Design a new CAP-distinctive Uniform

Started by kd8gua, November 09, 2009, 01:20:04 AM

Gunner C

Because it's MY Civil Air Patrol.  It was here, frankly, before the AF was.

AirDX

CAP, the Greatest American Heroes, we need a uniform like this:

Stitch on epaulets and berry boards, it's perfect!
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Gunner C

Slim

Quote from: Gunner C on November 11, 2009, 07:01:15 AM
Because it's MY Civil Air Patrol.  It was here, frankly, before the AF was.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Slim

lordmonar

Quote from: NCRblues on November 11, 2009, 01:02:57 AM
There is no second class member; I don't know where you are getting this idea from. You must allow people to treat you like second class if you feel like you are. I guess those leadership positions that wear the white and grays are second class according to you. The national commander must be second class because I have seen her in them, plus several region and wing kings must be as well.

Just because you don't think it is real does not mean it does not exist.  I see it all  the time within CAP.  Just look at this thread and you can see it in the way people talk about those who must or choose to wear corporate uniforms.   Just mention the polo shirt flying club and you will see it.  Suggest for 2 seconds that we eliminate the USAF style uniforms and you will see the ususall suspects who MUST have their USAF style unifroms or they will quit CAP.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Nolan Teel

Lets keep it simple and make everyones life that much easier... Get rid of all Uniforms in CAP but the Polo Shirts and Blue BDUS.  If you are on a ground team you wear blue BDUs everyone else put the polo on, I mean after all isnt that what everyones wearing these days?  At least in Dallas it is.

lordmonar

Quote from: Nolan Teel on November 11, 2009, 09:09:21 AM
Lets keep it simple and make everyones life that much easier... Get rid of all Uniforms in CAP but the Polo Shirts and Blue BDUS.  If you are on a ground team you wear blue BDUs everyone else put the polo on, I mean after all isnt that what everyones wearing these days?  At least in Dallas it is.

You need a flight suit and something more formal to wear to the awards ceremony....but I agree.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Nolan Teel

No flight suit needed, just wear the polo shirts and for a formal uniform, take that suit out of the closet!

NCRblues

Like I said before, I understand your points lordmonar; just disagree with having away with AF Uniforms. I guess joining the Air force security forces right out of high school then going AFOSI has given me the mentality that you can't give me a title unless I allow it, but I understand not everyone see's it this way. I see people every day ( and work with a few) that need those things in their life to feel important, be it a gun and badge, or AF blues in cap, or even simply bling on a shirt. Am I one of those that would walk away from CAP if the AF blues went away, no, because I love cap and I have since I was a cadet airman. I just don't believe that forcing all members to a corporate uniform will serve us well. Just IMHO.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Майор Хаткевич

So why won't people on the board work out a proposal to simplify CAP uniforms, address all the issues regarding lack of ribbons for the corporate uniform, etc, and submit them up the chain through their wings? I'm sure we have members from most if not all wings, why not try to push the top using a grassroots movement?

jacob

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 11, 2009, 12:45:52 PM
So why won't people on the board work out a proposal to simplify CAP uniforms, address all the issues regarding lack of ribbons for the corporate uniform, etc, and submit them up the chain through their wings? I'm sure we have members from most if not all wings, why not try to push the top using a grassroots movement?

I'd be all for that.  I've seen similar proposals with BDUs a number of times - at least designing them.  Never seen a grassroots effort to push proposals up the chain in every wing.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jacob on November 11, 2009, 01:06:29 PM
I'd be all for that.  I've seen similar proposals with BDUs a number of times - at least designing them.  Never seen a grassroots effort to push proposals up the chain in every wing.

Well maybe it's time to start.  They may not listen, but they will know that people support change.

If one person in each wing can agree to do this, and ask more local members to do it, at least 2-3 other people, you are already looking at 200+ proposals at wing level.

Angus

And what about those members who are here for Aerospace Education?  Not everyone does Emergency Services, I've got a few memebers in my Squadron who don't want anything to do with ES. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Eclipse

Quote from: Angus on November 11, 2009, 01:48:29 PM
And what about those members who are here for Aerospace Education?

The golf shirt or BDU's fits that need perfectly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fuzzy

Why is this still being suggested? Its just as self centered as someone suggesting that we get rid of corporate uniforms and get in shape.

C/Capt Semko

Eclipse

Quote from: Fuzzy on November 11, 2009, 06:45:30 PM

Why is this still being suggested? Its just as self centered as someone suggesting that we get rid of corporate uniforms and get in shape.

1) A lot of people here don't realize there is a search button which will show them mile-high pics of dead stallions out back.

2) The USAF vs. corporate uniform issue is a divisive situation which has been unresolved for a decade and most of us would like to see it closed once and for all.  If the USAF will not relax restrictions on weight and grooming, then the only alternative is to go corporate-only, which for 90% of the membership
is a more workable option.  Why?

A - Only a small percentage of the membership interacts regularly with the military in any way where having a similar uniform helps the situation.

B - An organization which professes equal opportunity in all things and which lives and dies by the benevolence and wallets of its members should never give even the hint of discrimination or favoritism in any way, shape, or form.

C - Corporate dress based on commercial variations of clothing provides a virtually unlimited supply channel for our membership versus the limited sources today.  In a situation where we have to "pay to play", the choices should not be limited either artificially or organically.

D - 100% of the membership can wear the corporate combinations today without having to make lifestyle compromises or changes that may or may not be possible, thus giving us a "uniform" appearance.  Not possible with the USAF combinations.

E - No one can show with any supporting evidence that a move to corporate only uniforms for seniors members would concern the USAF in the least.  If anything, they would likely sigh in relief as to never having to have the discussion(s) again, and we could all move away from this continuous bickering about 1/2 truths and assumptions and actually start living and dying by our mission performance.

My personal reaction to "E" would be "Hm...bummer.  I really liked the affliation and good feelings that came with the USAF blue.  Oh well, that was then, this is now."

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on November 11, 2009, 07:07:38 PM[G]o corporate-only, which for 90% of the membership
is a more workable option. 

Bob,

I know you are a CP supporter, and that you were talking about seniors here.  (I think).

But lest anyone reading this be mislead, remember that cadets represent some 40% of our membership, and when you add in the seniors who primarily work with and/or support the cadet program, you are talking about the majority of our membership.

And there is no serious movement to forcibly deprive cadets of the honor and responsibility of wearing USAF style uniforms in the USAF Auxiliary.

Ned Lee
National Cadet Advisor
(Cool job, crummy job title)

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on November 11, 2009, 08:55:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 11, 2009, 07:07:38 PM[G]o corporate-only, which for 90% of the membership
is a more workable option. 

Bob,

I know you are a CP supporter, and that you were talking about seniors here.  (I think).

I am not referring to cadet uniforms in this thread.  My comments are strictly regarding senior uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it has been my experience that CP SMs are expected to wear the same uniforms that the cadets wear. It was certainly that way back when we had no corporate uniforms, other than the blazer. Even today, it's strongly suggested.

I think having CP SMs dressed in a significantly different manner than the cadets they are mentoring would set a poor example, and be a detriment to our purposes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kd8gua

After doing some searching and Photoshopping, here is my $0.02 on the subject:

The BDU's are fine. I don't see a need to go to ABU or anything else at the current time.

As far as an alternate to Blues as a Corporate Service Uniform, here are my results.

This is a readily available police hat. The style oddly enough is called "Air Force Style." It is a dark navy blue. For Field Grade Officers the hat shown could suffice. Company Grade officers could wear the cap with silver chin strap and silver oak leaves (instead of Clouds and Lightning). General grade would wear the same, with the expanded number of oak leaves on the visor.

The male version of the service cap would be the only authorized version (for males and females), unless VG or another supplier would take on the task of making matching color Female Service Caps. Flight caps would also have to be custom made, unless the ones used by Navy JROTC are close enough in color. The small version SM flight cap device would be authorized for the flight cap.

The jacket is from the Fechheimer Brothers' Flying Cross line of public safety uniforms. These jackets are a very dark navy blue. None of the pockets are real, just scalloped flaps. On this jacket, you see the following:

-Standard gray CAP slides.
-Standard gray CAP Nameplate.
-CAP lapel cutouts.
-Optional use of CAP Wing/Region/National Patch (Overseas used for illustrative purposes)
-White Aviator shirt (already used for the TPU and white/gray combo)
-USAF Blue tie (Women may wear CAP floppy bow tie or tie tab)
-CAP ONLY ribbons.
-No sleeve braids.
-Rules for wear of badges and ribbons (again, CAP only) follow those currently in the 39-1 for USAF style.
-Would be authorized for wear by all seniors regardless of height/weight standards. Modified grooming standards, including the idea for neatly trimmed beards, would be authorized for this uniform.

There are matching Trousers available for this style coat. However, a uniform shade of Gray would most likely be acceptable with this coat as well, thus making this coat a "Class A" version of the Gray/White.

On this uniform, if not wearing the Coat, rules pertaining to current wear of the Aviator shirt for the Gray/White combo apply.

Comments?
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ