Main Menu

Does the AF really care?

Started by Walkman, April 04, 2013, 04:00:58 PM

Walkman

Apparently they do:

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays-features/?cap_to_remain_support_agency_of_choice_usafs_jones_assures_command_council&show=news&newsID=16324

I like this:
Quote"I want you to know that the Air Force understands and values what you bring to the fight," said Jones, the military branch's director of operations. "Your support in the homeland, training the war fighter, protecting America, advancing education and developing our youth cannot be thanked enough.

"You are wonderful patriots, and as our auxiliary partner we appreciate everything you do for our Air Force and our nation."

I just thought that amid the CAPTalk wailing and gnashing of teeth over our relationship with Big Blue, it would be nice to spread some good vibes.

a2capt

Now, if that were posted on an Air Force news site.. ;-)

abdsp51

To piggy back, yes the AF cares no if's, ands or buts about it.  Some here will say they don't get much support from a local AF yard and maybe that is due to bad blood or maybe just not talking to the right people. 

Some will say every Airman in the AF need to know what we do and the relationship and while that may be nice I'd be happy with the people who can do something for us and to help build or better the local CAP-USAF relationship.  Being dual hatted USAF-CAP I can say currently  it's far more beneficial for us to have a relationship with the powers to be. 

Building, maintaining and improving the CAP-USAF locally is what is a key thing to relations.

Devil Doc

YAY CAP, this is the reason why i joined this organization, to help protect the Homeland!!
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Walkman

Quote from: a2capt on April 04, 2013, 04:09:00 PM
Now, if that were posted on an Air Force news site.. ;-)

Dude, you're harshing the good vibes!   ;)

NC Hokie

Of course the Air Force cares. Individual airmen, NCOs, and officers might not, but they probably don't care about any other part of the Air Force that doesn't impact their AOR or career, either.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

a2capt

Okay, Okay. :)

As long as they don't post a pink gif file from MS Paint for Windows 3.1, like NHQ did ;-)

"CAP Cares" ..

Grumpy

Heck, I feel like we get more support from the Army Reserve and the Marine Corps than we get from the AF.  In the 13 years I've been with this squadron I seen an AF advisor twice and the one we asked to check into AF Orientation Flights never did get back to us.

If we want to get a facility for something like an NCOS all we have to do is ask and the Marines bend over backwards to see that we get what we need.

If the Army Reserve isn't drilling, we have the run of the facility.

abdsp51

Quote from: Grumpy on April 05, 2013, 02:59:47 AM
Heck, I feel like we get more support from the Army Reserve and the Marine Corps than we get from the AF.  In the 13 years I've been with this squadron I seen an AF advisor twice and the one we asked to check into AF Orientation Flights never did get back to us.

You are not talking to the right people then.

Grumpy

I thought that was one of the reasons for the CAP/RAP.  Find out where the problems are and help fix them.

PHall

Quote from: Grumpy on April 05, 2013, 02:59:47 AM

If we want to get a facility for something like an NCOS all we have to do is ask and the Marines bend over backwards to see that we get what we need.

If the Army Reserve isn't drilling, we have the run of the facility.

Of the fact that you meet in an Army Reserve facility on an Active Duty Marine Corps Base has nothing to do with that right? >:D

The CyBorg is destroyed

This is a good story...but why not run it in something like the Air Force Times as well?  General Jones' very kind comments would at least kibosh some of the misconceptions about CAP.

Agreed about support from other services...one of my former units met in an ARNG Armoury...and they went out of their way to help us.

Quote from: Grumpy on April 05, 2013, 03:23:52 AM
I thought that was one of the reasons for the CAP/RAP.  Find out where the problems are and help fix them.

If you're fortunate enough to have access to a CAP/RAP.  Those seem to be thin on the ground anymore.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

CAP/RAP?

Theres a Rap Song about CAP Now? Were going to blow up big time.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

abdsp51

This is something best suited for the local base papers in the commentary section.  And a AF story on the portal to really get the word out. 

Grumpy

Like I said before.  Seems like the other branches of the military go out of their way to help us out.  Every time we talked to our reserve people about AF Orientation Flights we never hear back from them. At least the other branches communicate.  I realize that now days there may be budget problems but these requests were before Obummer took office.  When you needed a place for encampment the Marines supplied us with Camp Telega (free).

abdsp51

Quote from: Grumpy on April 05, 2013, 04:56:15 PM
Like I said before.  Seems like the other branches of the military go out of their way to help us out.  Every time we talked to our reserve people about AF Orientation Flights we never hear back from them. At least the other branches communicate.  I realize that now days there may be budget problems but these requests were before Obummer took office.  When you needed a place for encampment the Marines supplied us with Camp Telega (free).

Again you are not talking to the right people. I have a buddy who arranged a KC-10 flight for his kids in a couple of months.  What yard are you trying to get a flight through?

Luis R. Ramos

Obummer... Really?  :o

I think the reason of the poor response to you is really that you are injecting into your conversation with them contempt or an attitude that should not be present.

I do not agree with Obama, nor I voted for him. But as a member of CAP, the USAF Auxiliary even if part-time, to me Mr Obama is the President of the United States and ultimately, the CAP CIC.

:-\

I think that if you review your attitude when you talk or address those branches you may have better results.

Flyer

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

jimmydeanno

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 05, 2013, 05:12:57 PMultimately, the CAP CIC.

Not to turn this into a political discussion, but...no. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 05, 2013, 05:12:57 PM
Obummer... Really?  :o

I think the reason of the poor response to you is really that you are injecting into your conversation with them contempt or an attitude that should not be present.

I do not agree with Obama, nor I voted for him. But as a member of CAP, the USAF Auxiliary even if part-time, to me Mr Obama is the President of the United States and ultimately, the CAP CIC.

:-\

I think that if you review your attitude when you talk or address those branches you may have better results.

Flyer
+1

Just like we tell the cadets....respect the rank if not the person.

As for "they never got back to us" when requesting and O-Flight........how was the request sent up?   How was it followed up?  If you want it to happen you have to work it.  It is not in the USAF's interest to make it happen.  You have to remember that you are adding to their work.   So you got to be proactive, get your State Director (or what ever he is called now) in the loop, get all the RMA's set up, SSANs etc, and so forth.....you have to make those relationships with the flying unit to make sure they know who you are are they can make the call when a flying opportunity comes along.

It is more about work load on the flying squadron then money.  So you have to make them like you enough that they will be willing to do more work.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Respect the person, but you don't need to agree with him.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 05, 2013, 07:36:37 PM
Respect the person, but you don't need to agree with him.

Exactly.  Which is why I determinedly avoid political discussions of any kind in a CAP setting.

Quote from: NC Hokie on April 04, 2013, 05:13:24 PM
Of course the Air Force cares. Individual airmen, NCOs, and officers might not, but they probably don't care about any other part of the Air Force that doesn't impact their AOR or career, either.

I think it's more likely that they don't know about us, or have only heard unfounded rumours.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: CyBorg on April 05, 2013, 01:38:59 PM
This is a good story...but why not run it in something like the Air Force Times as well?  General Jones' very kind comments would at least kibosh some of the misconceptions about CAP.

The Air Force Times is not an official publication of the USAF. It's popular with some members of the USAF (and I occasionally read it because it was something to read on alert) but is largely considered to be a bit of a tabloid.

Airman Magzine was/is the official publication of the USAF, unfortunately it is no longer produced in hard copy. (Too expensive) It is on-line and it's possible something could be coordinated between NHQ or a local PA office and sent up. Certainly could be worth a try but would need a USAF PAO that was on board for doing it.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on April 06, 2013, 02:56:35 PM
Airman Magzine was/is the official publication of the USAF, unfortunately it is no longer produced in hard copy. (Too expensive) It is on-line and it's possible something could be coordinated between NHQ or a local PA office and sent up. Certainly could be worth a try but would need a USAF PAO that was on board for doing it.

I hadn't known Airman was no longer published in magazine form.  That is unfortunate as I always enjoyed reading it and at one point had a pretty large stack.

As for the USAF PAO connection, how could that be set in motion?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: Walkman on April 04, 2013, 04:00:58 PM
Apparently they do:

Thank you sir. I thought it was very positive no matter what spin others want to put on it.   :clap:

Paul_AK

Quote from: CyBorg on April 06, 2013, 03:34:54 PM
I'd think a suggestion like that could be routed through local channels to both the USAF Public Affairs Agency and CAPNHQ. Or at the very least they could get someone started in the right direction.
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

abdsp51

At the end of the day, those that make the major decisions AF wide know about us and value us.  Anything below that requires work and communication from both CAP and USAF to either create, improve, or maintain the relationship. 

ProdigalJim

Quote from: CyBorg on April 06, 2013, 03:34:54 PM
Quote from: LGM30GMCC on April 06, 2013, 02:56:35 PM

I hadn't known Airman was no longer published in magazine form.  That is unfortunate as I always enjoyed reading it and at one point had a pretty large stack.

A bit of a drift, but CyBorg, just FYI you can still read Airman electronically. Here ya go:

>> Airman magazine is now available FREE for your tablet devices! Please take a moment and download the first issue of 2013:
APPLE: http://bi...t.ly/TK559c
ANDROID: http://bit.ly/WE3FTX
KINDLE: http://amzn.to/UgBDaN

In addition to the tablet app, the Airman staff works hard to provide new content on a weekly basis. We have recently posted a great mix of stories, including a 60+ year holiday tradition in the pacific islands, an in-depth look at the F-22 Raptor, a glimpse of modern day Air Force basic military training, and combat rescue in Afghanistan. <<
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

scare

The fact that they have made an article specifically for this, may seem rather suspicious.

Eclipse

I just "purchased" the Kindle edition (which I intend to actually read on the Android) and the free purchase also got me a $1 credit in the Amazon MP3 store.  Sweet.

"That Others May Zoom"