Main Menu

CAP Business Cards

Started by Lloyd Bumanglag Capt,CAP, September 23, 2008, 05:50:46 PM

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Eclipse on September 24, 2008, 02:45:43 PM
Quote from: MIKE on September 24, 2008, 02:40:25 PM
I want some of those card shaped CD/DVD business cards... Ever seen one of those?

Pretty cool, especially if you have some compelling media on them - you can dupe them on home burners.

I wonder if they make those in lightscribe?  You could make some pretty need business cards on the fly.

I haven't seen them in light scribe it would be nice if they had them I'd sure get some.

DNall

I use vista print for my military business cards, and routinely give those to other CAP members.

the first order with them is free, plus s/h, so about $10 IIRC. I recommend the standard flag design card that's very popular.

You can get additional orders for free if you go thru military.com to access vista print. They have military themed cards that you can modify for CAP. I'd recommend the standard AF recruiter style card w/ the CAP seal swapped w/ AF. The logo (CAP seal) will cost you $5 extra. You can also print on the back at no extra charge. I did all that recently & it cost me about $15.

It might be cheaper to print my own, but it's not worth $10 of my effort & I wouldn't compromise on quality.

stratoflyer

One of the examples above had US Air Force Auxiliary above Civil Air Patrol. I've seen this on other print materials from various CAP personnel.

Question: Which goes first?

I always had the impression that Civil Air Patrol should precede the USAF AUX part.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: stratoflyer on September 25, 2008, 03:26:10 AM
One of the examples above had US Air Force Auxiliary above Civil Air Patrol. I've seen this on other print materials from various CAP personnel.

Question: Which goes first?

I always had the impression that Civil Air Patrol should precede the USAF AUX part.

Though it's not specified for business cards, I'd take cues from CAP's other communications vehicles.  CAPR 10-1 puts "Civil Air Patrol" above "US Air Force Auxiliary" on the letterhead for all correspondence.  CAPR 110-1 specifies the same arrange with "Civil Air Patrol" being the most prominent on all CAP websites.  I think that sets a pretty decent precedent upon which to judge for other uses.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

stratoflyer

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

The organization is Civil Air Patrol. No "The" before it, nor a "U.S." And "United States Air Force Auxiliary" should fall underneath the name, not above it. (Some people overestimate their worth, huh?  :P)

There was this crazy phenomenon that seemed to take root after Sept. 11 when people started identifying as the Air Force Auxiliary rather than CAP. Who knows why, but for a while, it was really annoying. Remember seeing people with signature lines like this?

JOE BLOW, Major, USAF Aux
Assistant Director of Garbage Compliance, North Nowhere Wing

I even saw "USAFA" instead of CAP. Uh, that's the Academy....

The old CAP Bookstore sold CAP business cards. The seal was in the upper left, printed in two colors (blue and red). Wonder why they stopped selling them. There's too many variants these days.

Then again, the old 10-1 used to have exact dimensions and specifications for letterheads! Where'd THAT go?

And a side note -- I wouldn't ever have business cards printed on an offset press. Sheetfed, yes, but not offset. Offset is great for newspapers, but not for something with a design as intricate as the CAP seal (to get the color in register).

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Pumbaa

One reason for saying "United States Air Force Auxiliary" I think is more for brand recognition. 

"CAP" is America's best kept secret."  At least that is what we are told...  USAF Aux has instant brand recognition. 

How many times have you said Civil Air Patrol to someone and they just give you a blank stare?  When you include USAF Aux, their eyes light up with.. "Ohhhh Okay.... Now I understand..."

CAP needs a lot better positioning and branding.  Until then USAF Aux is the lead in.

BigMojo

What do the folks up at NHQ have for business cards? Maybe we should model after that?
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Pylon

Quote from: Pumbaa on September 25, 2008, 09:56:00 AM
One reason for saying "United States Air Force Auxiliary" I think is more for brand recognition. 

"CAP" is America's best kept secret."  At least that is what we are told...  USAF Aux has instant brand recognition. 

How many times have you said Civil Air Patrol to someone and they just give you a blank stare?  When you include USAF Aux, their eyes light up with.. "Ohhhh Okay.... Now I understand..."

CAP needs a lot better positioning and branding.  Until then USAF Aux is the lead in.

CAP needs better branding and identity.  Using "US Air Force Auxiliary" isn't the answer, for the interim or the long term.

I disagree that "US Air Force Auxiliary" has some sort of instant brand recognition.  People understand "US Air Force," when they hear that, they're not going to think "volunteers in a non-profit organization that carries out cadet programs, emergency services and promotes aerospace education."   If you rely on that name, you'll actually reduce opportunity to distinguish who we are by constantly confusing us with being a part of the Air Force.  We're not.  We support them, they support us, we can and do act in a capacity as their Auxiliary, but we are Civil Air Patrol.

Quote from: BigMojo on September 25, 2008, 12:18:55 PM
What do the folks up at NHQ have for business cards? Maybe we should model after that?

Maybe the folks at National should get on creating an actual brand and identity for CAP, professionally produce templates, mandate use and we could model after that.

davidsinn

Quote from: Pylon on September 25, 2008, 12:51:53 PM
Maybe the folks at National should get on creating an actual brand and identity for CAP, professionally produce templates, mandate use and we could model after that.

I don't think that'll happen. I asked the KB if my unit could mandate a template for cards and the answer was no. ref# 080820-000001
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pylon

Quote from: davidsinn on September 25, 2008, 03:56:50 PM

I don't think that'll happen. I asked the KB if my unit could mandate a template for cards and the answer was no. ref# 080820-000001

The unit commander can most certainly mandate what types of print communications your squadron members are making and handing out to the public.  If you couldn't, that means you couldn't stop newbie SM John Doe from making recruiting brochures with his own designs or Cadet Snuffy from designing up CAP posters with cadets holding machine guns in rambo poses or the PAO couldn't control use of the unit's branding and emblem.  A commander absolutely has that level of control and authority.

The KB answer-minions sometimes smoke crack, or don't have a full grasp of the regulations; and by its very nature, the KB isn't definitive nor regulatory, only advisory in nature.

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on September 26, 2008, 01:28:27 AM
The unit commander can most certainly mandate what types of print communications your squadron members are making and handing out to the public. 

Absolutely, a Unit CC has complete and total authority, along with the corresponding responsibility, over every aspect of operations within the unit.

Every aspect, whether its where people stand, or who gets promoted.

In most cases, staff positions receive delegated authority, but responsibility can never be delegated.

The same is true for the increasing scope as you work up the chain.

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: davidsinn on September 25, 2008, 03:56:50 PM

That's because NHQ has tried to regulate what its identity collateral looks like -- though admittedly, it's not as clear-cut as it used to be.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 26, 2008, 01:44:40 AM
Quote from: Pylon on September 26, 2008, 01:28:27 AM
The unit commander can most certainly mandate what types of print communications your squadron members are making and handing out to the public. 

Absolutely, a Unit CC has complete and total authority, along with the corresponding responsibility, over every aspect of operations within the unit.

Every aspect, whether its where people stand, or who gets promoted.

In most cases, staff positions receive delegated authority, but responsibility can never be delegated.

The same is true for the increasing scope as you work up the chain.

I was going to design a template and get my CC's ok but I was fired by the acting CC tonight from the PAO position even though he said I was doing a good job so I guess we won't see how mandating it works.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

docspur

I'm so happy to work for FedEx Office (formerly FedEx Kinko's).  I'll not gloat over what I pay for my cards. <snicker snicker> ;D

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

James Shaw

I actually make my own depending on the event I am attending. I have a professional printing system that I use for my wedding invitation business that me and my wife own. I have a template that I use that prints the lines to cut out. We have a professinal sized paper cutter (I call it the finger guillatene) and they look as good as those I would have to pay for. It does raised printing and I can pick my own paper. I also make my own custom blotter pad sheets as well.

If I am going to a conference than I make no more than about 50. If I am going to be directing or attending something like a SLS/CLC where there is more direct contact than I would make enough for all.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

BuckeyeDEJ

CAP needs better branding and identity.  Using "US Air Force Auxiliary" isn't the answer, for the interim or the long term.

I disagree that "US Air Force Auxiliary" has some sort of instant brand recognition.  People understand "US Air Force," when they hear that, they're not going to think "volunteers in a non-profit organization that carries out cadet programs, emergency services and promotes aerospace education."   If you rely on that name, you'll actually reduce opportunity to distinguish who we are by constantly confusing us with being a part of the Air Force.  We're not.  We support them, they support us, we can and do act in a capacity as their Auxiliary, but we are Civil Air Patrol.

How many people hear "auxiliary" and think of the local hospital's auxiliary or the VFW ladies' auxiliary? A bunch of old women who sit around and raise money? That isn't CAP. "Auxiliary" isn't necessarily a word that brands us well.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Grumpy

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on October 18, 2008, 11:17:15 PM

How many people hear "auxiliary" and think of the local hospital's auxiliary or the VFW ladies' auxiliary? A bunch of old women who sit around and raise money? That isn't CAP. "Auxiliary" isn't necessarily a word that brands us well.

Actually, when I hear the term "auxiliary" I think of the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

EMT-83

Mine are patterned after the CAP seal - Civil Air Patrol under United States Air Force Auxiliary. I originally put CAP on top, but it didn't look right, seeing that the text is positioned right next to the seal.