  And they used a variety of leadership styles based on the situation at hand, the people in the mix, and the needs of the unit.

My theory has always been that since we're dealing with true "volunteers," the old military model of "Accomplish The Mission. Welfare of the Troops" should be reversed.  You gotta take care of your people so they can accomplish the mission.

Autocratic leadership works in short-term situations, or when you're dealing with leaders who are substantially more skilled/knowledgeable than their subordinates.  When I've got a new guy in as my admin officer, I'm a little more "directive" with him than I am with my senior training guy who has 5-6 years in CAP and knows more about whats going on in CAP senior training than I do.

There is even a place in the leadership model for the laissez-faire style, especially when you're trying to get thru some paradigm shifts in a unit and you need "buy in" from the membership.  You whip out a little laissez-faire, and your members are suddenly invested in the decision.

One of the best commanders I ever worked for used all three styles rather adroitly (***)  She would go from Participative to Laissez-faire and occasionally all the way over to a more autocratic style (when appropriate).  She would get people on board with changes by getting them to participate in the process, and I watched her get into an minor argument/discussion with a unit officer (who was, IMHO, way, way outside of his lane) and basically say "I understand where you're coming from on this, but what the Group needs is this, and for these reasons we're going in a different direction. I appreciate your info and input."

From her and another commander, I learned a methodology that works well in CAP, especially when you spell it out to your membership and its always served me in good stead:  "I will  take input on a decision right up until the point where the decision has to be made. At that point, the decision is the decision and I expect members of the unit to abide by that decision, even if they did not agree with it prior to."

In other words: If you think something should be done a certain way, voice your opinion in a way that will help shape the policy/decision, etc.   But at the end of the day, the commander makes the decisions based on the good of the unit and the organization. It might be the way you wanted it, it might not. But once the decision is made, I expect you to get behind it and support it as if it was your own."

That takes a little getting used to (and requires a LOT of Core Values-type discussions leading up getting people on board and into that mindset).   

Nothing is a bigger buzz kill is a stubborn officer who digs in his or her heels on something they feel is a big deal, especially a minor issue, and continues to complain or undermine a commander's decision on a particular subject that they held an opinion on.

I've told many of my officers "Look, tell me something is wrong to my face before I make a decision. I appreciate that.  But if you don't agree with it and we have to go a different way, I expect you'll understand that I'm the commander and I ultimately have to make decisions based on the good of the unit while bearing in mind the regulations and directives of higher HQ."

Wing Banker created a lot of heartburn during my last tour as commander, and I had to stamp on a couple people who were vocal about finding ways "around" its requirements.

In my current role as a staff officer, I advise my commander on various courses of action. At the end of the day, he makes the decision of how much or little of my advice he's going to implement based on other requirements, resources, political climate in the wing, cash on hand, the weather, etc, etc.   And if the decision is not exactly the way I'd do it,  once its announced I salute, say "Yes, sir" and cheerfully implement the commander's directives as if they were my own.

(and when it goes sour, behind closed doors I gleefully tell him "I told ya so!"... And he laughs and says "You've forgotten more than I know about this!!")

This.

FYI - I'll never make 20k if you keep typing my posts.

"That Others May Zoom"

Peeka

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2013, 01:54:02 AM
^^Unless you keep quoting other peoples' words and add "This".  >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: Peeka on September 10, 2013, 01:59:15 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2013, 01:54:02 AM
^^Unless you keep quoting other peoples' words and add "This".  >:D

Heh.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Interesting timimg for the post.  The Florida Wing Public Affairs Academy was held this past weekend.  As part of the student packet, each participant received a copy of Robert Greenleaf's essay, "The Servant as Leader".